A little rant….

On the line, I keep my phone on airplane mode majority of the time. Here and there I’ll take it off, just to make sure nothing emergency like has happened with my son. Then after the chimes and dings, if it isn’t important, back on airplane mode. It’s been nice, I highly recommend.

99 percent of the time, the boomer captain is on the phone more than me, dealing with a broken boat or something.

On the line, I keep my phone on airplane mode majority of the time. Here and there I’ll take it off, just to make sure nothing emergency like has happened with my son. Then after the chimes and dings, if it isn’t important, back on airplane mode. It’s been nice, I highly recommend.

99 percent of the time, the boomer captain is on the phone more than me, dealing with a broken boat or something.
I just flew a 3 day with a captain who I’m pretty sure never put his phone in airplane mode as evidenced by the continuous popping in my headset

Oh, there was one I heard about who picked up a ringing telephone, on climb-out. WITH A FED ON THE JUMPSEAT.

And didn't understand why it was wrong.

It's a thing. I tell remind people to stay off the internet, stop taking videos because big airlines aren't going to notify you that you're in violation of company policy the moment you do it, but the information is stockpiled constantly.

So when you break something, do something stupid, or get vetted for other positions, THAT'S exactly when the "we see you logged onto SouthernJetsNet in-flight "X" numbers of times, your iPhone pinged the company systems each flight for six months, lots of interesting videos and photos in flight on IG and the exif data matches your operational leg, (etc)..."

I can't tell you how often the warning is shrugged-off but it comes up during every flight standards meeting, or if you end up having a cocktail or six with leadership.
I just don’t understand how these guys have the time and the brainpower to do this crap. Maybe I’m dumb and slow, but at least right now I feel like if everything goes well and I’m on top of it I have maybe like 15 minutes max to chill between the departure brief and the prior to push check, and I spend a lot of that mentally rehearsing the ballet of what happens next and double checking myself so the captain doesn’t have to walk me through EVERYTHING. I’m sure some of that goes away with experience but I feel awkward getting a selfie with the JEEETTTTT to send to the mrs and the kids, much less taking the time to film content.
Oh god, I’m sounding old aren’t I

Also if I ever post a video of my overhead panel setup flow to social media consider it a signal that I’m being held hostage and in desperate need of help. Ain’t nobody inspired by watching you hit the stick shaker test buttons.

Last edited:
For the shares, man! You aren’t trying to leverage your job as a pilot to build a legion of followers and then onto reality TV?
Maaaannnn, I’m just trynna make sure my wife and kids remember who I am until I can get a less • schedule and commute! Remember kids, don’t commute

*commutes even harder*

(Posted from an SFO jetbridge waiting for UAL to fix their jeeettttt so I can start the journey home [because Eskimo downgraded everything today to ArJays and they’re overbooked])

I just don’t understand how these guys have the time and the brainpower to do this crap. Maybe I’m dumb and slow, but at least right now I feel like if everything goes well and I’m on top of it I have maybe like 15 minutes max to chill between the departure brief and the prior to push check, and I spend a lot of that mentally rehearsing the ballet of what happens next and double checking myself so the captain doesn’t have to walk me through EVERYTHING. I’m sure some of that goes away with experience but I feel awkward getting a selfie with the JEEETTTTT to send to the mrs and the kids, much less taking the time to film content.
Oh god, I’m sounding old aren’t I

Also if I ever post a video of my overhead panel setup flow to social media consider it a signal that I’m being held hostage and in desperate need of help. Ain’t nobody inspired by watching you hit the stick shaker test buttons.

If you haven’t written a book about your journey by age 26, while posing with your pilot hat at the beach, and flexing muscles at a mirror and spraying god knows what on your body, then you aren’t a real pilot.

If you haven’t written a book about your journey by age 26, while posing with your pilot hat at the beach, and flexing muscles at a mirror and spraying god knows what on your body, then you aren’t a real pilot.

Dude, stop stalking people on the grams!

Maaaannnn, I’m just trynna make sure my wife and kids remember who I am until I can get a less • schedule and commute! Remember kids, don’t commute

*commutes even harder*

(Posted from an SFO jetbridge waiting for UAL to fix their jeeettttt so I can start the journey home [because Eskimo downgraded everything today to ArJays and they’re overbooked])

Ooof.

We’re all RJ’s after the last 220 left but there’s a seat at 1642 if you want to give that a shot.

When I first had my ass kicked off planet, Mesaba had Metros and Fokker F-27s (the whistle pig) and Express 1 was running Jetstreams. Mesaba was down at gate 1, while Express was down with the rest of the scooter trash at gate 89. Mesaba went through some Dash-8s change of clothes before they got to the Saabs, and I think Express went Saab as well.

You can still watch Bemidji launch all the Queenairs left in the world at 0700 every morning, though, same as it was 30 years ago.
Mesaba out-of-business is still a far better airline than Mesa or Go will ever be.

Back