40 Year Old Career Changer - Looking for Advice

Two suggestions for you: 1. Talk to current students to gauge their experience. It's good to chat with the staff, but you will be a customer first, so talk to customers to find out what they liked and didn't like. 2. Think about where you want to work. If you can transition from student to instructor. It sounds like you're planning to instruct, and if so you will spend more time as a CFI than as a student, so be sure to evaluate every place as a job offer and not just as a place to get yourself to the airlines. Where would you like to make a difference and impart a love of aviation on others? Where do you see yourself doing that the best? What company would you like to help succeed? I don't mean to suggest that this is the only job offer you'll ever get, but if you approach the decision from both the student and instructor perspectives, you will make a better decision.

Only thing I could add is the CFI is a pretty specialized rating. If you can find a CFI at your school with a good track record of getting guys through then that's great. You'll have some time to decide on this as you continue thru your training. There are schools out there that really focus on the CFI and getting guys through that. That's all they do. When the time comes you might ask around here about places to go for that. As I recall there is one in Phoenix that was highly recommended.

Check out this youtube video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5bT2UtO4Ig&list=PL9A5YmMmjcl5_ZxKLDcV2rwPY6xE1FDlh

It's the above mentioned flight school owner being interviewed by a prospective pilot. They talk about pricing and program contrasts with ATP. I've been to his place and he's a hands on owner that's been doing it a long time.

Agree with the first class medical comment above. If there is an issue there you want to know before you blow a bunch of money.

ATP is a huge school with a "system" that they don't vary from. Proven track record. They get more hours cause they do time building with two pilots logging the time on one flight. It's legit according to the FAA in a special situation. You could probably "split time" like this at a smaller, more informal, flight school if you found someone to do it with. I see people asking about this from time to time at the SoCal Aviators facebook page.

When considering the small school, though, look at number of planes, number of CFI's, and the owners willingness to work with a guy who wants to go "accelerated" with his training. No reason one can't get a lot done in a shorter time at a smaller school if they are open to it and equipped for it.

The best thing about your situation is, I would presume, the ability to get back into your present career if things don't work out for whatever reason. You worry about your age being an issue but you have an advantage over the young in that this isn't your first career rodeo. How many young guys spend a ton of money on flying, drop out, and end up with a different career? Many, trust me. I'm on this other facebook page called "raising aviation teens" and all they talk about is getting their kids to the airlines ASAP at any cost. ATP looks cheap compared to Riddle. They have little understanding of the history of this career and how it can come to a screeching halt from time to time. And I believe a lot are getting into the career for the money and not for the love of flying.

Best of luck. You did good to post here.
Thx @DE727UPS @derg
Been out of commission
Found a stow away a few weeks ago
Happy to help

Attachments

• IMG_1916.jpeg
    IMG_1916.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
Timeline: I'm trying to determine at this point how long this will take me. I'm committing to this full time once I start, and ideally (weather and maintenance permitting) I can fly five days a week. If I understand correctly, I'll be paying for rental and instruction up until I get my CFI certification and 250 hours for commercial, and then at the point I can start working as an instructor. I'm really intrigued by the idea of instructing as I am currently an educator.

I've heard that this process from zero to Commercial/CFI cert can take as little as 7 months and up to even a year, depending on my commitment, study habits, availability, maintenance, weather, examination availability, etc. For me time is money as I will be doing this full time, so I want to commit myself to it fully to get back to work as soon as possible. Do people have any insight on how long it will take me to get to my CFI cert based on their experience?

I'm sure it is possible to be a CFI in 7 months, but most of that is probably out of your control. I had a student wait over 8 months last year due to DPE discontinuances and availability. The situation is somewhat better right now (still not great).

Right now, I would suggest getting the private license first, while you have a job. Probably about $15k these days. It probably won't take much longer than if you were doing it full time, to be honest, if you are flying every weekend day the weather permits. Get the medical, and the private pilot written exam done now. I don't know why this is, but getting students to do the written is one of the hardest things I deal with as an instructor. And the test is not even remotely difficult. I personally won't solo students that have not passed the written.

The hours after you get a private license up until CFI/Commercial can be accomplished a bunch of ways. I mostly did them in gliders (or towing gliders), but flying light sports, being a safety pilot for friends, or flying in friend's airplanes -- it can be a lot cheaper depending on what you want to do and who you know. The light sport CFI only requires 150 hours TT, and that time all counts just the same.

Most importantly, thanks for asking great questions, and I wish you the best of luck!

Holy crap, how does anyone pay for flight training today? $185/hr + $75/hr instructor for I assume a single engine Cessna? That's more than instruction in a twin was when I was doing my civilian training.

Holy crap, how does anyone pay for flight training today? $185/hr + $75/hr instructor for I assume a single engine Cessna? That's more than instruction in a twin was when I was doing my civilian training.

The school I instruct at is $130 dry (roughly another $40/hr fuel) + $80 for instruction and we’re one of the cheaper schools around. I wonder how people pay to do their PPL in a Cirrus.

Regarding the question of how long all of this will take, here is a data point for you. Of my last 7 scheduled flights, I had to cancel 5 of them. One due to illness, one due to crosswind exceeding limits, two due to widespread low-IFR without suitable alternates, and one due to a maintenance issue found during preflight. I think it's like the stock market. There will be ups and downs that are hard to forecast. You just know that the more effort you put in sooner, the better off you will be in the long run. I would not bank on being done and employed in 7 months, although I am sure that works out in some cases. Give yourself a flexible end date as far as your financial needs are concerned. For instance, my spouse's income is sufficient for covering all of our expenses as living on 50% has always been our natural state.

Regarding the question of how long all of this will take, here is a data point for you. Of my last 7 scheduled flights, I had to cancel 5 of them. One due to illness, one due to crosswind exceeding limits, two due to widespread low-IFR without suitable alternates, and one due to a maintenance issue found during preflight. I think it's like the stock market. There will be ups and downs that are hard to forecast. You just know that the more effort you put in sooner, the better off you will be in the long run. I would not bank on being done and employed in 7 months, although I am sure that works out in some cases. Give yourself a flexible end date as far as your financial needs are concerned. For instance, my spouse's income is sufficient for covering all of our expenses as living on 50% has always been our natural state.

This is a fair point, and for those of you reading this in some of the less-year-round-hospitable climates, it's worth noting. The mid-Atlantic and northeast states, and upper midwest can be brutal with the duration of weather conditions adverse to training.

There is an upside to this, too - you will get days where it's just sporty enough to go up and really learn something about wind correction, turbulence, etc - but those days are fewer and far between.

The OP is, I believe, in SoCal where this is less of an issue, although I'm told the marine layer can be a challenge to those without an instrument rating - I have no direct experience out there with it.

This thread is what JC is all about, I love it. Welcome to the group, seems like you have the right motivation and perspective and the aviation community will be lucky to gain you within the ranks. Best of luck with it and keep us updated. I live in the San Diego area, if you’re ever down that way let me know!! Any friend of @Screaming_Emu must be good people 🙂

I found the old clapped out 172 I soloed in 25 years ago still flying around. It’s moved a couple of states… but now its in New Jersey…. i called up the flight school and on an EWR overnight I went out to go fly the 172 I hadn’t seen in 23 years…. It’s a different color paint now... It’s missing a few avionics boxes… still steam gauge…. Which is goood. Because the last time I flew a 172 was 18 years ago.. it had a g1000 panel and I couldn’t fly the 172 at all….

I flew it with an instructor…. the instructor is 60 something…. CFI for 40+ years…. He has tons of young students all trying to get their hours to get to the airlines while the getting is good….

the 1974 (50-years old!) 172 that I paid $60/hr for 25 years ago goes for $175/hr now.. the instructor went up to $65/hr from $15/hr.

anyways, after the 1.2 hr flight tooling around McGuire in the old 172 I soloed and got my private single engine airplane add on in, I was grinning ear to ear like a kid again…. Reminicing about the fun times I had flying it around solo 25 years ago…. But nope 172s are flying death traps and I don’t think I’ll be doing that again…. Maybe a few more years on another EWR overnight if it’s still flying I’ll go back out and get reacquainted.

Hah nice, that's pretty cool! I think my first solo plane is still at the same school, same paint, everything. Don't think I could just rent it out though, not being part of their program. Cool idea though!

Back