Jumpseat Etiquette- What would you do?

Bananabusdx

I -in plane clothes, flying on my own airline with no bags- had to take the JS to get home. No biggie. An offline in uniform checked in at the last min, also no biggie. But, with at least twenty people still in line in the jet bridge (including me) she pushed her way down and to end of the bridge. She then proceeded to try to push her way in to the line in front of me to get on the plane. When I inquired as to what she was doing; she proceeds to scoff, roll her eyes mumbles something that sounded like "well I'm up front". She looked young so I try to give her the benefit of the doubt and I say she can wait a second. The whole situation was a little off putting. My question is, what would you say in this situation? I've never felt the need to rush on to the plane to get in to the JS - especially on an airline that isn't mine. Also the comment of 'well I'm up front'? Ma'am so am I... Coming up an old timer told me to wait for revenue pax to get on and keep your bags in the JB till after you check in and see where the crew would like them stored- especially on an airline that isn't your own. Thoughts?

Did you educate her once you got going, since you were sitting right next to each other ?

If I’m being honest, I’d:

1699372118689.jpeg

Not my fight…

There was an airline that required Capts signature and then you had to bring the slip back to the gate agent for them to list you. I had gate agents toss me the form and not offer any help with getting down to the cockpit. Years ago and a regional if I remember right. If it was something like that I could see her impatience. Otherwise, perhaps she just doesn't understand how things work.

I wouldn't give it a second thought unless it was going to cause you to get bumped because he jumped her spot.

"Oh, cool. Me too! I'm Bananabusdx with $airline. How's it going?"

Literally a billion airlines out there with their own foibles about jumpseaters. Go down with preboards to check in! Go down at the end! Go down before group P to get space for your bag! Leave your bag in the jet bridge! Green/orange/brown tag your bag!

Maybe jumpseater was an FFDO. Maybe, as @Toobdrvr says, she was in omg am I gonna make it mode.

Just do your thing and let people do theirs.

On the Airbus, If I know I have jumpseaters or the agent informs me of that, I specifically tell the agent to have them board last. I don't need to "shoot the bull" with you in my way for 20 min and nothing is really gained by boarding first. Your bags will fit up here and the briefing will not take long. .. How I would handle this lady would be dependent on how much I had to eat that day,

There’s not enough room in my cockpit to change my mind, so, yea, coming down last is fine with me. We ain’t leaving without you.

Only solution is you begin living your life in uniform, 24/7. It's what I do now. Moms at the kid's schools are super impressed when they hear that I am not a riverboat tour guide, but rather an airline pilot that flies super close to the sun

Ok so let me see if I got the story straight.

You in line to check in for a jumpseat on your own metal.

Her on offline pilot skipping the line to checkin for *check arithmetic* an offline jumpseat.

What do you say? Nothing to the other pilot. To the gate agent “hi, I’m here to check in for the jump. Can I head on down?”

Not to hijack the thread, but another question regarding JS etiquette..

After years in the 91/91k/134.5/135 world I've been commuting to the airlines for a little over a year now. 95% of the time in uniform, on an RJ, and end up getting a seat in the back. I usually ask the gate agent (once they give me a seat) if I can go down with pre-boards to check in with the crew and always get told "yeah no problem." So I'll go down with the pre-boards just so I can pop in the cockpit and introduce myself/let them know I made it on with a seat in the back. On the RJs there's not a ton of room in the galley and I hate when I have a big line of people behind me and I end up holding up the line while I'm sticking my head in the cockpit doing the whole song and dance. AITA for going down early with the pre-boards so I don't hold up the main boarding line?

Regarding this situation, assuming I already had a seat (in the back or JS) I probably wouldn't have been bothered to say anything.. That said, when I've had to rush to catch a commute and they're already boarding I just stand in line with everyone else. Nothing I can do at that point once there's already a line in the jetbridge. I figure I'm either going to inconvenience others by pushing past everyone to get down to the bottom, or I'm going to inconvenience people in line behind me when I have to hold up the line for a minute to check in with the crew. So I just wait my turn in line.

She was stupid and wrong.
I've known a LOT of people who are, albeit in different circumstances. Guessing I was myself, too, a couple of times o'er the decades. Used to bother me some and I'd carry it forward too long but found as time passed that it just wasn't worth it. Let it go🍸

Back