Bad First Impression

What would you do?

• Let sleeping dogs lie?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell him it created a bad first impression?

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Tell him it’s not okay?

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other. (Please comment )

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
They issue us very nice iPad pros to use as EFBs, and we are allowed to load whatever software we want on it - they don't lock it down, and they do have central app-pushing or whatever it's called to manage the thing.

That being said - we were told that while we can load whatever we want, and use it however we want, use good judgment. Because if "something happens" and Sauron/The FAA/NTSB turn their omniscient eye on you, that iPad will be scrutinized to a degree that looks like a CSI episode.

I shrugged and said ok and the only thing I've loaded on it is a dummy iCloud account so I can share my iBooks library with it and read.

Also - to @DE727UPS point earlier - if I was told to load a company app on my personal device, I'd have some issues with that. But with a company-issued device, I'll acquiesce to their requirements regarding usage.
All that is true, but the NTSB stuff applies to your personal device too.

They issue us very nice iPad pros to use as EFBs, and we are allowed to load whatever software we want on it - they don't lock it down, and they do have central app-pushing or whatever it's called to manage the thing.

That being said - we were told that while we can load whatever we want, and use it however we want, use good judgment. Because if "something happens" and Sauron/The FAA/NTSB turn their omniscient eye on you, that iPad will be scrutinized to a degree that looks like a CSI episode.

I shrugged and said ok and the only thing I've loaded on it is a dummy iCloud account so I can share my iBooks library with it and read.

Also - to @DE727UPS point earlier - if I was told to load a company app on my personal device, I'd have some issues with that. But with a company-issued device, I'll acquiesce to their requirements regarding usage.

You had the the option to load micrew onto your personal device but it was part of the native package of apps that are on the ipad.

You know what’s hilarious are the amount of adults that freaked the heck out when the company said they didn’t want Tik Tok on the company device or any device that had the Southernjets profiles to interface it with corporate.

”Hey soon-to-retire Jethro, what are you doing on TikTok?”

You had the the option to load micrew onto your personal device but it was part of the native package of apps that are on the ipad.

You know what’s hilarious are the amount of adults that freaked the heck out when the company said they didn’t want Tik Tok on the company device or any device that had the Southernjets profiles to interface it with corporate.

”Hey soon-to-retire Jethro, what are you doing on TikTok?”

We have something similar called JetCRW, and I went ahead and put it on my personal phone because it's just a hell of a lot more convenient that way.

I'm convinced that pilots are just an ornery lot and and telling them (okay, us) to do anything that isn't their (our) idea - no matter how good for them (us) - will result in anger, outrage and seventh-dan mansplaining and finger pointing.

Speaking of showing up AT ALL. I know a chief pilot who dealt with a string of new hires being called on reserve that literally told the schedulers "Nah, I have plans today, I can't do that trip" -- WHEN they're on reserve.

I have so many stories for "Beer Time"

Friend of mine is working in (your) SEA office. It sounds, in some respects, worse than trying to herd around a bunch of 20 yr old airmen on a port call to the Middle East. WTF haha.....these are people being paid somewhere between $150k-1M depending on seat/seniority and total green slip value

You’re not going to change his or he attitude, and neither will pro stands. If he or she is fine afterwards, I wouldn’t say anything move on. If it’s clear that every leg will be an uphill battle, I’d nip it sooner than later.

I’ve had captains do exactly as you described, (show up late, coffee in hand, not interested in doing anything) but as an FO, it’s a little different.

Speaking of showing up AT ALL. I know a chief pilot who dealt with a string of new hires being called on reserve that literally told the schedulers "Nah, I have plans today, I can't do that trip" -- WHEN they're on reserve.

I have so many stories for "Beer Time"
jesus-christ-truck.gif
jesus-christ-truck.gif

jesus-christ-truck.gif
jesus-christ-truck.gif

I’m thinking there’s probably a pretty big generational difference here as well.

If my scheduled shift or work activity starts at 0800, I’ll be in position and ready to work at 0800. Anything before that is MY time. I don’t have much desire to use my time for making a pot of coffee or talking to Linda in the break room. There’s nothing wrong doing those things… and since I’m not perfect at making my 20 minute commute take exactly 20 minutes chances are I’ll be there a bit early to engage in those things. I show respect to my employer and coworkers by being in position when I’m supposed to be. If they want more than that they should reevaluate my responsibilities.

Now I’m not saying it’s ok to be consistently 5 minutes late to log log into your phone, or open your cash register, or unlock the gates or whatever, but to err is a fundamental human trait. Being unable to forgive an error seems foolish. And frankly, and this may seem kind of confrontational (I don’t mean it that way), I’m not terribly worried about someone’s opinion of me that can’t forgive.

It’s not always generational. I’ve always been the 10 minutes early is late kind of guy, but my wife, who is the same age, is a +/- 30 minutes kind of gal. She shows up late to work, doctor’s appointments, etc. Drives me insane.

It’s not always generational. I’ve always been the 10 minutes early is late kind of guy, but my wife, who is the same age, is a +/- 30 minutes kind of gal. She shows up late to work, doctor’s appointments, etc. Drives me insane.
Oh No definitely not entirely generational, though I think a good chunk of it is… especially as it relates to work/employment. See the silent quitting “movement”.

I guess now, I should be glad they showed up at all, maybe sure I offer an affirmation and a trophy.

SHELLFYYYYYYY *click* ohhh, that didn’t come out…. SHELLFYYYYYYYYYYY, tag me In it!

Maybe the night shift wouldn’t NEED to go home 15 early if they didn’t show up 30 early?
A bit late into the discussion again but I just came across this in the early morning today. Not suggesting it should be the norm anywhere else but emergency services is a strange animal in many ways and it's generally what we do across all disciplines. Just shared for understanding from a broader perspective and not with any sense that it should be the "norm" for all.

"Night shift started at 1800 hrs. but most of us came in an hour early. The ones who didn't came in even earlier. Didn't want to miss anything. After turning in the pack, relieving your man and telling your officer, "I'm with you," we would gather in the day room and talk. It never took long for things to go downhill, and our favorite targets were the slobs going home and the slackers relieving us in the morning. When we grew tired of picking on people who weren't there we would pick on each other.

Never have I laughed so hard, or so freely as I did at those tables, when grown adults tasked with keeping our community safe were behind closed doors where nobody could hear us, and we were able to just be ourselves, and do what people who knew all to well how quickly it all could change do.

We kept it light, and waited for the bell to tip, made dinner, made fun of dinner but ate it all anyway, cleaned up after ourselves until one by one the group moved on, some to call home, some to call it a day, others to stand on the ramp and solve the problems of the world.

When it was time, we all got back together, put on our gear and out the door in less than a minute, ready for whatever waited. When whatever it was that called was done, no matter how difficult, we came back home, sometimes talked a little, sometimes just went back to the rack to wait for the next one.

Or morning. Whatever came first.

Life in the firehouse is a life like no other. To experience it is to experience how to live.

Really live."

I had a distant uncle, started as a basic cashier/floor employee for a clothing store, a chain store in Canada. He’d show up 20-30 minutes before work, even before his boss was there. And he’d stay about 15 minutes after people left. His boss was impressed by his timeliness and work ethic. Soon became store manager. Then later he became a manager of several stores. Then a district manager. Finally, an entire area manager, which came with a corporate car since he had to drive to different sites, a gas card, and a six figure salary to go with it.

The guy who showed up at 8am because anything before 8am is his time? Probably still punching a time card.

I like how it’s called “hussle culture.” Here’s the problem. Turns out, you aren’t the only human being. There’s billions more. And a portion of them can do the same job you can. So who do you think is going to be selected?

The only reason Gen Z is pulling off what are these days is because of the job market. Just watch a real economic downturn, one where the govt doesn’t mail checks to 335 million Americans.

This “generational difference” is not compatible for airline pilots. Report time is 8am? You should be there at or before 8am. Your flight was supposed to land at 530pm and you were off clock at 545pm, but now your flight is delayed and you don’t land until 7pm? I, frankly, don’t want to hear the BS of how the company “stole” from your time. If you feel so strongly about, slow to 180 kts at 530pm and jump out of the airplane. Consider yourself off the clock.

CC: Employees are expected to work above and beyond the scope of the job description.

Also CC: The company pays us to follow the FOM, FCOM, GOM, Opspecs etc. to the letter. If it isn't in those manuals, I don't do it.

CC: Employees are expected to work above and beyond the scope of the job description.

Also CC: The company pays us to follow the FOM, FCOM, GOM, Opspecs etc. to the letter. If it isn't in those manuals, I don't do it.

Where’d I say the latter?

I mean, I follow those manuals. But if there’s something I can do for a passenger to make their flight better, I will.

“You follow the rules of the job you signed up for.”

Was that supposed to be an insult?

Where’d I say the latter?

I mean, I follow those manuals. But if there’s something I can do for a passenger to make their flight better, I will.

“You follow the rules of the job you signed up for.”

Was that supposed to be an insult?

It isn’t an insult, but an observation on how being an airline pilot is a very regulated and clearly defined position with parameters a step by step guidance to follow. You don’t get promoted at an airline by staying late and cleaning toilets. Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

Friend of mine is working in (your) SEA office. It sounds, in some respects, worse than trying to herd around a bunch of 20 yr old airmen on a port call to the Middle East. WTF haha.....these are people being paid somewhere between $150k-1M depending on seat/seniority and total green slip value
I mean, given what I've seen of the way airlines hire, that sounds right.

Back