Oh Corpies LX

You aren't going to be cool ever. Just boring. And you are probably fat and look like a middle aged man too.
IMG_4819.jpeg

Did you go that high so you wouldn’t have as many bird strikes on the trailing edges?
🤓

Cruising at FL450 and M.72…..

Christopher Brian Bridges, Ludacris or just Luda, wrote a song about that.

As I understand it, the 410 club thing was specifically at Pinnacle, and it was because 41,000 was the CRJ's service ceiling. Having such a club is incredibly juvenile in the first place, but you presumably wouldn't have a "410 club" for an aircraft that can reach 470. Maybe a "470 club" at most.
If you think THAT's juvenile clubby stuff... well, don't join the military.

Oh Commies LLX:

And in similar fashion;

I can't even describe how virulently I despise headlines like that.

"Pushed the limits" says the headline, while in reality it was just a couple of amped up kids who executed a garden-variety activity extremely poorly.

Had this been a car and they steered as poorly as they flew that night, they might have taken out a mailbox. But this was aviation. And as the aviation-wise say, "It's not dangerous, it's just extremely unforgiving of mistakes."

The Lear 45/75 service ceiling is also 510. Flights of any length we would be at FL400-FL430. FL450 (and rarely FL470) for weather/fuel concerns.

I was an SIC when we got our first 40's & 45's. On a long range trip coming back from the west coast with the chief pilot, we requested block altitudes, left the thrust levers pushed up, and let it climb at constant airspeed (M0.75 maybe?). We were within a few hundred feet of FL500 when we got a descent from ATC. No, we weren't tempted to zoom that few hundred feet... can't say we liked being all the way up there honestly. Never went above FL470 after that, and only went there when weight/conditions made it easy. No test pilot stuff, thank you.
In the Lear at 510, it's not test pilot stuff, it's just usually VERY soggy.

In the Lear at 510, it's not test pilot stuff, it's just usually VERY soggy.
I was talking about the possibility of doing stupid pilot tricks to get to FL500, or FL510, or whatever. We were well within reasonable operating parameters doing what we did, and had zero desire to run close to, or beyond, normal operations just for stupid bragging rights. Thus the "test pilot" quip.

I fully understand that there is the capability to get to FL510 in normal (although limited) operations.

Did 41-45 a few times in the CE550/560. It was nice to climb that high to get above weather and traffic (especially along the east coast north/south) or make it across the country eastbound. The 560 Encore could do it relatively easily. But we were a roadblock up there at .70, so it will prepare me for XLR flying on the tracks when they start showing up (someday)

But while it’s quiet and calm (and useful), the idea of time of useful consciousness is always in your mind. The Bus is limited to 39 and that’s fine with me.

Back