Jumpseat Etiquette- What would you do?

At my shop, we're supposed to meet all jumpseaters on the jet. If you're assigned a seat, I don't need to see you at all and generally appreciate the lack of interruption.

When SJ first got the JS in 96, they had a 8 part jump seat form.

Press hard.

But it never works that way. Can’t tell you how many SWA gate agents screw up sending wheelchairs down first, then those who need to meet the Capt. All that ends up happening is that the other preboards, and then A1 - A30 start coming down the jetway, themselves jammed up behind those who need to visit the Capt, who are jammed up behind wheelchair people taking a long time to even get onboard. Who all get further jammed up by the person(s) needing to say hi to the Capt.
That’s what is supposed to happen. Wheelchairs, then jumpseaters.
Some gate agents will let you go down beforehand, which is nice. But technically that’s not the order outlined in their manual.

Drop your bag outside the entry door, ask to meet the Captain. (Or drag it with you and tuck it in behind you as best you can so people can get past). Then grab your stuff and enjoy a window or aisle seat pretty much anywhere you want that isn’t row one or an exit row. The idea is that you’re early enough in the boarding process that you’ll have no trouble finding overhead space and you won’t get stuck in a middle seat.

Will there be traffic jams sometimes? Yup, it’s a baby Boeing and there isn’t much room in the forward galley, so make the best of it.

I got seriously chewed out for this, problem is at they don’t tell you this until after you FUBAR. Is like tribal knowledge. To the best of my research it wasn’t written anywhere. Maybe it is now, I don’t ride SW frequently.
We probably got chewed out by the same guy.

I usually chat up the gate staff...then I help with the wheelchairs so I am first donw the ramp. then i pop in and say hellp to CA and FO ,..then I get out of the way by stepping back out onto the jetbridge. And if need I help gatecheck bags. Ofter folks just assume I work for the carrier and hand me their bags!! I love it! Keeps things moving fast!! Then one all boarded ...I step back in the fwd galley and chill until time to close up.
Works everytime. I NEVER get heated over revenue pax. I let the crew manage that. Good night.

I usually chat up the gate staff...then I help with the wheelchairs so I am first donw the ramp. then i pop in and say hellp to CA and FO ,..then I get out of the way by stepping back out onto the jetbridge. And if need I help gatecheck bags. Ofter folks just assume I work for the carrier and hand me their bags!! I love it! Keeps things moving fast!! Then one all boarded ...I step back in the fwd galley and chill until time to close up.
Works everytime. I NEVER get heated over revenue pax. I let the crew manage that. Good night.

Don’t feel obligated to push wheelchairs. If you get hurt, or the passenger gets hurt, SWA isn’t going to do anything to help you.

After you check in with the crew, just take a seat. No need to stand on the jetway until everyone has boarded. We’ll page you if we need you to sit on the actual jumpseat. With a little luck someone will no-show and you’ll already be snuggled into your semi-comfortable aisle seat.

That’s what is supposed to happen. Wheelchairs, then jumpseaters.
Some gate agents will let you go down beforehand, which is nice. But technically that’s not the order outlined in their manual.

Drop your bag outside the entry door, ask to meet the Captain. (Or drag it with you and tuck it in behind you as best you can so people can get past). Then grab your stuff and enjoy a window or aisle seat pretty much anywhere you want that isn’t row one or an exit row. The idea is that you’re early enough in the boarding process that you’ll have no trouble finding overhead space and you won’t get stuck in a middle seat.

Will there be traffic jams sometimes? Yup, it’s a baby Boeing and there isn’t much room in the forward galley, so make the best of it.

Eh, am talking others not JSing.

Just got pulled over for speeding a couple of weeks ago. Full grown Smokey barely said a word to me… he and my wife had a good conversation. Im not really sure who was flirting with who but it got me a warning so…
i010174.jpg

At my shop, we're supposed to meet all jumpseaters on the jet. If you're assigned a seat, I don't need to see you at all and generally appreciate the lack of interruption.
this 1000%, you got a seat? Yeah I know I can see it on my sh*t.....if you say hi, thanks but not needed.

Sounds like a fair deal. I imagine lots of us walked away with much less of the book thrown at us, than could have been, on the roads as youngsters. I kinda hope that is a rite of passage that isn't gone today, at least for those who aren't stupid about it.
It was a fair deal. The car I was driving was not a fire breathing monster, but it handled pretty well and could slow down and get back up to speed without much drama. I think he gave me that ticket because after he took off after me and when he finally caught up to me he knew I was speeding but hadn't actually witnessed it. I never told him how fast I went, for all he knew I just drove very smartly around the corners and up the on ramp. He knew that I broke some laws but he couldn't prove it. I'm not a fan of patting myself on the back but I'm 100% sure my attitude, and the fact that I had all of the required documents (and they were all valid) helped. Like I said, that was my only speeding ticket, I've been driving for 35 years, only been caught once.

Back