My side of the story (Falcon F/O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF the situation is as Onno described he didn't knowingly fly struck work the first leg. That is a big IF. That still makes it him flying struck work, though. There is no way someone who woke up in the morning, looked in the mirror and knew he or she was going to scab later that day could repent. There is no penance good enough to absolve that!

But, I could theoretically see forgiveness for someone who didn't know (But realistically how likely is that a lie?) so long as he or she took prompt action to stop it, informed the appropriate people and took an effort to make amends. I think the chances are still remote, though, and should be. It would have to be a pretty remarkable story.

However, it is kind of an academic discussion because IMHO he is only repentant that he got caught and there will be consequences.

First leg is questionable, but although I don't know for sure I am betting that if you stranded that plane at the outstation after the first leg and immediately called the appropriate people at the Spirit MEC, and heck rent a car and drive back to throw yourself on their mercy yourself at the strike center they would have a lot more sympathy for you. They might have even handed you a sign and put you to work.

We'll never know, now, though.

FYI, San Salvador (MYSM) is an island in the Bahamas (on the outer side of the island group).

I am sorry that I crossed the picked line. I was pushed into it by my company. I also did not understand the implications. Right after I came back I called Falcon Air crew scheduling, and told them that I did not want to do this anymore. If there where to be any consequences for the decision not to fly anymore, then so be it.

Is this a quote?

But, I could theoretically see forgiveness for someone who didn't know (But realistically how likely is that a lie?)

Very. In his explanation, he realized this was a scab flight when he saw the photographer to which the captain replied they're probably striking spirit pilots. He had the chance. Frankly I do not believe anything the guy said but if his defense is self stupidity then all the power to him. But he did know it was a scab flight prior taking the runway. May god have mercy on his soul!!!

I am sorry that I crossed the picked line. I was pushed into it by my company. I also did not understand the implications. Right after I came back I called Falcon Air crew scheduling, and told them that I did not want to do this anymore. If there where to be any consequences for the decision not to fly anymore, then so be it.

Is this a quote?

Yes it is. I was pushed in this situation unknowingly. I later found out that I had crossed a picket line (unknowingly), and I am sorry for that.

Yes it is. I was pushed in this situation unknowingly. I later found out that I had crossed a picket line (unknowingly), and I am sorry for that.

Why weren't 98% of your fellow pilots pushed into it unknowingly? All you had to do was say no and the crew scheduler who could probably care less about your career would have gone to the next guy down.

Why weren't 98% of your fellow pilots pushed into it unknowingly? All you had to do was say no and the crew scheduler who could probably care less about your career would have gone to the next guy down.
Dude, that has been answered.

I would like to know how many passengers were on both flights. We know there were passengers going over. Were there passengers coming back?

Joe

What about the Falcon F/As that were working this flight? Are they facing the same scrutiny about working this flight?

At AA, the scab F/As from the strike of 93 are still very much ostracized to this day. One even went so far as to write a guest article in the APFA union magazine about her sorrow over scabbing, and that if she could go back in time she wouldn't do it again. Her excuse at the time was the "family to feed" etc, excuse. She talks about how none of the other F/As talks to her, except as is required per the manual to complete job duties. It's a very lonely life. The article was written in the spring of 2001, as we were in negotiations again, and facing another possible strike. The article didn't repair what she'd done, her label still stands, but she was trying to tell others not to make the same mistake she had.

Ignorance is not a valid defense. It sucks but I'd suggest you start working on a new profession quick. It may not be fair, you may have just made an honest mistake, but none of that will ever matter.

I must say though if you watch the SCAB video, the one blurry picture that was taken of the FO shows him smiling up a storm, which makes me think he really was clueless at that point.

What about the Falcon F/As that were working this flight? Are they [as they should] be facing the same scrutiny about working this flight?

At AA, the scab F/As from the strike of 93 are still very much ostracized to this day. One even went so far as to write a guest article in the APFA union magazine about her sorrow over scabbing, and that if she could go back in time she wouldn't do it again. Her excuse at the time was the "family to feed" etc, excuse. She talks about how none of the other F/As talks to her, except as is required per the manual to complete job duties. It's a very lonely life. The article was written in the spring of 2001, as we were in negotiations again, and facing another possible strike. The article didn't repair what she'd done, her label still stands, but she was trying to tell others not to make the same mistake she had.

Good question. Is a pilot (Northwest for example) a scab when he flies a plane that has been worked on by scab mechanics if the real mechanics are on strike? Were TWA pilots scabs for working with scab FA's during the IFFA strike in the mid-80's? I would say to the Falcon FA question, "NO" they are not scabs. The pilots are scabs for sure - but the FA's are not. Just my "hunch" - unless not honoring another unions picket line - even a different category and class of job - is scabbing.

I think for those of us who aspire to enter the 121 world, all of us would be well advised to read every word in this thread. This is a life lesson unfolding. Everyone on this site likes to fly airplanes, but this is the other side of what goes on. Take note and hopefully no one on this site ever gets themselves into such a situation, as unlikely as it is to "run into" one.

To the OP, I respect you coming forward, and wish you luck in your career as it seems that you are in a whole mess of trouble. I must say, one question that was asked really made me wonder, and has yet to be answered. Did you or the CA not say "Welcome aboard Spirit flight..." over the PA? Surely you didn't say "Welcome aboard flight NKS1234"...or was the PA made during your walk around or while you were getting your picture taken perhaps(though I know first hand you can clearly hear PAs from the inside of a jetway)?

Good question. Is a pilot (Northwest for example) a scab when he flies a plane that has been worked on by scab mechanics if the real mechanics are on strike? Were TWA pilots scabs for working with scab FA's during the IFFA strike in the mid-80's? I would say to the Falcon FA question, "NO" they are not scabs. The pilots are scabs for sure - but the FA's are not. Just my "hunch" - unless not honoring another unions picket line - even a different category and class of job - is scabbing.

It is totally different job groups, so I can see where it would not be "official" scabbing. Me, personally, I just couldn't work a flight knowing that it was being operated to fly struck work...

It is totally different job groups, so I can see where it would not be "official" scabbing. Me, personally, I just couldn't work a flight knowing that it was being operated to fly struck work...

I think the TWA guys in 1985 were pretty staunch ALPA guys, but I think that they HAD to work the flight. I don't think there was any out for them to legally not work the flight. I'm not sure - ATN/Todd should weigh in here about whether the pilots honoring the picket line of FA's or vice versa is a legal job action or not.

To the OP, I respect you coming forward, and wish you luck in your career as it seems that you are in a whole mess of trouble. I must say, one question that was asked really made me wonder, and has yet to be answered. Did you or the CA not say "Welcome aboard Spirit flight..." over the PA? Surely you didn't say "Welcome aboard flight NKS1234"...or was the PA made during your walk around or while you were getting your picture taken perhaps(though I know first hand you can clearly hear PAs from the inside of a jetway)?

If it was a Falcon-operated flight, at least at some point they would have had to say "operated by Falcon Air".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back