Bad First Impression

What would you do?

• Let sleeping dogs lie?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell him it created a bad first impression?

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Tell him it’s not okay?

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other. (Please comment )

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
There are major airlines that require pilots to “check in?” I thought that was just a regional thing. (Serious… no snark).

We do. Our previous iteration of our crew app was geofenced, which I think was good. The new one isn't and basically just signifies that you're going to be there on time... But I can check in the night before from PHOENIX at 1700 that I'll be in Detroit at 1700...

But you still have people missing commutes and/or simply not showing up on time so what efficacy does the check-in function even have. At least before you knew to start looking for your other crewmember, but now, well, I guess he's gonna show for brief? :)

An hour prior? WTF.

International we get a call from the front desk one hour from pickup as well.

Which, under FAR 117, is good. If we wake up early in anticipation working, but our inbound flight is several hours late, it's going to cause duty/rest issues because times CAN be tight with augmented flying. So it's essentially, "well, pick up is at 1300, but if we don't call by 1200, we'll quietly slip a note under your door with the new anticipated call and pickup time"

There's nothing like that little scratch under the door in AMS when the inbound crew was late which meant a nice leisurely breakfast and maybe a trip to the gym.

International we get a call from the front desk one hour from pickup as well.

Which, under FAR 117, is good. If we wake up early in anticipation working, but our inbound flight is several hours late, it's going to cause duty/rest issues because times CAN be tight with augmented flying. So it's essentially, "well, pick up is at 1300, but if we don't call by 1200, we'll quietly slip a note under your door with the new anticipated call and pickup time"

There's nothing like that little scratch under the door in AMS when the inbound crew was late which meant a nice leisurely breakfast and maybe a trip to the gym.

For us we get nothing, just no wake up. It’s a bit weird when they haven’t updated your schedule yet and you don’t have a wake up call, but it’s their responsibility. Just takes some getting used to.

It is a bit startling when you are expecting to wake up when it’s still dark, but when you open your eyes it’s day time. But I will always take bonus sleep. There’s no better on the road than having a delayed wake up make up for a night of less than fantastic sleep.

We do. Our previous iteration of our crew app was geofenced, which I think was good. The new one isn't and basically just signifies that you're going to be there on time... But I can check in the night before from PHOENIX at 1700 that I'll be in Detroit at 1700...

But you still have people missing commutes and/or simply not showing up on time so what efficacy does the check-in function even have. At least before you knew to start looking for your other crewmember, but now, well, I guess he's gonna show for brief? :)

At my regional you’d have to check in online at the crew lounge. None the less, somebody wouldn’t show, you give them a polite amount of time to not narc them, then call scheduling. “Oh, it looks like he hasn’t checked in…”

Never understood why we did it if it didn’t result in some sort of process if someone wasn’t there on time.

At my regional you’d have to check in online at the crew lounge. None the less, somebody wouldn’t show, you give them a polite amount of time to not narc them, then call scheduling. “Oh, it looks like he hasn’t checked in…”

Never understood why we did it if it didn’t result in some sort of process if someone wasn’t there on time.

Speaking of showing up AT ALL. I know a chief pilot who dealt with a string of new hires being called on reserve that literally told the schedulers "Nah, I have plans today, I can't do that trip" -- WHEN they're on reserve.

I have so many stories for "Beer Time"

So in those long-ago days when I worked rotating shifts at 911, there was a fairly large body of study done on the impact of shift work on circadian rhythm, and the resultant impact on the lives of those so impacted. None of the evidence seemed especially positive on the human body and psyche.

How in the world do you guys and gals develop an effective routine for living a healthy and long life given the uncertain nature of call-times, schedules and so forth?

Speaking of showing up AT ALL. I know a chief pilot who dealt with a string of new hires being called on reserve that literally told the schedulers "Nah, I have plans today, I can't do that trip" -- WHEN they're on reserve.

I have so many stories for "Beer Time"

Back at Surejet I had a good one. Captain didn’t show, I waited until it was obvious that he wasn’t just running late and called scheduling. Got a replacement, started the trip. Day two, original captain joins the trip and tells me what happened. He had a few weeks off and just kind of got in the groove of not working. Was home in Texas mowing the lawn when he saw scheduling was calling him. He laughed it off, then the panic hit.

He had to go down to Atlanta for a meeting a couple days later.

And I guess since my old company is out of business I can tell the story that had me the most scared for losing my job.

In my final two weeks before moving on to my current place of employment. Was working with a fantastic flight attendant that I worked with in my IAD days. Just a fantastic person who took care of everyone and was so much fun to be around. It was like flying with your mom, but hilarious.

So early morning she messaged me that her commute to DTW wasn’t going well. She’d be there for departure, but was probably going to miss sign in. Our company was specifically militant about flight attendants being on time, but cared a lot less about pilots. So she asks if I could sign her in. I told her that I’d do it, but only once I see that her flight was in the area.

Fast forward a few hours, I see her flight getting close in FlightAware, so I clock her in…and they enter holding. After what seems like an eternity, they land and she calls me apologizing profusely and offering to do whatever we needed to do to keep me out of trouble.

Our best resolution was for her to call scheduling, say that she arrived on time but was stuck in a bathroom stall for quite some time. I went to the gate, where the gate agent was particularly inquisitive. I went up front, closed the door, and told the captain what happened.

I forget exactly how late we were, but all is well that ends well. I was particularly concerned that had i been let go that my new company might be less than amused with my story, but thankfully the story of bubble gut was bought by scheduling and the rest of the trip was normal.

And I guess since my old company is out of business I can tell the story that had me the most scared for losing my job.

In my final two weeks before moving on to my current place of employment. Was working with a fantastic flight attendant that I worked with in my IAD days. Just a fantastic person who took care of everyone and was so much fun to be around. It was like flying with your mom, but hilarious.

So early morning she messaged me that her commute to DTW wasn’t going well. She’d be there for departure, but was probably going to miss sign in. Our company was specifically militant about flight attendants being on time, but cared a lot less about pilots. So she asks if I could sign her in. I told her that I’d do it, but only once I see that her flight was in the area.

Fast forward a few hours, I see her flight getting close in FlightAware, so I clock her in…and they enter holding. After what seems like an eternity, they land and she calls me apologizing profusely and offering to do whatever we needed to do to keep me out of trouble.

Our best resolution was for her to call scheduling, say that she arrived on time but was stuck in a bathroom stall for quite some time. I went to the gate, where the gate agent was particularly inquisitive. I went up front, closed the door, and told the captain what happened.

I forget exactly how late we were, but all is well that ends well. I was particularly concerned that had i been let go that my new company might be less than amused with my story, but thankfully the story of bubble gut was bought by scheduling and the rest of the trip was normal.
Exigent circumstances often require creative solutions. Glad it worked out for the people involved😎

So in those long-ago days when I worked rotating shifts at 911, there was a fairly large body of study done on the impact of shift work on circadian rhythm, and the resultant impact on the lives of those so impacted. None of the evidence seemed especially positive on the human body and psyche.

How in the world do you guys and gals develop an effective routine for living a healthy and long life given the uncertain nature of call-times, schedules and so forth?
Oh that’s easy. Like every great super hero I have a super power and a weakness.

Super power. The ability to go to sleep just about any time I attempt it.

Weakness. Can not sleep more than about 4 hours.

I figure my circadian rhythm is already pretty screwed.

Back at Surejet I had a good one. Captain didn’t show, I waited until it was obvious that he wasn’t just running late and called scheduling. Got a replacement, started the trip. Day two, original captain joins the trip and tells me what happened. He had a few weeks off and just kind of got in the groove of not working. Was home in Texas mowing the lawn when he saw scheduling was calling him. He laughed it off, then the panic hit.

He had to go down to Atlanta for a meeting a couple days later.

My two favorite no-show stories aren’t mine… But people have flown with.

The first is much like your story. Dude had a stretch of days off and just totally blanked that he had a trip coming up. Scheduling called him and he had a panic attack. He mea culpaed to the CP and nothing bad happened to him.

The best I’ve heard is from a woman who was non-revving in Europe on her days off. She completely forgot she had an automated criteria premium trip pick up loaded in our trading system. Sure enough, she gets a notification that she just picked up 100% premium pay trip… And the best part is it’s flying to the exact country that she was currently in from Newark. She had enough time to get on a plane back to the states and arrive just before show. She called the chief pilot and explained what was going on and said she didn’t have a uniform, but she had made it back for her trip. They let her fly in regular clothes.

Brings up an interesting thought. Why did they change the app? If the app is on a company provided device that's one thing but requiring you to put an app on your phone that tells the company where you are is another. Where I worked that wouldn't have gone over well. The union would have issues because the pilot group would have issues. People freaked when the company gave us I pads and the union had to get a commitment from the company that they wouldn't be used in any sort of tracking manner. Sounds like that isn't a big deal elsewhere. I had to google geofencing, and realize that's different from tracking, but that's still sort of invasive. But just curious why your old app had it and the new one doesn't?

Brings up an interesting thought. Why did they change the app? If the app is on a company provided device that's one thing but requiring you to put an app on your phone that tells the company where you are is another. Where I worked that wouldn't have gone over well. The union would have issues because the pilot group would have issues. People freaked when the company gave us I pads and the union had to get a commitment from the company that they wouldn't be used in any sort of tracking manner. Sounds like that isn't a big deal elsewhere. I had to google geofencing, and realize that's different from tracking, but that's still sort of invasive. But just curious why your old app had it and the new one doesn't?

I mean, if the company owns the device, they've got a right to track it. If you don't want to be tracked when you're not at work, leave the device at home or in the hotel.

This seems pretty simple to me. What impact to/decrease of freedom am I missing here?

The concern was the company using the device to render discipline based on tracking. I forget the exact wording but it wasn't so much that they couldn't/shouldn't track the device but that they couldn't use that information against you.

Nah, I don’t think they were doing that, as whenever you checked in, you would have to ‘allow’ the device to send your location, it wasn’t a persistent ability to track.

Maybe I’m the weird one, but if I loaned someone my car, you bet your ass I’m going to check the app to make sure you aren’t participating in an intersection takeover or cruising for hookers and cocaine. So I assume that whenever I have the companies device on me, they’re keeping an eyeball on it too because it’s not mine.

Nah, I don’t think they were doing that, as whenever you checked in, you would have to ‘allow’ the device to send your location, it wasn’t a persistent ability to track.

Maybe I’m the weird one, but if I loaned someone my car, you bet your ass I’m going to check the app to make sure you aren’t participating in an intersection takeover or cruising for hookers and cocaine. So I assume that whenever I have the companies device on me, they’re keeping an eyeball on it too because it’s not mine.

They issue us very nice iPad pros to use as EFBs, and we are allowed to load whatever software we want on it - they don't lock it down, and they do have central app-pushing or whatever it's called to manage the thing.

That being said - we were told that while we can load whatever we want, and use it however we want, use good judgment. Because if "something happens" and Sauron/The FAA/NTSB turn their omniscient eye on you, that iPad will be scrutinized to a degree that looks like a CSI episode.

I shrugged and said ok and the only thing I've loaded on it is a dummy iCloud account so I can share my iBooks library with it and read.

Also - to @DE727UPS point earlier - if I was told to load a company app on my personal device, I'd have some issues with that. But with a company-issued device, I'll acquiesce to their requirements regarding usage.

Back