Bad First Impression

What would you do?

• Let sleeping dogs lie?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell him it created a bad first impression?

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Tell him it’s not okay?

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other. (Please comment )

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
I think we can all agree that you should be at the airplane prior to boarding time. The expectation is that the airplane be powered up and a walk around performed before boarding. Then you’ve got the roughly 30 minutes during boarding to make your next, set up the cockpit, program the box, etc.

the obvious caveat is a reserve pilot, or pilot who received a late schedule change.
Oh definitely. I think every airline has a report time and a departure time. Though my airline mandates report time as the time you sign in AT THE AIRPORT. That can be problematic, especially when the company pushes a LOT of procedure changes via comply, we’re in section 6, and people are reporting then hanging out in the crew room to get familiar with the changes while my probie ass is getting harassed by the gate agent and lead FA are grilling me why the captain isn’t here at D-15.

I remember a vague feeling of "where am I and what am I doing" on my OE1. Maybe not so vague. Maybe just really wondering what to do with my hands. Fun side note, I didn't realize the uniform pants would arrive not hemmed, and I noticed this at like 2200 at the hotel the night before. So I did what any reasonable FO would do, and I rolled them into the pant legs to an approximate fit, and walked really strangely for 2 days straight, hoping they wouldn't unravel. Somehow I forgot to preflight my gear......
ugh, my new uniform is in a box over there, I guess I should open it and see this abomination for myself (and also go get the pants hemmed).

I think we can all agree that you should be at the airplane prior to boarding time. The expectation is that the airplane be powered up and a walk around performed before boarding. Then you’ve got the roughly 30 minutes during boarding to make your next, set up the cockpit, program the box, etc.

the obvious caveat is a reserve pilot, or pilot who received a late schedule change.
Or in RJ-land, where "report time" to the airport is 45-prior but the major partner expects power on (which the station never does for some reason that's never been quite clear to me) and the cabin preflight completed for boarding at D-35.

Moving report time 15 minutes might blow up their already fragile pilot staffing, though. Non-hypothetical.

I’m thinking there’s probably a pretty big generational difference here as well.

If my scheduled shift or work activity starts at 0800, I’ll be in position and ready to work at 0800. Anything before that is MY time. I don’t have much desire to use my time for making a pot of coffee or talking to Linda in the break room. There’s nothing wrong doing those things… and since I’m not perfect at making my 20 minute commute take exactly 20 minutes chances are I’ll be there a bit early to engage in those things. I show respect to my employer and coworkers by being in position when I’m supposed to be. If they want more than that they should reevaluate my responsibilities.

Now I’m not saying it’s ok to be consistently 5 minutes late to log log into your phone, or open your cash register, or unlock the gates or whatever, but to err is a fundamental human trait. Being unable to forgive an error seems foolish. And frankly, and this may seem kind of confrontational (I don’t mean it that way), I’m not terribly worried about someone’s opinion of me that can’t forgive.

I had a distant uncle, started as a basic cashier/floor employee for a clothing store, a chain store in Canada. He’d show up 20-30 minutes before work, even before his boss was there. And he’d stay about 15 minutes after people left. His boss was impressed by his timeliness and work ethic. Soon became store manager. Then later he became a manager of several stores. Then a district manager. Finally, an entire area manager, which came with a corporate car since he had to drive to different sites, a gas card, and a six figure salary to go with it.

The guy who showed up at 8am because anything before 8am is his time? Probably still punching a time card.

I like how it’s called “hussle culture.” Here’s the problem. Turns out, you aren’t the only human being. There’s billions more. And a portion of them can do the same job you can. So who do you think is going to be selected?

The only reason Gen Z is pulling off what are these days is because of the job market. Just watch a real economic downturn, one where the govt doesn’t mail checks to 335 million Americans.

This “generational difference” is not compatible for airline pilots. Report time is 8am? You should be there at or before 8am. Your flight was supposed to land at 530pm and you were off clock at 545pm, but now your flight is delayed and you don’t land until 7pm? I, frankly, don’t want to hear the BS of how the company “stole” from your time. If you feel so strongly about, slow to 180 kts at 530pm and jump out of the airplane. Consider yourself off the clock.

He told me he was in the lounge having coffee
I can't believe anyone still goes to the lounge these days unless it's an extended sit in a base. I usually mash the checkin button from the parking lot right at an hour prior and get to the gate as the airplane is pulling up, I try to keep my karma clean by letting the AM'er FO make a run for it instead of doing the walk around.

As for all the glee demanding extra work and being a hard ass let me remind you all of how one company shaved off a fifth of its stock price when the CEO fired off a nasty memo to his employees demanding more work. And this was in 2001 so well before Gen Z or even Millennials were in the workforce.

I can't believe anyone still goes to the lounge these days unless it's an extended sit in a base. I usually mash the checkin button from the parking lot right at an hour prior and get to the gate as the airplane is pulling up, I try to keep my karma clean by letting the AM'er FO make a run for it instead of doing the walk around.

As for all the glee demanding extra work and being a hard ass let me remind you all of how one company shaved off a fifth of its stock price when the CEO fired off a nasty memo to his employees demanding more work. And this was in 2001 so well before Gen Z or even Millennials were in the workforce.

Heh. Our checkin app is geo-fenced and knows when you’re in the airport terminal building. You can’t check in from the parking lot with it - have to be inside the building.

Heh. Our checkin app is geo-fenced and knows when you’re in the airport terminal building. You can’t check in from the parking lot with it - have to be inside the building.
Ours isn't geofenced and the only requirement is on airport property. And with our new contract if you're stuck in traffic it falls under the commuter policy and doesn't count as a no show.

There are major airlines that require pilots to “check in?” I thought that was just a regional thing. (Serious… no snark).
We have to check in one hour prior to departure time on the first day of a paring, after that we are just required to be at the gate 30 mins prior for subsequent days. Used to have to check out while on reserve when finishing up a paring on the last day but that has gone away with the new contract as well. Now if there is no additional flying added to your schedule then you are automatically released.

There are major airlines that require pilots to “check in?” I thought that was just a regional thing. (Serious… no snark).
Yeah we have to check in 1 hour before on day 1 of a pairing and 45 before on subsequent days - don’t have to on a turn or anything like that.

“Socially awkward, smells funny, and will NOT shut up about about ‘when I was flying air taxi in the (caravan, Navajo, Cherokee)’….”
5E62E3AD-778E-4EF2-88CA-828E05BCCFBE.jpeg

Interesting. At my shop you just show up when you’re supposed to.

What to the other Majors do? Think we’ve covered Alaska, United and JB so far.

At UPS, in domicile, you have to check in an hour prior on a computer in ops at the beginning of a pairing. After that, you show up when you are supposed to with no company monitoring although the gateway will start wondering where the pilots are if they don't see you 30 min prior to departure. For a pairing that starts with a commercial positioning, you have to do an online check in 12 to 24 hours before the scheduled commercial flight leaves the domicile, even if your not taking that flight. That was the stupid one. I could be flying SEA to ORD on Alaska but had to remember to do my check in based on the scheduled commercial deadhead from SDF to MDW on SWA.

I had a distant uncle, started as a basic cashier/floor employee for a clothing store, a chain store in Canada. He’d show up 20-30 minutes before work, even before his boss was there. And he’d stay about 15 minutes after people left. His boss was impressed by his timeliness and work ethic. Soon became store manager. Then later he became a manager of several stores. Then a district manager. Finally, an entire area manager, which came with a corporate car since he had to drive to different sites, a gas card, and a six figure salary to go with it.

The guy who showed up at 8am because anything before 8am is his time? Probably still punching a time card.

I like how it’s called “hussle culture.” Here’s the problem. Turns out, you aren’t the only human being. There’s billions more. And a portion of them can do the same job you can. So who do you think is going to be selected?

The only reason Gen Z is pulling off what are these days is because of the job market. Just watch a real economic downturn, one where the govt doesn’t mail checks to 335 million Americans.

This “generational difference” is not compatible for airline pilots. Report time is 8am? You should be there at or before 8am. Your flight was supposed to land at 530pm and you were off clock at 545pm, but now your flight is delayed and you don’t land until 7pm? I, frankly, don’t want to hear the BS of how the company “stole” from your time. If you feel so strongly about, slow to 180 kts at 530pm and jump out of the airplane. Consider yourself off the clock.
Do I really need to explain the difference between an operational necessity and vs sticking around to like push wheel chairs or throw bags or some crap?

I’ve got no problem staying late for overtime or if work runs late. What I’m not doing is showing up early so I can demonstrate my hustle.

Good for your uncle, but being a regional manager in retail or whatever doesn’t interest me.

Last edited:
Interesting. At my shop you just show up when you’re supposed to.

What to the other Majors do? Think we’ve covered Alaska, United and JB so far.

At Atlas you get a wake up call pushed to the company phone an hour prior to van time. Other than being in the lobby at van time, that’s it.

So almost every airline ive worked for has had some sort of sign in mechanism at the start of the trip that has been enforced in varying degrees. None of them have had a requirement to sign in mid trip.

To continue my "tales of my OE" story, I think it was OE4 (the last one) before I knew I needed to check in on day 1. I have no idea what crew skeds did or didn't do, never heard a word about it. But then again, I probably mashed Fit for Duty 90 mins prior/exactly when the release hit the iPad anyway, so they might not have been wondering where I was after all. Today, my routine is to sign in as I'm riding the bus from the parking lot, i.e. when I pretty much know I'm gonna make it.

Back