Is the jumpseat truly yours as a (regional) captain?

If I got bumped off the jumpseat so someone's wife could get on I would be absolutely irate and make sure I notified my jumpseat coordinator.

Does said wife have priority for the Jumpseat? If so, then it’s her seat. The reason for the trip is irrelevant. Now if they bypassed you to let her on, then I agree 100%.

I've run into this situation twice now. My fiancee takes the redeye to meet me in LAX to follow me on an overnight. The gate agent says the plane is full and my pilot fiancee is second in line behind someone else.

First time, it was an off-line jumpseater. She had to run to another carrier and ended up in that jumpseat all the way to YVR. I felt horrible asking her to do that. While we were waiting to find out if she would make the flight a United FO said to me, its your jumpseat and you can have whoever you want in it.

Second time, an AA jumpseater was listed ahead for an American Eagle flight I was working. He obviously had priority based on the FOM. I waited at the gate and was going to explain the situation and ask/tell him I wanted my fiancé in the jumpseat instead of him. Turns out there were seats and it wasn't a problem.

I work for Compass and as such the planes aren't ours. So I don't feel like the jumpseat is our either. I feel like we are a temp agency for DL and AA. We are there just to fill the seats as hired labor.

Anybody have an opinion to share about this situation?
Very simple solution. You walk up to the jumpseater and explain the situation, be respectful and shake his hand. Any pilot who demands to leave your fiancée behind is a tool and not a gentleman.

Very simple solution. You walk up to the jumpseater and explain the situation, be respectful and shake his hand. Any pilot who demands to leave your fiancée behind is a tool and not a gentleman.
If I’m going to work I won’t give up the Jumpseat so your gf can ride. Call me what you will but I’m not missing my trip so you can get laid at a holiday inn.

If I’m going to work I won’t give up the Jumpseat so your gf can ride. Call me what you will but I’m not missing my trip so you can get laid at a holiday inn.
well his fiancee is a crewmember and he's the captain. Go find another ride. He's not responsible for getting you to work. You choose to commute. Move to your base if you don't like getting bumped from a jumpseat

well his fiancee is a crewmember and he's the captain. Go find another ride. He's not responsible for getting you to work. You choose to commute. Move to your base if you don't like getting bumped from a jumpseat

I can see so much wrong with that stance. OAL vs own metal, if both own metal, than seniority between the two. Sure, in the end it’s the captain’s decision, until the Pro Stans committee comes calling.

I can see so much wrong with that stance. OAL vs own metal, if both own metal, than seniority between the two. Sure, in the end it’s the captain’s decision, until the Pro Stans committee comes calling.
I dont disagree with you. Technically the rules should be followed. My stance is the guys trying to get on his fiancee. A lot of problems can be figured out with a little diplomacy.

I don’t care if his fiancé is the queen of England. If seniority dictates I get the seat and he bumps me for his fiancé then I’ll be in touch with my jumpseat committee.

I dont disagree with you. Technically the rules should be followed. My stance is the guys trying to get on his fiancee. A lot of problems can be figured out with a little diplomacy.
By diplomacy you mean the CA kicking off a jumpseater in FOM order in order to get his fiancée in the jumpseat out of order? Doesn’t sound diplomatic to me. You can bet I’d be calling my union.

Wouldn't shake ur hand and I wouldn't even give you the curtosy of letting you know prostands and jumpseat committee will both get a call before you've made it to cruise.
petty move
You think that's petty, you should talk to my company's payroll department about me.

Pro Stands has all the enforcement authority of the janitor. It’s a great program, but it only works if the guy they’re talking to has a desire to conform.

I don’t care if his fiancé is the queen of England. If seniority dictates I get the seat and he bumps me for his fiancé then I’ll be in touch with my jumpseat committee.

And what do you think the jump seat committee can do about it?

Should he deny a jumpseat outside of normal policy reasons? No (unless it’s a SCAB). But let it go and move on. It’s his jumpseat.

Given I don’t ha e to worry about jump seats, anymore- the jump seat is a privilege, and nobody is guaranteed access.

If My FO is going to be bent out of shape and focused on his wife/fiancé not making the flight on his own airplane then it’s becomes a safety issue. That leaves me with two options. Remove the FO or remove the jumpseat.

Which one is easier for me to remove?

Wouldn't shake ur hand and I wouldn't even give you the curtosy of letting you know prostands and jumpseat committee will both get a call before you've made it to cruise.

You think that's petty, you should talk to my company's payroll department about me.
Ahhhhh. You made me smile when I read this. I love not having to fly with guys like you anymore. There’s always one of you that comes around once a year.

All you other guys pay attention because this is important. You guys know when we hear weird stories about the company firing guys for things that don’t add up? It’s because of that 1% that are a thorn in the companies behind. The company has to devote enormous amounts of energy for problem pilots who always cause problems. I know because I was one of them during our union drive in 2005. It taught me a big lesson on how not to act, and unimportant I was, and little power I actually had. I luckily had a great chief pilot group that recognized I had learned from my mistakes. Don’t learn from these guys bad habits. It will only poison your mind and hurt you in the long run.

Last edited:

I can’t remember because my memory has slowly deteriorated but are you that guy at NJC a few years back that was ackwardly standing next to me and a female NJC member at the bar while we were having a drink? I remember she just stopped talking to me and looked at you like wth do you want.
By diplomacy you mean the CA kicking off a jumpseater in FOM order in order to get his fiancée in the jumpseat out of order? Doesn’t sound diplomatic to me. You can bet I’d be calling my union.
no ones kicking anybody off anything. Hence why I said go talk to the guy. You commuters don’t own that jumpseat. If you don’t like it, move to your base.
I once got denied because a wn captain said he can’t stretch out with me sitting in the seat behind him. Oh well, off to the next flight I went

Ahhhhh. You made me smile when I read this. I love not having to fly with guys like you anymore. There’s always one of you that comes around once a year.

All you other guys pay attention because this is important. You guys know when we hear weird stories about the company firing guys for things that don’t add up? It’s because of that 1% that are a thorn in the companies behind. The company has to devote enormous amounts of energy for problem pilots who always cause problems. I know because I was one of them during our union drive in 2005. It taught me a big lesson on how not to act, and unimportant I was, and little power I actually had. I luckily had a great chief pilot group that recognized I had learned from my mistakes. Don’t learn from these guys bad habits. It will only poison your mind and hurt you in the long run.
Hehe, no I haven't been to any njc or whatever events.

But its funny while you talk about and encouraging guys to cowboy up I'm the one that has to get them out of trouble, at least i used to, retired from it. Luckily, they call me before they do anything stupid you tell them to do, even though I don't volunteer anymore. You're the one who is attached to every crazy story, and you get to be a frequent flyer by association, and the last one like you resigned before termination. It's ok, your kind never likes me, im too straight laced and "by the book" which never computed to me, ive read the book a few times, I'm hardly by the book.

Hehe, no I haven't been to any njc or whatever events.

But its funny while you talk about and encouraging guys to cowboy up I'm the one that has to get them out of trouble, at least i used to, retired from it. Luckily, they call me before they do anything stupid you tell them to do, even though I don't volunteer anymore. You're the one who is attached to every crazy story, and you get to be a frequent flyer by association, and the last one like you resigned before termination. It's ok, your kind never likes me, im too straight laced and "by the book" which never computed to me, ive read the book a few times, I'm hardly by the book.
Geez, someone got personal real fast. There’s no hidden feelings in there is there? :)

Cowboy up? My last posts talked about diplomacy and talking thru it. Hardly by the book? I hope you’re pretty close to being by the book. Your employer pays you to operate the way the book says.

This got weird.
Tell me about it lol
He’s referring to when I was “let go” at my last job. Me and another pilot from the same ethnic background were let go from a small south Florida based airline. My guess is one of his buddies on here read these messages and PMd him details.

Back