Thoughts of a Ramp Agent

Victor Squawk

Is this the right board to talk about ramp agent work?

I've recently started working as a ramp agent and I like it. I don't know if it's the novelty or the dynamism but so far I am enjoying the challenge.

I like having a variety of things to practice that keep the operations running. Planes are bigger than I thought. Also the gate agents and flight crew are really nice to us.

The pilots are funny. For example, while we were training one pilot noticed that we were new so he came up to crack some jokes like "hey, this engine is no good. Can you throw on the spare one really quick?" Then he'd watch us fumble because no one told us that's in the job description.

Later on, while I was trying to show off my wing walking skills and trying to salute him, he pranked me with some fancy hand signs, none of which were a recognizable hand signal. It really threw me off for a bit, but we all laughed about it soon after.

A lot of people on the ramp and in the crew (and at the gate too) seem to be in a good mood all the time. Maybe it's the work satisfaction or just being around planes, doing something enjoyable.

I love the teamwork. Each person is competent and efficient, which helps me learn pretty quickly since I get to both watch and implement what I've learned for practice.

I like this job more than I thought I would. I'd like to be able to work here longer but I might not be able to stay, due to the scheduling demands and my own life situation. I don't know for sure. I hope it goes well for me.

Working in aviation is pretty cool overall! I'm very glad I am getting these experiences. It's been worth it already.

Funny you mentioned this, we were just having a conversation on the flight deck the other day about those folks doing this job that really seem to enjoy themselves, even in EWR.

I'm trying to put together a "rampers greatest hits" video of folks having fun on the ramp in a safe way.

A. Have seen several while waiting for a plane to get to the gate doing pull ups on the jet bridge structure..(forget where)
B. Apparently they are allowed to wear airpods etc., have seen several literally dancing while moving around the ramp or waiting for an aircraft (several stations)
C. After pushback, saw "tug and towbar" and started watching for the wave off when the that crew person starts almost doubling over with laughter. I look back at the tug and the driver has hit a sweet spot where he literally has the tug bouncing on its suspension like a low rider (not off the ground or anything...) EWR!

As long is it's all being done safely, why not enjoy your time at work a little !

That’s great! Im glad to hear your enjoying your time on the ramp.

My first job in aviation was working the ramp for a large FBO/Beechcraft dealer and it was a blast. So many good memories and lifelong friends from there.

Another morning on the ground. I like staying busy though the downtime is nice, in between waves of flights. I could get used to this tempo.

I also like working at the airport but the time costs, fuel and food costs, bill costs and expenses add up? Work is life, now. I didn't have time for much of anything except to sleep for the next day. We rest to work, or work to rest; I'm not sure which is better for me.

I like the job but I keep looking toward the future and it just isn't a place to stay. I understand why most seem to treat it as a waypoint onto something else, or try to progress into leadership positions asap.

One small problem for them, though, is tbat the company seems to hire management externally so some of the hard working internals, who have been training hard and working harder, have been hit with a reality check. I guess they wanted to rise from within, and it makes sense that someone who has the experience and knows what to do would make a good leader. But that's the ideal. In the real, the operational system remains a revolving door.

I think working here has changed my perspective so much it changed my life. I'm still struggling to balance my schedule, and I'm just getting started; but even if I have to take an alternate route in life, I'm going to see the world differently forever.

I feel relieved, to confess... I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just nice to see that there's more to learn and experience in life. It feels like hope! Or just a hint of optimism...

That's pretty fricken good, I guess. :]

What were you doing before you got this job?
The previous job I had was operating machines at an agricultural company specializing in rapid propagation. The work was much more slow paced since the time horizon operated on a month-to-year basis. Farmers would order a large amount of crops in advance, and that's what we worked.

A month-to-year basis?
Our tasks and goals were measured out according to the year and we had monthly targets of "stuff do due by a certain deadline". Apart from routine daily maintenance and operational tasks, we had a long-term perspective (and the same applied to the daily tasks, at times, when we had to make decisions about unexpected scenarios).

For example, i could work harder for a few days to create an easier week for myself (or even take time off, since work would be slower).

On the ramp, everything is in a minute-to-hour time horizon. We have targets and goals to complete within an hourly range, and we measure our tasks in minutes. Working harder one day doesn't make another day any easier, and a slow day is only slower in hourly terms, not in terms of days or weeks.

So there's no way to apply myself to be more efficient (which I do regardless) to earn more flexibility with my time for living life. It's just a different pace of work.

That's really cool - I'm glad you like the ramp gig. As a pilot, it's a pleasure to work with ramp crews who enjoy it.

Where are you based?

That's really cool - I'm glad you like the ramp gig. As a pilot, it's a pleasure to work with ramp crews who enjoy it.

Where are you based?
I work in SMF, which I like quite a bit. I don't live that far from it and it's near my hometown. Some have said other airports such SFO have more opportunities or Oakland (I don't know the code for that one yet) is a bit easier since the baggage load tends to be more modest. But I like SMF.

I work in SMF, which I like quite a bit. I don't live that far from it and it's near my hometown. Some have said other airports such SFO have more opportunities or Oakland (I don't know the code for that one yet) is a bit easier since the baggage load tends to be more modest. But I like SMF.
Nice. Oakland is OAK, by the way.

Very glad you like the job - as I said, it’s great working with a positive ramp crew.

And then there’s IAD….

I always try and say hello to the rampers and show some respect when I’m at work as a pilot. I would consider it a tough job, being outside and also being quite physical. Happy to hear pilots have been good to you so far. I used to pump gas and I feel it gave me a little more empathy for my fellow humans working on the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always try and say hello to the rampers and show some respect when I’m at work as a pilot. I would consider it a tough job, being outside and also being quite physical. Happy to hear pilots have been good to you so far. I used to pump gas and I feel it gave me a little more empathy for my fellow humans working on the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah everyone is pretty kind and respectful overall. I think as time goes on it starts to become obvious (as it is becoming obvious to me) that we are all rooting for the same result- a safe, efficient arrival and departure.

Today, for example, one flight had a maintenance delay and was grounded for too long so we had to unload a ton of bags we already loaded. It tripled our work and also kept a gate tied up for a while. We were frustrated but as we talked about it, we figured that the pilots, the crew, ops, the passengers and everyone altogether was pretty unhappy about it, so its not like someone was a culprit. It was important to be safe and it's better that we took the precautions. Then of course, at the end of the day, the work is done and we go home; and it's over. We hope the passengers aren't too disrupted from their plans, but that's it. So I think people who work in aviation for a while start to see things that way. All of it is teamwork.

As a side note, one of my favorite beats on the jobs is wingwalking the plane out, and especially on the captains side because I just enjoy giving the salute. Everyone is off to a new adventure (in my mind) or just going home, or maybe on business. It's exciting. Most of the pilots usually give a final wave after the salute (and it might be the same pilots, I'm not sure) and I like that. I usually walk away feeling great (plus the work is done, productivity is good, the day is in progress).

Yeah anyway its a cool experience. I was stacking bags all day today and during a short break I was leaning back and staring at the cargo ceiling and just thought to myself - "did I ever predict I'd be resting in the cargo bin of an airplane? No chance". I'd like to enjoy myself at this job for awhile more. It's better than some other jobs I've worked (no offense to those industries)

:]

That’s great! Im glad to hear your enjoying your time on the ramp.

My first job in aviation was working the ramp for a large FBO/Beechcraft dealer and it was a blast. So many good memories and lifelong friends from there.
What is an FBO/Beechcraft dealer? Sorry, I'm pretty new to the whole aviation thing. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the trash bins on an A319/320 and E175 (and B737-900, B737-800?) There's so much stuff.

I just know that the 737 ones are the much bigger ones, the 319 and 320 are sorta medium sized and the 175 is a regional sized one and I like stacking bags in the bin because I am very picky with how I stack them.

Funny you mentioned this, we were just having a conversation on the flight deck the other day about those folks doing this job that really seem to enjoy themselves, even in EWR.

I'm trying to put together a "rampers greatest hits" video of folks having fun on the ramp in a safe way.

A. Have seen several while waiting for a plane to get to the gate doing pull ups on the jet bridge structure..(forget where)
B. Apparently they are allowed to wear airpods etc., have seen several literally dancing while moving around the ramp or waiting for an aircraft (several stations)
C. After pushback, saw "tug and towbar" and started watching for the wave off when the that crew person starts almost doubling over with laughter. I look back at the tug and the driver has hit a sweet spot where he literally has the tug bouncing on its suspension like a low rider (not off the ground or anything...) EWR!

As long is it's all being done safely, why not enjoy your time at work a little !
That would be a really cool video to watch. I think i'd show it to the team; they'd enjoy it.

I've seen the dancers, we have some of those and the guys who take the "industrial athletes" title literally :D

The general amiability is something I have only seen at this job (compared to a bunch of other one's I'd done) so the aviation industry seems pretty special that way.

What is an FBO/Beechcraft dealer?
Fixed base operator or FBO handles general aviation traffic at an airport. The one I worked for was at one time a Beechcraft dealer which meant it had a flight school, charter department, aircraft sales, and maintenance.

Fixed base operator or FBO handles general aviation traffic at an airport. The one I worked for was at one time a Beechcraft dealer which meant it had a flight school, charter department, aircraft sales, and maintenance.
Well, here's to my good times on the ramp! Hopefully I'll learn as much as I can and make some friends along the way too.

Back