Is the jumpseat truly yours as a (regional) captain?

wayway8

I've run into this situation twice now. My fiancee takes the redeye to meet me in LAX to follow me on an overnight. The gate agent says the plane is full and my pilot fiancee is second in line behind someone else.

First time, it was an off-line jumpseater. She had to run to another carrier and ended up in that jumpseat all the way to YVR. I felt horrible asking her to do that. While we were waiting to find out if she would make the flight a United FO said to me, its your jumpseat and you can have whoever you want in it.

Second time, an AA jumpseater was listed ahead for an American Eagle flight I was working. He obviously had priority based on the FOM. I waited at the gate and was going to explain the situation and ask/tell him I wanted my fiancé in the jumpseat instead of him. Turns out there were seats and it wasn't a problem.

I work for Compass and as such the planes aren't ours. So I don't feel like the jumpseat is our either. I feel like we are a temp agency for DL and AA. We are there just to fill the seats as hired labor.

Anybody have an opinion to share about this situation?

a United FO said to me, its your jumpseat and you can have whoever you want in it.

Second time, an AA jumpseater was listed ahead for an American Eagle flight I was working. He obviously had priority based on the FOM. I waited at the gate and was going to explain the situation and ask/tell him I wanted my fiancé in the jumpseat instead of him. Turns out there were seats and it wasn't a problem.

?
I'm a little confused. But if someone has priority for the jumpseat that should trump anything else. If I'm going to home/work.... Sorry not sorry.

Same with the first situation. The priority is there for a reason.

I've run into this situation twice now. My fiancee takes the redeye to meet me in LAX to follow me on an overnight. The gate agent says the plane is full and my pilot fiancee is second in line behind someone else.

First time, it was an off-line jumpseater. She had to run to another carrier and ended up in that jumpseat all the way to YVR. I felt horrible asking her to do that. While we were waiting to find out if she would make the flight a United FO said to me, its your jumpseat and you can have whoever you want in it.

I work for Compass and as such the planes aren't ours. So I don't feel like the jumpseat is our either. I feel like we are a temp agency for DL and AA. We are there just to fill the seats as hired labor.

Your jumpseat, in accordance with company policies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your Jumpseat! There are FAR's that explain this.

Does the FOM not clearly identify who has what priority for the jumpseat on the company's jet?

I'm not sure where "because she's my fiancee and I want her on my J/S" falls in that priority list.
Yeah... if you're a commuter, commuting on your own metal with, say, Delta paint on the side, that attitude is probably going to miss you quite a few commutes.

In gonna go against the grain and say

"You're not wrong, you're just an *i don't have the education to emote without swearing*"

Technically you're right, but it's a dick move. I know when I commuted I made plans based upon planes I had priority on. If I missed my commute so the CA could have a conjugal visit I'd be more than a little pissed off.

Why have a priority list in the first place? Why not have the CA just go up to the gate and pick his favorite?

The idea that anything on an airplane owned, maintained, scheduled, fueled, etc, by a company truly "belongs" to the Captain is, well, ignorant.

A Captain is being allowed to operate it by virtue of the release. The release doesn't make the airplane the property of the Captain; s/he still is doing the bidding of the Company and is still legally compelled to follow what the company wants them to do with their airplane.

"Captain's authority" is a real thing, it just has finite limits that it is best the Captain knows, understands, and abides by.

What I was getting from the "the planes aren't ours, I don't think the jumpseat is either" post was that he feels like a Compass pilot shouldn't have jumpseat priority on his own metal over a say a Delta mainline guy. Unless I'm totally misinterpreting it.

What I was getting from the "the planes aren't ours, I don't think the jumpseat is either" post was that he feels like a Compass pilot shouldn't have jumpseat priority on his own metal over a say a Delta mainline guy. Unless I'm totally misinterpreting it.

Ah. I thought you were disagreeing with hacker. I agree with you and hacker, and so does the FOM.

Ah. I thought you were disagreeing with hacker. I agree with you and hacker, and so does the FOM.
Came here to say the same thing.

Sure the planes say American Eagle on then, have NN tail numbers and are owned by AAG. None of that changes the fact that the are "our" planes aircraft when it comes to jumpseat priority. Including priority over AA.

Now with that said, and as was mentioned above, keep it private. If someone bumps me because they have priority, that's fine, I'll be on my way. now if someone bumps me who has priority AND points out that I am being bumped so their girlfriend can spend the night with them on an overnight? Remember...commuters remember faces and we remember names.

Just to be clear, I didn't prevent anyone from occupying the jumpseat. I was just asking a hypothetical. I appreciate everyone's insight. It appears we are all in agreement. When the United guy made his comment, it didn't sound right to me.

Just to be clear, I didn't prevent anyone from occupying the jumpseat. I was just asking a hypothetical. I appreciate everyone's insight. It appears we are all in agreement. When the United guy made his comment, it didn't sound right to me.

Yeah, my bad. I hadn't had coffee before I read your post. The sentiment of my post stills stands, just without all the harsh judginess. :p

Better question, how would she ride in the jumpseat to YVR as an offline jumpseater?

Better question, how would she ride in the jumpseat to YVR as an offline jumpseater?

I misremembered, it was actually PDX. I remember cause they Atlas guy that jumpsat with us was going to pick up an airplane he bought.

Remember, the FOM is an FAA approved document. If it references jumpseat priority that is what you follow. Your fiancée should understand this and expect to be bumped if someone with a higher priority shows up. That's life.
The jumpseat is a privelage, not a right. Don't mess with it. I've been without it- when I first got hired my airline did not permit off line jumpseaters; also post 9/11 for a while.

Remember, the FOM is an FAA approved document. If it references jumpseat priority that is what you follow. Your fiancée should understand this and expect to be bumped if someone with a higher priority shows up. That's life.
The jumpseat is a privelage, not a right. Don't mess with it. I've been without it- when I first got hired my airline did not permit off line jumpseaters; also post 9/11 for a while.
So much truth. So I had a jumpseat and at the last minute someone who had priority came up and bumped me. He seemed really upset about it and kept apologizing. lol, why, bro? If it's your jumpseat, it's your jumpseat. He bumped me off of his jumpseat and I would bump him off of mine. That's life...and that's how the game is played. There shouldn't be any hard feelings when you lose the jumpseat, and if there is, then you want it too bad.

Back