A little rant….

A300Capt

Freight Dawg
Ugh, I’m probably gonna regret this when I sober up and get trashed with the usual “Ok..Boomer” type of responses, I try to keep my post upbeat but I guess got a little triggered recently. Yep…I guess I’m showing my age.

During some of my retired free time I occasionally like to watch some YouTube videos on “A day in the life of an airline/corporate pilot“ or any other profession I find interesting. This usually ends up with me going down a rabbit hole with all kinds of profession related videos. Some I have subscribed to are the Blancolirio reports and flying with big Ern. I find them well done and entertaining, for the most part, and take comfort in the fact that “I don’t have to do that anymore” but fun to reminisce. There are other Vloggers that I think put out good content for the general public, wannabes and young folks about aviation that I watch. They maintain a professional attitude, content and I respect their expertise and opinion on aviation related subject matter. Some serious, some comical and some a mix.

My rant has more to do with what’s becoming an increasingly common type of “Vlogger” that seems to pop into my aviation feeds lately. It usually consists of the relatively young, new hire jetjock emphasizing the “I’m an AIRLINE PILOT” mantra while practically filming their entire existence walking around and showing a day in the life…. This also usually include (lately) them walking around shirtless in their hotel rooms as they ready themselves for work. Is this important for the video? Sometimes just a towel wrapped around them as if they just walked out of the shower. I mean, who doesn’t get out of the hotel shower on a layover, wrap a towel around themselves (make sure it very waist low) and think, “Hey, let me grab my iPhone and film a short video and put it on social media for a bunch of strangers to gawk at….maybe I’ll get a chick’s number….or a dude, whatever you’re in to.

During their layovers they then film themselves working out (shirtless, of course) while flexing in the mirror and explaining to their audience this is the “airline pilot” lifestyle. At this point I half expected to see them oiled up, shirtless with jeans wearing Ray Bans and playing beach volleyball prior to checking out of the hotel. I get to see them adding gel to their styled hair, putting on their skincare products, multiple rings on their fingers and wrist bands (I guess this is a thing nowadays) before putting on their uniform shirt which is clearly a size too small to show their chiseled physiques.

Now, I’ll admit, I wish I had their physique when I was younger…I didn’t. My problem is the lack of filtering and this constant insatiable need to film yourself every minute of the day, you know…for content, and then posting all over social media for a bunch of strangers to view as if you’re the most interesting man in the world...you’re not. I thought initially I was gonna see videos about airline flying mostly from a technical side of things. What I get is an episode of “The Bachelor…Desperation Island“ along with someone explaining their laughable Looooong 5 year *struggle* from start of PPL to flying the big jets!

One vlogger I recently came across (Pilot Pete) flies for FedEx. I initially thought, cool….I’ll be able to relate and looks interesting. I quickly grew tired of this young man’s demeanor, the constant over emphasis on I’m an “Airline Pilot” with the accompanying cheesy swagger and smile along with the over exaggerated annunciation of “I’m flying the B767”. The worst is after the flight he usually ask the Capt to “rate his landing” on a scale 1-10 as he’s basically begging for positive affirmation for himself and to share with his audience. Off camera the Capt usually mumbles something complimentary while you watch Pilot Pete soaking in the compliment as if he just received a participation trophy. How about….pack your sh*t up expeditiously so we can get off this thing and get to the hotel van or drive home!

Does anyone else find these videos cringe worthy, embarrassing and unprofessional?? Is it just me? Had I done ANYTHING remotely like this at Brown during my career I would’ve been quickly marched into the CP office and then probably booted off the company property before I had a chance to get my phone out and call the union. Do these folks even take a second to think about how the company could use these videos against them in a disciplinary hearing/firing or how the FAA may view them? Most of them seem awfully young to potentially gamble their careers away like this.

IDK….I guess it’s a much different world and profession then the one I grew up in. Spend less time staring at an iPhone, do your job quietly and professionally. Be humble in success and gracious in defeat.

Ugh, I’m probably gonna regret this when I sober up and get trashed with the usual “Ok..Boomer” type of responses, I try to keep my post upbeat but I guess got a little triggered recently. Yep…I guess I’m showing my age.

During some of my retired free time I occasionally like to watch some YouTube videos on “A day in the life of an airline/corporate pilot“ or any other profession I find interesting. This usually ends up with me going down a rabbit hole with all kinds of profession related videos. Some I have subscribed to are the Blancolirio reports and flying with big Ern. I find them well done and entertaining, for the most part, and take comfort in the fact that “I don’t have to do that anymore” but fun to reminisce. There are other Vloggers that I think put out good content for the general public, wannabes and young folks about aviation that I watch. They maintain a professional attitude, content and I respect their expertise and opinion on aviation related subject matter. Some serious, some comical and some a mix.

My rant has more to do with what’s becoming an increasingly common type of “Vlogger” that seems to pop into my aviation feeds lately. It usually consists of the relatively young, new hire jetjock emphasizing the “I’m an AIRLINE PILOT” mantra while practically filming their entire existence walking around and showing a day in the life…. This also usually include (lately) them walking around shirtless in their hotel rooms as they ready themselves for work. Is this important for the video? Sometimes just a towel wrapped around them as if they just walked out of the shower. I mean, who doesn’t get out of the hotel shower on a layover, wrap a towel around themselves (make sure it very waist low) and think, “Hey, let me grab my iPhone and film a short video and put it on social media for a bunch of strangers to gawk at….maybe I’ll get a chick’s number….or a dude, whatever you’re in to.

During their layovers they then film themselves working out (shirtless, of course) while flexing in the mirror and explaining to their audience this is the “airline pilot” lifestyle. At this point I half expected to see them oiled up, shirtless with jeans wearing Ray Bans and playing beach volleyball prior to checking out of the hotel. I get to see them adding gel to their styled hair, putting on their skincare products, multiple rings on their fingers and wrist bands (I guess this is a thing nowadays) before putting on their uniform shirt which is clearly a size too small to show their chiseled physiques.

Now, I’ll admit, I wish I had their physique when I was younger…I didn’t. My problem is the lack of filtering and this constant insatiable need to film yourself every minute of the day, you know…for content, and then posting all over social media for a bunch of strangers to view as if you’re the most interesting man in the world...you’re not. I thought initially I was gonna see videos about airline flying mostly from a technical side of things. What I get is an episode of “The Bachelor…Desperation Island“ along with someone explaining their laughable Looooong 5 year *struggle* from start of PPL to flying the big jets!

One vlogger I recently came across (Pilot Pete) flies for FedEx. I initially thought, cool….I’ll be able to relate and looks interesting. I quickly grew tired of this young man’s demeanor, the constant over emphasis on I’m an “Airline Pilot” with the accompanying cheesy swagger and smile along with the over exaggerated annunciation of “I’m flying the B767”. The worst is after the flight he usually ask the Capt to “rate his landing” on a scale 1-10 as he’s basically begging for positive affirmation for himself and to share with his audience. Off camera the Capt usually mumbles something complimentary while you watch Pilot Pete soaking in the compliment as if he just received a participation trophy. How about….pack your sh*t up expeditiously so we can get off this thing and get to the hotel van or drive home!

Does anyone else find these videos cringe worthy, embarrassing and unprofessional?? Is it just me? Had I done ANYTHING remotely like this at Brown during my career I would’ve been quickly marched into the CP office and then probably booted off the company property before I had a chance to get my phone out and call the union. Do these folks even take a second to think about how the company could use these videos against them in a disciplinary hearing/firing or how the FAA may view them? Most of them seem awfully young to potentially gamble their careers away like this.

IDK….I guess it’s a much different world and profession then the one I grew up in. Spend less time staring at an iPhone, do your job quietly and professionally. Be humble in success and gracious in defeat.
Don't watch it, that's the first start. But also... I do get your point. I find the various vloggers insufferable as well.

Most of them are pretty bad and basically clones of each other.

Hey watch me pick up a clearance to Bloomington!

A lot of you have been asking me to do a video of what’s in my flight bag!

Like this one we all made fun of a few years ago. Not sure why anyone would find what he does on his days off interesting, though admittedly there is something fascinating about making a video on such a boring and mundane subject:

I'm convinced you're just noting a cultural change, and one which is hard for us "old farts" (OK, Boomers) to embrace. I'm only a wanna-be to the industry, but the videos such as you note ARE (imo) cringe-worthy, embarrassing and unprofessional. The world has changed around us🤷‍♂️

I'm convinced you're just noting a cultural change, and one which is hard for us "old farts" (OK, Boomers) to embrace. I'm only a wanna-be to the industry, but the videos such as you note ARE (imo) cringe-worthy, embarrassing and unprofessional. The world has changed around us🤷‍♂️
Interestingly, there’s a decent amount of pilot influencers that are boomers so it doesn’t seem to just be the gen z or millennial crowd. Narcissism knows no age. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job and wouldn’t do anything else but I also have hobbies lol. Since my daughter was born 6 months ago, that’s basically my instagram news feed now.

Last edited:
I think you admitted you’re a boomer? At least that was the inference. It’s worth pointing out that you’re now two full generations behind the current flavor. Stuff changes.

I’d agree they are cringe and unprofessional, but even those things change and evolve over time.

I think you admitted you’re a boomer? At least that was the inference. It’s worth pointing out that you’re now two full generations behind the current flavor. Stuff changes.

I’d agree they are cringe and unprofessional, but even those things change and evolve over time.
Speaking as one (a legit Boomer with a birthday in 1954), I'd note that not only is it hard to keep up - despite trying - but it's damned near impossible to ignore or set aside a lifetime of ingrained expectation🤷‍♂️ I'd be willing to bet the same is true for you young bucks once you get to this point in life.

Of course, I won't be around to pay off if I'm wrong; still, I'm guessing many of you will be as surprised at the changes to what you "knew" as the future unfolds as us old farts ... err ... Boomers ... have been.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to watch some of what you watch Bill. What are the worst three? I got Pilot Pete. I like Blancolirio, think he does a pretty good job.

The only pilot Youtube thing I watch is a missionary pilot in New Guinea flying a Kodiak I discovered a week ago. He does an awesome job and really enjoy his stuff.

As to not clicking on it. I suppose that works but you could also attempt to engage them on professionalism and respect for the career.

A young lady UPS pilot released a really nice short video on facebook recently. I thought I posted it here. I think making dumb videos at UPS wouldn't go over too well with the company or the pilot group. After all, the company has a don't take photo's on the property rule. Not that anyone follows it but they could try to use it against you.

And for the record, I'm friends with the youngest pilot ever hired at K4. Hired at 21. Last thing he'd ever do is make self aggrandizing video.

Like this one we all made fun of a few years ago. Not sure why anyone would find what he does on his days off interesting, though admittedly there is something fascinating about making a video on such a boring and mundane subject:

That’s the boner pill guy!

It’s pretty easy to avoid tranny porn if you don’t want to watch tranny porn.

Binge watch YouTube and TikTok videos featuring puppies and kittens for a week and the airline content will disappear.

On the other hand, if you like tranny porn, continue watching tranny porn without complaining about tranny porn.

No tranny’s were harmed in the making of this post.

Back