Captain Kila's State of the (Aviation) Union Address

Meh, heavy use of a nickname doesn't throw any major flags in my book however I agree with Mike, lead in with your given name.

But if your email address starts with or contains "Captain" or some variation thereof you probably shouldn't hold your breath for a callback from me. I'm immediately assuming there would be a lot of "well, at my last shop I/we ....." in my future and ain't nobody got time for that.

I'll call someone whatever it is they wish to be called. Whether a nickname or a callsign. Makes no difference to me and doesn't affect my life any. Someone wants to be called by a callsign, is no different than someone named Robert wanting to go by Bob. My only thing is, it would be nice to know your real name. So at least introduce yourself with your given name, and if you want to do a "but you can just call me nickname/callsign/whatever", that's cool.

Again, it makes no difference to my life.

True, but to those who haven't "been there, done that" it seems a little like this:

4453186.jpg

Meh, heavy use of a nickname doesn't throw any major flags in my book however I agree with Mike, lead in with your given name.

But if your email address starts with or contains "Captain" or some variation thereof you probably shouldn't hold your breath for a callback from me. I'm immediately assuming there would be a lot of "well, at my last shop I/we ....." in my future and ain't nobody got time for that.

True, but to those who haven't "been there, done that" it seems a little like this:

I'm referring to one-on-one contact and interaction, in terms of a collegue, etc. Time and place, if you will

Agree that callsigns, nicknames, etc; don't belong on resumes, applications, etc. They have nothing to do with the interview/hiring process, as you are applying for jobs and such based on who your given name is. Not nicknames of any type.

So in one-on-one contact....someone I work with, etc........whatever they want to be called, that's cool. Just as a social courtesy, intro with your real name, and then go with whatever you'd prefer to be called. Am happy to oblige.

There are all subtle signs that add up.

A guy who just wears long sleeves may raise an eyebrow and/or put people on guard.

But a guy who wears long sleeves, and insists on being called "Captain Ace", and who's first briefing consists of "I fly by the book, but I'm laid back".... well, ya, it might indicate a problem.

Richman

I'll call someone whatever it is they wish to be called. Whether a nickname or a callsign. Makes no difference to me and doesn't affect my life any. Someone wants to be called by a callsign, is no different than someone named Robert wanting to go by Bob. My only thing is, it would be nice to know your real name. So at least introduce yourself with your given name, and if you want to do a "but you can just call me nickname/callsign/whatever", that's cool.

Again, it makes no difference to my life.

Funny you say that, because while Captain is my official title, people seem to have a hard time with the proper spelling; God.

If everyone would just accept this, life would be so much easier.

Funny you say that, because while Captain is my official title, people seem to have a hard time with the proper spelling; God.

If everyone would just accept this, life would be so much easier.

Shouldn't it be GOD (all CAPS)? :D

There are all subtle signs that add up.

A guy who just wears long sleeves may raise an eyebrow and/or put people on guard.

But a guy who wears long sleeves, and insists on being called "Captain Ace", and who's first briefing consists of "I fly by the book, but I'm laid back".... well, ya, it might indicate a problem.

Richman
(1) Long sleeves, long trip.
(2) "Yeah, I'm pretty laid back, and I'm pretty standard." Translation: I'm not really all that laid back, and I read the standards manual...once...when I was hired.

(1) Long sleeves, long trip.
(2) "Yeah, I'm pretty laid back, and I'm pretty standard." Translation: I'm not really all that laid back, and I read the standards manual...once...when I was hired.

Please god no. I just left that environment. Well other than the fact there were no SOPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like an inflated pufferfish, a hissing cat or a rattlesnake rattling, long sleeves is nature's way of saying "stay away"

God I miss Gary Larson....

Richman
or "it's bloody cold on my walkaround," but we have other uniform pieces to fix that.

Back