Oh Corpies LX

Dear Corpies, ;)

I know, I know, you're probably used to Podunk, USA airports where it's Class E at best and only if you're feeling frisky, might actually make a radio call announcing takeoff. Just lining up, powering up, and blasting off is a great Corpie perk.

But you see, this is Boston Logan airport. It is called a Class Bravo airport. Class B, as in Big Boys. All sorts of airliners come here everyday. We wait until we are cleared for takeoff by the tower before blasting off.

So there's really no excuse for this...

JBU206-Jump-Seat-Video-Still-1024x574.jpg

Corpies, GET OFF MY LAWN

Client wants to go to Boston? Nope. NOPE. Take them to BED Hanscom and limo them over.

Oh, and once you're at BED, please remove your gust lock before starting your engines.

hjN.gif

Lastly, Hop-a-Jet is the most Corpie name ever.

I mean, you don't see any 121 airlines called 737s 'R Us.

And this is also pretty Corpiesh...

The 63-year-old captain and 23-year-old co-pilot; and, A man who answered the phone at Hop-A-Jet headquarters said the company had no comment about the incident or the report. When asked if the captain and co-pilot were still flying for the company, he said he could not provide that information and hung up.

Dear Corpies, ;)

I know, I know, you're probably used to Podunk, USA airports where it's Class E at best and only if you're feeling frisky, might actually make a radio call announcing takeoff. Just lining up, powering up, and blasting off is a great Corpie perk.

But you see, this is Boston Logan airport. It is called a Class Bravo airport. Class B, as in Big Boys. All sorts of airliners come here everyday. We wait until we are cleared for takeoff by the tower before blasting off.

Corpies, GET OFF MY LAWN

Client wants to go to Boston? Nope. NOPE. Take them to BED Hanscom and limo them over.

Oh, and once you're at BED, please remove your gust lock before starting your engines.

hjN.gif

The 63-year-old captain and 23-year-old co-pilot; and, A man who answered the phone at Hop-A-Jet headquarters said the company had no comment about the incident or the report. When asked if the captain and co-pilot were still flying for the company, he said he could not provide that information and hung up.
Bigot much?

Dear Corpies, ;)

Corpies, GET OFF MY LAWN

hjN.gif

Yeah, a lot of fly-by-night 135 are pretty, er, 'tarded. But your generalizations are WAY too generalized. Blaming ALL those failures on a group is about as valid as somebody calling me bigoted and racist for calling idiots "'tards".

Companies, and pilots, are NOT all the same just because they happen to be regulated under Part 135. Hell, they're not all the same under Part 121.

No generalization is worth a damn! Including this one.

Dear Corpies, ;)

Corpies, GET OFF MY LAWN

hjN.gif

For a guy with very little life experience you sure have a lot of opinions

I mean, at some point, you just gotta get the show on the road. Can't sit at the hold short forever, that's gas man! How long does it really take for a corporate jet at takeoff power to cross a runway intersection? I dunno, but it's a lot quicker than my 4 year old could

Thank you. Doesn’t seem like some people got it. I even partially nerded out. Eg, Lear 60 so it was Oh Corpie XL.
It's not satire if it is just about entirely in line with your very vocal real opinions lol.

The incident itself is bonkers. I don't know how any crew can get so complacent at a busy class B as to takeoff without being 100% sure they had clearance...and I guess not look down the 04R final either while they're at it. Pretty damned scary. It reminds me of the report of the Continental DC-9 at DEN Stapleton that skipped de-ice and crashed on takeoff. The report revealed that not only did they not taxi to the de-ice pad, but they pushed back with ramp control and then just rolled right past it all the way to the line of departures for their planned runway, without ever calling ground or getting any instructions as they took a maze of taxiways lol. At one of the busiest airports in the country during a winter storm. A 121 legacy airline crew did that. It is really scary what human beings can do (don't tell Todd).

As for the article:

The 63-year-old charter pilot told the NTSB in an email that he had gotten instructions to wait but "but on my mind I was clear for takeoff."

The pilot added, "I can not understand what happened to me during the clearance, the only thing that comes to my mind is that the cold temperature in Boston affected me, I was not feeling completely well and had a stuffed nose."

LMFAO that is what he told the NTSB in an e-mail? "Well it was cold outside and I had a stuffy nose so I felt groggy. You're not you when you're hungry".

Last edited:
I worked for a large corporate flight department and the overwhelming majority of the airports we visited were the primary airports in class B airspace. There were a handful of small airports, especially in places where we had distribution centers or if we were visiting rural suppliers, but businesspeople want to go where business is conducted. And that's in the cities.

Only airport I go to Part 121 that I never visited flying corporate is DCA and only because TSA made operating there onerous and intrusive.

I love Cherokee Cruiser but on this topic, he just doesn't know what he doesn't know.

I'm in and out of BOS (and EWR, JFK, LGA, IAD, PHL) single pilot in a Seneca a few times a week. The big airports aren't just for the big boys.

Besides, it's easy to be a hero when you have a crew, and a dispatch department and catering and flight attendants, and baggage handlers, etc.

______

That said, any 63 year old with a stuffy nose can make a mistake. WTF was his FO when he went to take off without a clearance?

Fix

I'll jump in to defend @Cherokee_Cruiser on this one. While I do not agree with how adamant he is that all 91/135 is dangerous (disclaimer: I'm the Training Captain for for a Fortune 150 and the Standards Captain on one of our types), he has never made a post on the subject this over the top. It didn't take too much reading to understand that he was poking fun at himself. It's his shtick. The same as hating on Delta.

Some of you need to take a moment for some self reflection about your biases and not just dump on a post because of the messenger.

It reminds me of the report of the Continental DC-9 at DEN Stapleton that skipped de-ice and crashed on takeoff. The report revealed that not only did they not taxi to the de-ice pad, but they pushed back with ramp control and then just rolled right past it all the way to the line of departures for their planned runway, without ever calling ground or getting any instructions as they took a maze of taxiways lol. At one of the busiest airports in the country during a winter storm. A 121 legacy airline crew did that.
They did deice. But sat in the wet snow for 30 min before take off

That said, any 63 year old with a stuffy nose can make a mistake. WTF was his FO when he went to take off without a clearance?
23 year old FO, probably as useful as nips on a bull

I cannot believe the jump seater not only snapped the picture, but also supplied that picture.
It was a screen grab from the video they took 😬

39ADC8B3-3AA4-458C-972C-E9C13503BE0C.jpeg

Back