Oh Corpies LX

I've been up into the high '40s a few times doing "confirmation" flights with customers after engine changes. I was always aware of how these flights could turn tragic literally in a matter of seconds, but I trusted the crew, the airplane and my work. There was one G-III that "per their ops spec" wanted to shut down an engine at 49K and restart it after an engine change. We didn't do that, we brought the engine back to idle and then rolled it back up and flew back home. The sky is a different shade of blue up there.

I've been up into the high '40s a few times doing "confirmation" flights with customers after engine changes. I was always aware of how these flights could turn tragic literally in a matter of seconds, but I trusted the crew, the airplane and my work. There was one G-III that "per their ops spec" wanted to shut down an engine at 49K and restart it after an engine change. We didn't do that, we brought the engine back to idle and then rolled it back up and flew back home. The sky is a different shade of blue up there.

Kind of reminds me of how much we asked of our F-22's, who routinely live up in that Narnia (formerly called Eagle Mountain), without pressure suits......and then they started having "OBOGS" problems. Yeah, when you have an automatic bleed shutoff at 51k feet and have no suit, you don't have long to live. Tragic in several instances, but true. I've had cabin pressure dump from 10ish-k to 37,000 feet in a couple seconds before, but fortunately I had been pre-breathing 100% O2 for a good half hour prior/since I had taken the runway (pre-OBOGS plane, just LOX). Told my wife that night that if I started being crazy or beating her, to take me to the pressure chamber at the hospital in Reno. Instead I just fell asleep on the couch like normal, probably while on JC.

Back