My side of the story (Falcon F/O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
corndog! YUM! (and yes, it's supposed to be naughty looking) ;)

but it'll probably change soon, so no worries :p

Good question. Is a pilot (Northwest for example) a scab when he flies a plane that has been worked on by scab mechanics if the real mechanics are on strike?

Depends on what the striking union designates as struck work. An MEC may demand that other employees not cross its lines. That's rare, though. Typically the struck work definition will only include the employees of that craft and class. In the specific case you mention at NWA, AMFA did not ask anyone else to honor their lines.

I'm not sure - ATN/Todd should weigh in here about whether the pilots honoring the picket line of FA's or vice versa is a legal job action or not.

It's definitely legal. Many people don't realize this, but the '89 EAL strike was actually an IAM strike, and ALPA merely honored their picket lines in a sympathy strike. Unlike the NLRA, the RLA does not prohibit sympathy strikes, technically called "secondary boycotts" or just "secondary actions." You can even honor the picket lines of employees at a completely different company, provided that your contract doesn't prohibit it.

Question from someone who is still pretty dumb about such things:

People in this thread have mentioned a "proceeding" or "process" that the Falcon F/O (accused scab) is going through...

Is there some way that he can have his named removed from the "scab list" via some decree from the Spirit MEC? Does he have the ability to go plead his case and get some kind of de-facto pardon?

It's possible. The SPA MEC will make the final decision on whether or not anyone is actually a true scab. Evidence will have been collected, and the MEC will review it and make a determination. The alleged scabs can always call the MEC and plead their case.

corndog! YUM! (and yes, it's supposed to be naughty looking) ;)

but it'll probably change soon, so no worries :p

I used to be quite proper and prudish until I met Qgar, Toria and you Kristie. I actually like your avatar despite it making me feel a bit ahem....inadequate.:eek:

There's a family awareness committee? hmmm i'm not even aware of that?! :eek:

I think they need to get the word out a bit more.

They normally don't gear up until Section 6 negotiations start. So, the last time SouthernJets would have activated Family Awareness would have been in 2000ish. I don't know if it was used during the concessions.

believe it or not, it seems to me that a lot of the ladies on JG don't talk because they're afraid their husband will see and quite a few of the wives have told me that their husbands have told them that they don't even like them being on the interweb talking about them and their professions...so it's somewhat of an uphill battle and has been for a while :p

So the first rule of JG is "Don't talk about JG?"

They normally don't gear up until Section 6 negotiations start. So, the last time SouthernJets would have activated Family Awareness would have been in 2000ish. I don't know if it was used during the concessions.
why would they start so late in educating? why not start at the beginning of the union career (no matter how many times you change spouses :p)

why would they start so late in educating? why not start at the beginning of the union career (no matter how many times you change spouses :p)

Well, generally the company only likes to run system bids for spousal trades on a twice yearly basis in order to minimize moving costs. Because of this, sometimes the company will TDY spouses to other basis for an extended period of time, choosing to pay the deadhead fees as opposed to the costs associated with a full on base change.

People of course do change their minds about base trades, so it's better to play it safe.

:)

I'd rather see anyone fired than become a SCAB. One is correctable. One is not.
Question: what would it do to a person's career being fired for refusing a flight and stranding an airplane? Ultimately when he applies for other jobs down the road, wouldn't this be sort of the scarlet letter for potential new employers just as much as being labeled a scab?

Personally, it sounds like that company is pretty crumby and doesn't give a flip about its employees, so losing that job shouldn't be a big deal especially if it doesn't pay very well.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in this lengthy thread but I don't have time to read all of these posts. Thanks

Question: what would it do to a person's career being fired for refusing a flight and stranding an airplane? Ultimately when he applies for other jobs down the road, wouldn't this be sort of the scarlet letter for potential new employers just as much as being labeled a scab?

Not at a union carrier it wouldn't.

I'm also with you on the fact that whatever the Spirit MEC decides to label him, that's what I will go by.

So, you're just going to go along blindly like a lemming, doing whatever "the union" tells you to do, and not apply your own judgement and wisdom to the situation?

Sounds like a typical union thug to me[modhat]This is more of a personal attack than a reasoned debate. Let's stay on task and be respectful . Maybe a good time to review the rules...http://forums.jetcareers.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules[/modhat]

So, you're just going to go along blindly like a lemming, doing whatever "the union" tells you to do, and not apply your own judgement and wisdom to the situation?

Sounds like a typical union thug to me

Wow, such sharp words for a newbie...geez.

In fact, I can make up my own mind...as of right now, he is a scab.

However, after it is reviewed by the Spirit MEC and ALPA National...if they say there is sufficient evidence to not label him as such, that's all well and good with me.

I have many many times voiced my displeasure with the Teamsters at Horizon Air, where I was a union member. I don't subscribe to the "if they say it, it must be true" theory.

I was taught at a very young age to think for myself and to make decisions for myself, because at the end of the day...I'm the one who has to answer for those decisions, no one else.

I will not though, under any circumstances go against any pilot union that is on strike. Those are my brothers and sisters in this small world we call "aviation".

So please, so everyone else here can learn your background...what is your experience with airlines/unions/airline management?

Sounds like a typical union thug to me[modhat]This is more of a personal attack than a reasoned debate. Let's stay on task and be respectful . Maybe a good time to review the rules...http://forums.jetcareers.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules[/modhat]

You are new around these parts so you might not understand that JC is a pretty tight nit bunch of folks. We are not just a bunch of random Internet users that join in gnash clusters but, a group of friends that like to talk with one another via the Internet. The point is, we know each other. I think the last thing SurferLucas has ever been called is "lemming" or "thug". And yes, that Falcon FO is a scab by definition until the Spirit MEC reviews the case and says otherwise.

I make the assumption that this person is an educated, intelligent, rational human who is capable of examining facts and making an informed, independent decision. I further assume that he is a competent, professional practicing in his field, and therefore has the standing within the professional community to say "Yes he is a scab because of this," or "No, he is not a scab because of that."

On the other hand, a union thug just sits back and waits for "the union" to tell him what to do. The poster has admitted that this is his intention. Ok, so I ask the question: Which are you?

On the other hand, a union thug just sits back and waits for "the union" to tell him what to do. The poster has admitted that this is his intention. Ok, so I ask the question: Which are you?

I think he answered that question rather clearly. Why don't you come out from behind the curtain and let us know what your background is.

To be fair, the two in question are, at this point "alleged scabs" just as someone who is under indictment is an "alleged felon". The union will determine the facts and make the call, just as the court would judge. So it is not just lemmings sitting around waiting to be told what cliff to jump from.
Things are not always black or white...wait.... things are almost never black or white.

There is enough information in the threads on this subject to realize this.

I found that one of the problems with internet board discussions, is that people come into a conversation without reading the earlier posts...this is akin to joining a discussion halfway through and taking a comment out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back