Captain Kila's State of the (Aviation) Union Address

Captain Kila,

Profiling a number of colleagues who are unable to get a job despite their level of qualification vs. your own challenges would lend greater credibility to your piece.

-Captain Jett

Thanks, that's a good idea but I feel a bit out of the loop, removed if you will, from the real world out there, having been in Indonesia for over 4 years now. It seems many guys are actually faring quite well lately and I don't really have any data from anyone else to compare to. We could perhaps start a thread about that?

Thanks, that's a good idea but I feel a bit out of the loop, removed if you will, from the real world out there, having been in Indonesia for over 4 years now. It seems many guys are actually faring quite well lately and I don't really have any data from anyone else to compare to. We could perhaps start a thread about that?
I mean if you are physically alive I think you can get a job at a regional. Brain dead is fine. Just need that heart beating.
Craptastic to an ok job is very available on the 135 side. Most places will type you, because they need a pilot.
A lot of people are getting hired at majors, even more at the LCC and ACMI sectors.

The trick isn't your resume. Most places could almost care less. You can fly a plane, congrats, now it's all about getting your foot in the door(usually requires networking) and then when you do, to keep that foot out of your mouth. Do I want to spend X amount of days with you?
Brutal honesty - the way you came across in the first post, the answer to that question is no. And you're not going to get hired anywhere you actually want to work as long as that question is no.

1. Seriously dude, you don't know what you're talking about and assuming way too much. Inflated ego and arrogance? Ever even BEEN to Indonesia? I'll humor you: It started at a Starbucks, where they ask your name for the cup, per normal the guy just couldn't get my name right. My copilot stepped in and told him my name was Kila, emphasizing the i pronounced like an e in English. He got it right the first time and from then on I started using Kila. There is NOTHING in my article, or anything I have said or done for that matter warranting your accusations when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

2. Those were my actual titles in the company so wtf else am I supposed to put? Again, in Indonesia where I worked, they designate one captain as the lead captain and in my records it's listed as Lead PIC. Listing my factual job titles, again in no way warrants your comments.

3. Martyr? WTF are you talking about? I re-emphasized, since everyone is not seeing it that way, the point of the article and why I wrote it. I re-read it as well and it is what I said it is. I wrote it in English and every word means something in the dictionary and again, it is not about me, but my experiences lately applying for jobs, what needs to be fixed and how to fix them. Many people have complimented me on it, many are taking it as you are, which just baffles me. But I really don't care if you want to try and read into it something more than it is.

4. My avatar? Really? It's a photo of me as most avatars are. Doesn't mean or indicate anything at all.

5. Lastly, I'm not removing or changing a damn thing. If folks want to try and read into it and make up issues, that's their business and I don't really care because every word in the article is a fact, those are problems, they should be fixed, and don't tell me that a type rating should be the #1 basis on being considered for a job because that's mostly the problem I'm talking about. Many of us aren't afforded an opportunity, when we normally would have been, all other things considered, and it's wrong, stupid and does no one, including the company needing the pilot, any good. Period.

Many of you are harping on me, what you think I am, or whatever, yet almost no one is talking about the real issue which is all I am trying to do: bring it up so we can try to fix those issues. Or at least discuss them. I'm done defending my article and you can continue to read more into it and accuse me of whatever you want, but if you don't know me personally, it's all hogwash anyway. Someone mentioned on here that yes we all know this, and I'm just wasting energy yelling at the system and that's just the way it is (or something to that effect) but I think it's worth trying to bring up and try to change things for the better, no matter how difficult it may be to do so.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^A lesson for everyone

dont-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot.jpg

The best are units where guys only know someone by their callsign and have to really think to remember their fellow squadron mates' actual names.

I had a really good friend in the military and when he got a new number he texted me saying "it's Alex". I was like who the eff is Alex? I don't know any Alex's. It wasn't until he told me his last name I knew who he was. I don't think anyone but my parents called me by my first name the whole time I was in.

Couple of things, you live in Indonesia right now? Many employers will shy away from that. Come back to the US and get a job, not your dream job or a better job. You have a reason why your flying FO for minimum wage. And lastly no one will care about why you still use your call sign it's weird. I am a hiring manager at my job and trust me, we have honest conversations and that on a resume or anywhere else I would take a step back. Also, I have a fake linked in and facebook page, I recon all my potential people. I see that article, I'm running. Also, I did interview with you years ago and it was different, not a bad experience at all, just different. I am also good friends with people on this site that have been unemployed or are now in hiring positions that are trying to help you. The article maybe true, or factual based, but it will not help you or the industry. People don't like to be told they are wrong or your idea is better. You have to learn tack and approach, trust me I get more stuff my way on my terms by playing the game. I glad you wrote it, because if we ever apply for the same job I don't have to worry about you being competition for me. As for the titles, they are what they are, I'm a Lead Captain, it's actually a accepted term now, has a pay scale and everything. The other ones are fine as well. I have not seen your cover letter or resume, but I would suggest getting it done by a aviation specific writer and get some job/interview prep/guidance done. I have a great guy that has a great reputation for getting the best out of you. I have way less experience then you do in years and recently have interviewed for 3 jobs, 2 fortune 5 departments and one a fortune 250 place. And all three were completely different and I don't think based on the idea that you said I won't change what I said or waver in anyway these places would pass on you. Also, when your applying to be a manager these days, it's not the military and HR managers want to see a person that is flexible and calm and can handle stuff. This article, and the use of your call sign would send bad vibes up anyone's neck. We have 3 former military pilots and I have no idea what their call signs are, they have real names. And in the last few years we have interviewed over 20 military pilots for various positions and not one of them used a call sign or even had it anywhere near their resume or online profiles. I would suggest again getting some interview prep/career advice from someone in the community, I use a company that has been awesome and has helped me more then anyone else. And finally, CP and DOs want experience so they feel comfortable they won't have issues, they want a person that won't come in and want to run THEIR department. This coupled with your very true article and your seems to be very strait forward by rigid approach will make many DOs and HR managers walk. Hopefully this helps.

But why? It's something that's always made me curious involving your job in a relationship ceremony.

I think I see the disconnect here. Have you not been in the military?

Can't speak for anyone else, but being a commissioned military officer is more than just a "job" due to the heavy commitment, stringent requirements for entry, and potential sacrifice while serving; it is often called a "calling" instead.

As such, there is a lot of symbolism and pride in wearing that uniform that is quite different than a random civilian job. Because the service is a commitment that also heavily involves and impacts spouses and families of the service member, spouses and families are also heavily engaged and invested in that service and often see the same symbolism and pride in the uniform.

I actually wore my uniform for many other formal events in life while I was on active duty, too.

Plus, as has been said, some women like how that uniform looks...and when planning a wedding, you do exactly what she wants to do.

Last edited:
Couple of things, you live in Indonesia right now? Many employers will shy away from that. Come back to the US and get a job, not your dream job or a better job. You have a reason why your flying FO for minimum wage. And lastly no one will care about why you still use your call sign it's weird. I am a hiring manager at my job and trust me, we have honest conversations and that on a resume or anywhere else I would take a step back. Also, I have a fake linked in and facebook page, I recon all my potential people. I see that article, I'm running. Also, I did interview with you years ago and it was different, not a bad experience at all, just different. I am also good friends with people on this site that have been unemployed or are now in hiring positions that are trying to help you. The article maybe true, or factual based, but it will not help you or the industry. People don't like to be told they are wrong or your idea is better. You have to learn tack and approach, trust me I get more stuff my way on my terms by playing the game. I glad you wrote it, because if we ever apply for the same job I don't have to worry about you being competition for me. As for the titles, they are what they are, I'm a Lead Captain, it's actually a accepted term now, has a pay scale and everything. The other ones are fine as well. I have not seen your cover letter or resume, but I would suggest getting it done by a aviation specific writer and get some job/interview prep/guidance done. I have a great guy that has a great reputation for getting the best out of you. I have way less experience then you do in years and recently have interviewed for 3 jobs, 2 fortune 5 departments and one a fortune 250 place. And all three were completely different and I don't think based on the idea that you said I won't change what I said or waver in anyway these places would pass on you. Also, when your applying to be a manager these days, it's not the military and HR managers want to see a person that is flexible and calm and can handle stuff. This article, and the use of your call sign would send bad vibes up anyone's neck. We have 3 former military pilots and I have no idea what their call signs are, they have real names. And in the last few years we have interviewed over 20 military pilots for various positions and not one of them used a call sign or even had it anywhere near their resume or online profiles. I would suggest again getting some interview prep/career advice from someone in the community, I use a company that has been awesome and has helped me more then anyone else. And finally, CP and DOs want experience so they feel comfortable they won't have issues, they want a person that won't come in and want to run THEIR department. This coupled with your very true article and your seems to be very strait forward by rigid approach will make many DOs and HR managers walk. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you very much for all that. Ok, I get it....kind of. BTW, Kila isn't (wasn't) even my callsign in the military LOL. It's just what people started calling me. More of a nickname, but ok, I will delete it from everything since people don't like it. Yes I'm still in Indonesia because my wife is Indonesian and I thought to continue my job search from here, with her, since if I go to the USA, minimum 6 month process getting her there. But again, point taken. Maybe I should have someone take a look at my resume......FYI I have been offered 4 jobs, that I didn't get into because it wasn't prudent to the topic, but I had to turn them down for various reasons. I was also offered one and then later, the company decided not to by the airplane lol. I still don't understand what is bad about the article since it just states facts and issues etc. But apparently I'm the only one who doesn't see it.

I think I see the disconnect here. Have you not been in the military?

Can't speak for anyone else, but being a commissioned military officer is more than just a "job" due to the heavy commitment, stringent requirements for entry, and potential sacrifice while serving; it is often called a "calling" instead.

As such, there is a lot of symbolism and pride in wearing that uniform that is quite different than a random civilian job. Because the service is a commitment that also heavily involves and impacts spouses and families of the service member, spouses and families are also heavily engaged and invested in that service and often see the same symbolism and pride in the uniform.

I actually wore my uniform for many other formal events in life while I was on active duty, too.

Plus, as has been said, some women like how that uniform looks...and when planning a wedding, you do exactly what she wants to do.

Yes sir, 21 years in the Navy.

I mean if you are physically alive I think you can get a job at a regional. Brain dead is fine. Just need that heart beating.
Craptastic to an ok job is very available on the 135 side. Most places will type you, because they need a pilot.
A lot of people are getting hired at majors, even more at the LCC and ACMI sectors.

The trick isn't your resume. Most places could almost care less. You can fly a plane, congrats, now it's all about getting your foot in the door(usually requires networking) and then when you do, to keep that foot out of your mouth. Do I want to spend X amount of days with you?
Brutal honesty - the way you came across in the first post, the answer to that question is no. And you're not going to get hired anywhere you actually want to work as long as that question is no.

Fair enough. I can take brutally honest. I also know if you met me, you would change your mind. But for the life of me, I don't know how I come across as anything in an article stating facts, not about me! Why and how do I come across as anything? Is it not true? Yes. The only thing about me are a little introduction to the reader (basically so they know I am at least qualified to make the statements) and personal examples that support the topic. Why is everyone saying I come across as anything, let alone an egomaniac •?

Thank you for your service!

5. Lastly, I'm not removing or changing a damn thing.

Well, you received a lot of good advice here, (along with a little mostly good-natured abuse),

Many of you are harping on me, what you think I am, or whatever, yet almost no one is talking about the real issue which is all I am trying to do: bring it up so we can try to fix those issues. Or at least discuss them. I'm done defending my article and you can continue to read more into it and accuse me of whatever you want, but if you don't know me personally, it's all hogwash anyway. Someone mentioned on here that yes we all know this, and I'm just wasting energy yelling at the system and that's just the way it is (or something to that effect) but I think it's worth trying to bring up and try to change things for the better, no matter how difficult it may be to do so.

Part of your statement here is correct, it seems the group is more interested in helping you solve your immediate problem of unemployment as opposed to discussing the problems we deal with in hiring practices.

I don't really think people are "harping" on you or so much "harping" on what they think you are. I believe we are trying to tell you the opinion one derives of a person who would write such an article. If a hiring manager found that article, you would have to change that hiring manager's opinion of you in order to get hired. You could be a friendly, cooperative, humble professional, but you'd be starting the interview from a deficit.

Good Luck to You!

:sarcasm:Capt. Mike "Crappy Landing" .... :sarcasm:

The article is correct, but if the dress makes your wife's ass look big, you don't say it. You think it, you might even discuss it with your friends....maybe. I'm all for open dialogue once we get to know each other, but if my first impressions are this, it's kind of hard to think about other things that may be awesome about you and this article is all they see. Now you seem to want to stay in Indonesia, don't know what it's like. But in the US it is usually easier to find a job if you have a job, and if I took a lateral move or a step down in position to keep employment and have a reason, like my current job was eliminated by the company selling the jet. I can understand that. Now here is the big one, I left from XYZ because of some issues, be careful, what you think are big issues could be seen as petty to the person across the table or how you come off my make them think is this guy really telling the truth. I know it sucks to be in this position. And you don't want to make a erratic or bad move. But maybe just flying a jet and lose all the other jobs may get you where you want to be. Trust me, it was asked in 3 of my last interviews, they were adamant about I know I would be just a pilot for awhile.

Not for nothing, but dumb down your resume and apply to one of the 121 regional airlines in the US. They are all hiring. They will call you for an interview.

Get rid of all of the social media crap that you have posted before you apply. Social media will not get you an interview, but it sure will prevent you from getting one.

If you demonstrate during the interview that you are easy to get along with and won't end up in the Chief Pilots office more than 1 time a year then they will most likely offer you a job. They already know you can fly. They just want to make sure you can get along with others.

There are a lot of guys with your experience overseas that are now coming back to the US and starting at the 121 regional airlines. They will be there a couple of years and if nothing goes wrong they will be at one of legacy carriers soon after.

1. Seriously dude, you don't know what you're talking about and assuming way too much. Inflated ego and arrogance? Ever even BEEN to Indonesia? I'll humor you: It started at a Starbucks, where they ask your name for the cup, per normal the guy just couldn't get my name right. My copilot stepped in and told him my name was Kila, emphasizing the i pronounced like an e in English. He got it right the first time and from then on I started using Kila. There is NOTHING in my article, or anything I have said or done for that matter warranting your accusations when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

2. Those were my actual titles in the company so wtf else am I supposed to put? Again, in Indonesia where I worked, they designate one captain as the lead captain and in my records it's listed as Lead PIC. Listing my factual job titles, again in no way warrants your comments.

3. Martyr? WTF are you talking about? I re-emphasized, since everyone is not seeing it that way, the point of the article and why I wrote it. I re-read it as well and it is what I said it is. I wrote it in English and every word means something in the dictionary and again, it is not about me, but my experiences lately applying for jobs, what needs to be fixed and how to fix them. Many people have complimented me on it, many are taking it as you are, which just baffles me. But I really don't care if you want to try and read into it something more than it is.

4. My avatar? Really? It's a photo of me as most avatars are. Doesn't mean or indicate anything at all.

5. Lastly, I'm not removing or changing a damn thing. If folks want to try and read into it and make up issues, that's their business and I don't really care because every word in the article is a fact, those are problems, they should be fixed, and don't tell me that a type rating should be the #1 basis on being considered for a job because that's mostly the problem I'm talking about. Many of us aren't afforded an opportunity, when we normally would have been, all other things considered, and it's wrong, stupid and does no one, including the company needing the pilot, any good. Period.

You can have a callsign............. on MilitaryOnly.com........... civilian folks just don't get it!

:D

Back