American Eagle AIP/TA- An Analysis

While the T/A is a turd sandwich no matter how you look at it! At least the MEC should have asked for a guarantee in the contract that all the CR7s stay on property, when they counter offered.

What makes you think they didn't?
I should have refrased that. I hope they did ask for that in their counter. A4A and Richard Anderson have proactively reshaped the regional landscape. I heard from a high level source at a private dinner function before hand, that they were closing Comair to purchase Pinnacle in CH.11. The other mainline carriers will follow Sothernjets lead in restructuring their 50 seat aircraft feed.

I hope they did ask for that in their counter.

That and $5 will (maybe) get you a Starbuck's coffee.

For some reason line pilots seem to think that ALPA, or any bargaining unit negotiating committee for that matter, can go to the table and tell the company how it is going to be. It doesn't work that way, at all. Like any negotiation, there are things that are things that don't cost anything but are sacred cows, there are things that cost a lot but can be given away (or taken) and then there is everything else in between.

That and $5 will (maybe) get you a Starbuck's coffee.

For some reason line pilots seem to think that ALPA, or any bargaining unit negotiating committee for that matter, can go to the table and tell the company how it is going to be. It doesn't work that way, at all. Like any negotiation, there are things that are things that don't cost anything but are sacred cows, there are things that cost a lot but can be given away (or taken) and then there is everything else in between.
I'm not up to speed on union negotiations, so I'm a neophyte when it comes to what goes on in contract negotiations; especially pilot contracts. I haven't been in a union since I was in the TWU at American back in 1995. (Wow...has it been that long?!:eek2:) I hope Eagle pilots stand their ground for the sake of the profession.

I'm not up to speed on union negotiations, so I'm a neophyte when it comes to what goes on in contract negotiations; especially pilot contracts. I haven't been in a union since I was in the TWU at American back in 1995. (Wow...has it been that long?!:eek2:) I hope Eagle pilots stand their ground for the sake of the profession.

It wasn't directed at you so much as the general mindset that pilots seem to have. Apparently when an NC or MEC doesn't get what they want it's because they didn't ask for it. That's just not how it works, but until you get in the room and see the process (which is pretty limited access) you just don't know that.

It wasn't directed at you so much as the general mindset that pilots seem to have. Apparently when an NC or MEC doesn't get what they want it's because they didn't ask for it. That's just not how it works, but until you get in the room and see the process (which is pretty limited access) you just don't know that.
Got it!:)

The math is weak with me, but here are some facts. Cost of living increases 2 to 3 % per year. On a 10 year deal, your purchasing power is 20 to 30% lower than it is today.

60 jets with 10 pilots per plane equals 600 pilot jobs. Emb-135s are already gone. 140s and 145s have a parking schedule. If we lose the crjs that's another 470 jobs lost. These are replacement jets and no growth is forecast.

If I currently operate a 50 seat jet and tomorrow I operate one with 76 seats my productivity has just increased 25%. Why would I take a pay cut to become more productive?

If new computers were needed at the gate, would gate agents be asked for a pay cut? If ground service needed new tugs, would rampers be asked for a pay cut?

Sadly,I believe this deal will pass. Mostly on the shoulders of the guys within 10 years of retirement. Too much for them to lose. I haven't heard of an f/o yet (besides Chicago lec rep) who is a yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

While the T/A is a turd sandwich no matter how you look at it! At least the MEC should have asked for a guarantee in the contract that all the CR7s stay on property, when they counter offered.

Word on the street is that they did and the company balked. There's a FB post circulating from a former Eagle pilot that got picked up by America West back in the day- he claims that threatening doom and destruction in the opening volley is straight out of Doug Parker's playbook. Standard stuff, he says.
Let's be real here people- Doug Parker thinks himself Frank Lorenzo 2.0. Let's put a kabosh on this quickly, shall we?

The math is weak with me, but here are some facts. Cost of living increases 2 to 3 % per year. On a 10 year deal, your purchasing power is 20 to 30% lower than it is today.

60 jets with 10 pilots per plane equals 600 pilot jobs. Emb-135s are already gone. 140s and 145s have a parking schedule. If we lose the crjs that's another 470 jobs lost. These are replacement jets and no growth is forecast.

If I currently operate a 50 seat jet and tomorrow I operate one with 76 seats my productivity has just increased 25%. Why would I take a pay cut to become more productive?

If new computers were needed at the gate, would gate agents be asked for a pay cut? If ground service needed new tugs, would rampers be asked for a pay cut?

Sadly,I believe this deal will pass. Mostly on the shoulders of the guys within 10 years of retirement. Too much for them to lose. I haven't heard of an f/o yet (besides Chicago lec rep) who is a yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is why we have to keep beating the drums. Ramp frequenices are ripe with transmissions ending 'Vote no...' and calls to taxi with logo lights off for Voting No...
Now more than ever is the time to have hope that pilots will do the right thing. When you give in to fear and apathy, management wins. Stand up and say what's right!
(And I'll be dipped if any FO would vote yes- anybody currently on property not yet upgraded has the potential to see their pay capped at Step 12 for years if this passes. They told pilots they'd be at AA in 2 or 3 years under Letter 3 15 years ago.... Then 9/11 happened....)

Word on the street is that they did and the company balked. There's a FB post circulating from a former Eagle pilot that got picked up by America West back in the day- he claims that threatening doom and destruction in the opening volley is straight out of Doug Parker's playbook. Standard stuff, he says.
Let's be real here people- Doug Parker thinks himself Frank Lorenzo 2.0. Let's put a kabosh on this quickly, shall we?
The problem is you and many other people think Paker cares about what happens at/to Eagle. The truth is Paker couldn't care less on the workings of Eagle. We are a very small piece of a large global operation.

The problem is you and many other people think Paker cares about what happens at/to Eagle. The truth is Paker couldn't care less on the workings of Eagle. We are a very small piece of a large global operation.

And that's where I think you miss something- Eagle is still an organic part of the operation that gives a degree of control to the situation- and we all know how our overlords love control.

That's why this is so important- they want Eagle as the stick against other regionals. That means we have to set a high bar while we can.

So, you guys are called Envoy now?

I keep hearing that rumor but haven't seen anything official.

EDIT: I had to dig around in JetNet a little, but that's the word. 'American Eagle' will be the brand name that all American feed partners will operate under. The company currently known as 'American Eagle' will be changing our name to 'Envoy'.

That said- the timing of this is no coincidence! Don't be distracted! NO CONCESSIONS! NO WAVERING!

Last edited:
So, you guys are called Envoy now?
Taylor-Swift-Laughing-Gif-taylor-swift-30258989-500-245.gif

Back