Derg tells Cherokee to put his money where his pilot selection grievances are

We’ve already discussed what needs to be happen after her period of unemployment.

Give me a name.

I did, Shark. She was trying even before leaving for Roller Derby. Why do you only bring up her post-return job prospects? Point remains she had done this job for quite some time and couldn’t catch a lucky break. Felt burned out, took a departure to roller derby, and now back but same thing.

OH man, that really doesn’t go away.

I still wake up in the morning, turn the news on, don’t see any smoking holes in a field or in the side of a building then turn it off.

I haven’t been able to shake the “black swan event overnight” since 9/11. We’re ALL just one bad management decision or someone playing grab-ass on camera and wrecking a plane for likes, shares and subscribes away from potentially being on the street.

This too. Which is why I keep my logbook updated. You never know what’s gonna happen.

I agree. In my case it will be pretty awful. It will likely mean another 5+ years of FO.

With a merger it could be worse since I won't be a captain during the snapshot for SLI. Also, now that the 800+ FOs who are senior to me know how difficult it is to upgrade at Le Eskimo Airways with zero growth it will be a long time before I get a chance to upgrade again.

Really do wish UA had called during 2019.

I would imagine the snapshot date is already set. Wasn’t VX snapshot on April 4, 2016? The merger announcement date (MAD).

I kinda get it though. Every 3-4 months we get the next once in a career bad news email from management. It's getting pretty demoralizing. Personally, comparing careers isn't for me but it can be unbelievably frustrating working at CC place of employment at times.

My feelings on the future at his place of employment are "don't get your hopes up." I just hope whatever bad news comes next is funny and no one gets hurt in the next MAX debacle.

Ironically Fox is probably better off not getting hired here. If she motivates, hits it out of the park and winds up at your place of employment she will have a much better career trajectory. Had she gotten hired here in the last year she'd have the same salary and QOL at SkyWest as a captain. A little more retirement contribution, worse reserve in my experience and no movement or improvements for the next 5 years.

The question is, where do you want to be at the next downturn? SKY or AS (or another legacy). Frankly, I’d rather have a legacy job to go back to.

"Outta my seat, buddy! I'm in my last three years and I want to do some Island flying with y'all!"

Someone is gonna give up an A350/B787 in their last 3 yrs to fly a an ATR from FLL to FPO? I’ll believe that when my forbidden meat starts flying. :)

I would imagine the snapshot date is already set. Wasn’t VX snapshot on April 4, 2016? The merger announcement date (MAD).

The question is, where do you want to be at the next downturn? SKY or AS (or another legacy). Frankly, I’d rather have a legacy job to go back to.

It depends on how arbitration goes. I’ve spoken with quite a few people at my Union and they all have different answers. Basically, “it depends”

Good news is that I have a solid plan for downgrade:

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8QHPAWMpXJ/?igsh=aWF2b2U4dzM4ZXc4

I did, Shark. She was trying even before leaving for Roller Derby. Why do you only bring up her post-return job prospects? Point remains she had done this job for quite some time and couldn’t catch a lucky break. Felt burned out, took a departure to roller derby, and now back but same thing.
Your only example is a member of this forum you’ve never met that has stated multiple times they refuse to check a box on the application that is a binary in/out factor? Your own listed hiring criteria wouldn’t get her application through the system. You’ve gotta be the densest, most unselfconscious person on this board since mavmb was deep sixed.

Thank you for sharing yet another "CC Grievance". I'm not going to dance around the elephant in the room with this but you, as a person who has literally purchased every aviation job he's had, unsurprisingly, finds actual interview process… distasteful. I'm not shocked.

In the real world, there's a certain level of auditioning to go through. My company needs north of 1200 pilots this year. There are many multiples of people that exceed competitive minimums for those 1200 spots and you want to find the best candidates and I'm sorry, you're just not going to write a check to get the job here.

"The Process" is 1000x easier than it was in the 1990's. Company-sponsored social media outreach where you can ask direct questions to pilot selection, risk-free. Free job fairs where the company will pick you up at the airport, feed you, talk to you about your qualifications, shake hands with the CEO and drive you BACK to the airport, free of charge and requiring no hotel, the company medical is gone, it's a one day process where you know you'll have a CJO that day instead of waiting a week, paid uniforms and paid hotel accommodations.

That's too onerous for you, Cherokee? Go sit in the corner and think about how silly you sound.

(good grief, it's like there's some weird sexual perversion when you beg for public beat-downs, but we don't kink-shame here)
Look, I don't mean to be the ass you already assume me to be. I agree with your overall topic analysis. Still, per your own argument, what the heck does "dining on some Panang Duck and Mango and Sticky Rice" have to do with the "topic" other than to invidiously distinguish yourself as someone who's "made it"? BTW, I'm glad you have “made it”; You strike me a as good and decent and caring person. I'm glad and grateful for all you have done.

But you being you -and all the good you’ve done- doesn’t grossly or structurally change the insanity of pilot hiring. Or the insanity of modern, Western, Neo-post-Keynesian consumer economics.

Our current economic model does NOT particularly care about competence or experience... or righting ancient wrongs in any domain, not just aviation. Companies give lip service and basic compliance to legally-mandated requirements. Sometimes, they even give lip service to those mandated requirements for what they perceive to be marketing advantages. The real -fundamental- problem is that in the absence of either that legal requirement or marketing benefit… they would -based simply on moral and philosophical principles give ZERO attention to those issues. “Workers” (aka, “employees”, “associates”, “blessed fellow travelers”, “Neo-feudal-vassals”) are a dime a dozen. And companies -stupidly, but really- typically don’t give a rat’s ass about anything other than filling the empty position. In the airline industry, we call that a seat.

In our economic model -even in our current demographics- owners realize that there are far more folks that want jobs than them what want ‘em. Therefore, apparently… no one really gives a rat’s ass about hiring good or competent practitioners. Sure, sure, the HR departments (Ugh!) hire lots of early-20-somethings to do initial “interviews”. Those “interviews” are comprised mostly of the HR “employee” orally reading a list of questions that were already answered -usually in duplicate- by the applicant on the written application that allowed the applicant to “advance” to the interview stage.

Hiring has devolved to a state in which liability avoidance is the number one priority. The second priority may actually be competence at the job for which one is applying. Still, if a highly skilled applicant has ever -on the record- demonstrated the temerity to tell a boss that an operation is illegal per the operation’s (the boss’s) OpSpecs, that applicant -per PRD- instantly becomes anathema to the entire industry, regardless of the incompetence or corruption of that applicant’s former boss and the righteous, protective nature of the applicant.

Additionally, what the hell are we (not just airlines, but commerce writ large) doing here? What are we actually testing for with all these jumping hoops and chutes and ladders demanding our applicants to slide and climb through?

What’s with all the artificially created barriers to entry??

I mean, how many 20-year-practicing doctors could - next Wednesday- score a good enough MCAT score to even get admitted to Med School today? How many 20-year, 9000-hour captains could -on the spot- pass an ATP written exam today?

My point is, if highly functioning practitioners can no longer pass the test that allowed them entry into the system that now allows them to make big bucks doing their jobs, what relevance do those tests have to doing those jobs?

Learning is different than cramming for a test. Knowledge is information and wisdom one carries around in one’s noggin. If information and wisdom are not internalized and available for recall, those “possessions” were never actually learned (and "learned" is ella-close to "earned"). If not learned and not readily available for practical application to a job, on that job, then -by practical definition- they are NOT required to accomplish that job. If a successful practitioner no longer has mental access to originally-required knowledge in his noggin -at his beck and call- and yet is still capable of doing his job, then why did he have to cram all that superfluity in the first place? Obviously, that “knowledge” is NOT knowledge. Why? Because it’s no longer known. It is demonstrably not required to actually practice whatever the practice is.

So all that “learning” was just a cram session- a Kabuki dance. It was just a hoop one was required to leap through for no particular reason. If a successful practitioner does NOT need real time access to certain information and knowledge -at his beck and call- to successfully complete his job… then that knowledge is obviously irrelevant to the actual practice of his job as he is being rewarded for practicing it.

Cherokee can be even worse than am I at times. Yet, he does occasionally make good points. Disregarding the "thread shift" event (I started on this thread and have no awareness of the originating thread), he does -with some winnowing- seem to be making a cogent point here.

Yes, you are correct that "The Process" is 1000x easier than it was in the 1990's". That is almost (but not quite) entirely a function of supply and demand. Back in the 90s, there were far more really qualified pilots than there are now.

Now? The airlines have a problem. That problem is largely of their own making. Therefore, now, they are reacting. Reacting by giving away free rides and espresso and bloated pay rates to try to make up for their own failures. And, yeah, that’s at least partly because now we face one of the most overstuffed, molly-coddled and entitled new-hire generations the world has ever experienced. It’s also partly due to economic changes. It's also partly due to an industry whose basic pilot development structure remains pretty securely bass-akwards. But it’s mostly because overstuffed, over-paid, self-satisfied executives fell asleep at their helms.

It’s a shame that Airlines did such a terrible job of making their beds; such a terrible job of forecasting what was an easily recognizable problem. One well known Major circa 2013 had -in it’s entire pilot cohort- only about 15 pilots under the age of 40. A few years later, they were decrying the horror of “the pilot shortage” and scrambling to fill seats.

That “horror” was almost entirely of that airline’s own mismanagement. It had very little to do with demographics. It had to do with a company whose management ignored reality and failed to plan ahead. It was current-profit fixation-based total loss of situational awareness to a situation that should have been obvious and easily avoided.

Last edited:
Your only example is a member of this forum you’ve never met that has stated multiple times they refuse to check a box on the application that is a binary in/out factor? Your own listed hiring criteria wouldn’t get her application through the system. You’ve gotta be the densest, most unselfconscious person on this board since mavmb was deep sixed.

Plain English please. What box was not checked?

You really shouldn’t use as your only example a person you know this little about. She’s stated it multiple times in multiple threads. You’re really this dense?
What was the original thread? Link? Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Eek. Not sure I had that in my list of things.

Ideally, a candidate should have one. If it’s a list of 5000 applicants, then yes it is one factor you can use to narrow it down.

I cut a lot out of your post since I’m on a mobile device. I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors since I’m typing on an iPhone.

My point is, if highly functioning practitioners can no longer pass the test that allowed them entry into the system that now allows them to make big bucks doing their jobs, what relevance do those tests have to doing those jobs?

I am going to equate your example to my experience in law enforcement. I feel this example is relatable to my experiences as a captain many years ago.

Companies (or departments) hire individuals with a certain set of basic qualifications and knowledge that they have determined will get you through a training program. In that training program you learn just enough to not get yourself killed. That is true in law enforcement just as much as it is true in the airlines. Someone with 20 years of experience in either has long forgot the “basics” because they’ve moved on to “level expert.” The basics have become obsolete, but they remain as a foundation that you cannot see.

Consider this: My daughters are in hockey, still learning how to play the game. They’re learning how to pass to teammates, stay onsides, not ice the puck. A NHL or PWHL player is working on offensive and defensive schemes with teammates to compete against similar skill players. They’re operating at a much higher level. Should my daughters be expected to walk into summer hockey camp knowing how to run a 5 on 3 power play?

If you were to walk into an interview and be expected to answer questions like a 20-year captain, you’d get crushed. It would be like walking into an interview and being asked to explain the forecheck scheme used by the Florida Panthers. You’d have no idea. A potential employer wants to see you have a solid foundation to build on.

How can you explain how to fly a traffic pattern if you can’t explain rectangular course? Building blocks.

Hiring processes EVERYWHERE are imperfect. EVERYWHERE. YOU know you are a good candidate. Your friends know you are a good candidate. Seven people reviewing 12,325 applications for 75 positions can’t go hang out for a day and drink a few beers with every one of those people. So there is no way they’ll ever know how outstanding you are unless you do something to highlight that. Unfortunately that sometimes means doing some things that you might believe are “beneath you.” Then again, if you believe these things are beneath you, maybe that’s why the phone isn’t ringing…

I cut a lot out of your post since I’m on a mobile device. I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors since I’m typing on an iPhone.

I am going to equate your example to my experience in law enforcement. I feel this example is relatable to my experiences as a captain many years ago.

Companies (or departments) hire individuals with a certain set of basic qualifications and knowledge that they have determined will get you through a training program. In that training program you learn just enough to not get yourself killed. That is true in law enforcement just as much as it is true in the airlines. Someone with 20 years of experience in either has long forgot the “basics” because they’ve moved on to “level expert.” The basics have become obsolete, but they remain as a foundation that you cannot see.

Consider this: My daughters are in hockey, still learning how to play the game. They’re learning how to pass to teammates, stay onsides, not ice the puck. A NHL or PWHL player is working on offensive and defensive schemes with teammates to compete against similar skill players. They’re operating at a much higher level. Should my daughters be expected to walk into summer hockey camp knowing how to run a 5 on 3 power play?

If you were to walk into an interview and be expected to answer questions like a 20-year captain, you’d get crushed. It would be like walking into an interview and being asked to explain the forecheck scheme used by the Florida Panthers. You’d have no idea. A potential employer wants to see you have a solid foundation to build on.

How can you explain how to fly a traffic pattern if you can’t explain rectangular course? Building blocks.

Hiring processes EVERYWHERE are imperfect. EVERYWHERE. YOU know you are a good candidate. Your friends know you are a good candidate. Seven people reviewing 12,325 applications for 75 positions can’t go hang out for a day and drink a few beers with every one of those people. So there is no way they’ll ever know how outstanding you are unless you do something to highlight that. Unfortunately that sometimes means doing some things that you might believe are “beneath you.” Then again, if you believe these things are beneath you, maybe that’s why the phone isn’t ringing…
You are absolutely correct in a great deal of what you said. (My mind froze with Canada, eh? :) ) And, like I said in my post, I did not mean to constrain my comments simply to the aviation industry. I was speaking more broadly.

And...

You totally missed my point.

This is NOT about ME. I'm NOT looking for a job. I have had a very good job for quite some time now.

My statements regarded primarily the state of the aviation industry writ large in terms of why it does such a colossally bad job at planning, pilot-development, hiring, and staffing. Again, many of those points apply much more broadly across many industries. Some of that has to do with human motivation. Some of that has to do with corporate motivations. Much of both of those things has to do with the structure of our particular economic system. Some of that has to do with the assumptions we make based on the stories we been told and the stories we have NOT been told. There ARE many other ways to structure a strong and robust economy that differ from the way we have structured ours. One of those alternative structures would be simply to conduct our current economic model under strict adherence (and enforcement of) our current rules of law and regulations with no truck given to rich special interests or any other kind of corruption. (As a LEO, I'm certain you can relate. Especially because, as everyone knows (or assumes anyway), ALL LEOs (and Military personnel, for that matter) are pure as the driven snow and they ALL work within completely transparent and law-respecting agencies draped in the stars and stripes, and there is no corruption to see here, so we should all just "move along now".)

I appreciate your response. Truly. I just don't think you understood what I was really getting at.

I understand that at the "pro" level one doesn't think much about the basics, precisely because, as you said, we tend to leave conscious attentiveness to the basics behind, and work at a higher level. That's correct. And that's all well and good.

But that was NOT was I was getting at. What I was getting at is that many (not all) current "higher level" practitioners -if pushed to prove- would NOT currently be able to demonstrate knowledge (even through just recall-level testing) of even JUST the basics. Yet, they are currently getting paid to be "experienced" "experts".

I'm just proposing that any current "expert" level practitioner -in ANY domain- should be able, on any given day, just to pass the entrance exam that initially allowed s/him into shiz occupation.

Last edited:
I'm just proposing that any current "expert" level practitioner -in ANY domain- should be able, on any given day, just to pass the entrance exam that initially allowed s/him into shiz occupation.

While I don't disagree, this sentiment might be more telling about the exam itself, than it is about the practitioner.

While I don't disagree, this sentiment might be more telling about the exam itself, than it is about the practitioner.
Yeah, that's a wise observation, and that might be true to some extent. But that was part of my point. The test obviously does NOT measure what it takes to be a paid pilot today. The test may actually measure some of the elements that comprise what it takes to be a fully informed and good pilot. Either way, the test is off the mark. So, instead of dummmmmming down the pilot cohort, I think we should just be honest and make the test more like trying to get a cup of coffee out of a "modern" FBO coffee machine. I think the test should have lots and lots of buttons -nested in cascading menu levels - all of which must be pushed in the right order. Otherwise, you can't even get chemically stimulated to wake the hell up.

I met a lot of cool captains that were extremely qualified to move on to the majors when I was at SkyWest. In 2017 one of them had 14 years of 121 and was a line check airman and wasn't able to get hired at a major. He had gotten a TBNT from SWA. Later he was hired at Delta. Most of the pilots wanted to go to United since I was SFO based. I heard rumors that there was one hiring manager who was holding up the process for the flood gates at UA to open. It was just hearsay but it sounded legit.

I also recall the one psychiatrist at Delta who torpedoed a lot of good peoples chances of getting hired. Then the psychiatrist committed suicide. Again, hearsay but I think that one was pretty legit.

Anyway, pimpin ain't easy.

Well, isn't that why we have flight reviews, IPC's, etc, etc?

I kinda get it though. Every 3-4 months we get the next once in a career bad news email from management. It's getting pretty demoralizing. Personally, comparing careers isn't for me but it can be unbelievably frustrating working at CC place of employment at times.

My feelings on the future at his place of employment are "don't get your hopes up." I just hope whatever bad news comes next is funny and no one gets hurt in the next MAX debacle.

Ironically Fox is probably better off not getting hired here. If she motivates, hits it out of the park and winds up at your place of employment she will have a much better career trajectory. Had she gotten hired here in the last year she'd have the same salary and QOL at SkyWest as a captain. A little more retirement contribution, worse reserve in my experience and no movement or improvements for the next 5 years.
You obviously didn’t spend any appreciable amount of time on reserve at OO. Your assessment of QOL is also highly ignorant. How long were you at SkyWest again?

Back