My CFI-A Check-Ride writeup

CFIT99

I'm probably commenting ironically...

here is what my CFI ride looked like last week. I'm sure I forgot somethings on the oral and flight but I got about 90% of it here. overall it was 5 hours of oral and about 1.7 on the hobbs in the plane. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!!:sitaware:

CFI – A check ride

Arrived at FSDO 10 minutes early and met pat in the small lounge. After a chatting a bit got our guest passes and went to a room to start. I got prepared and had everything laid out …EVERYTHING that you will need especially to show her that you’re ready for anything.

First as I was getting my endorsements and test results out she checked over my 8710, medical, commercial certificate and picture id (license or passport, IT MUST BE VALID, mine expired a few weeks ago and I had to make sure it was current). She noted that the 8710 had to be perfect, no mistakes and no missing edges, the printer didn’t print the side border and she made me write it out on a new 8710 form she said that the FAA wouldn’t approve it and she would get yelled at for it. She went over the practical in a concise manner letting me know what she expected and what we were planning on doing.

Before the test officially started you show her your qualified to take the exam. I showed her my endorsements and written results (include your complex endorsement). I opened the FAR’s to show her as a guide (not because I didn’t’ know them). Use 61.187a – k and walk her through it. Then I opened 61.39a6i to show her I was prepared for the practical and that I had my 2-month endorsement (formerly 60 day endorsement) She was satisfied and then I showed her that the plane was airworthy and showed her the MX logs. REMEMBER TO TURN EVERY MOMENT INTO A TEACHING MOMENT! I walked through the MX log as if she was a student. (Remember to have a current TACH time print out to show how much time you have left on each check). I told her but she eventually didn’t want to see all the checks and we moved on.

Then the test officially started:

She went right into asking me about endorsements.

• Question: I am a student at KDPA flying a Piper Warrior and I just bought a Cessna 182 (fixed leg) and I want to finish up my training in the Cessna, What do I have to do?
    • Remember to ask questions: How much duel, have you soloed, have you any XC training? (Also remember that its no a complex but it had a Constant Speed prop. So you would have to train the student on Make and Model and endorse on Student Pilot Cert. And in Logbook (even though he soloed already), also would need XC training on both also. Would need pre-solo knowledge too pertaining to Aircraft FAR 61.87 a, c, d.

• Question: How would you as a pilot log cross – country?

• I looked up in 61.1 for the definition and interpreted it to be any thing from a different airport of departure and the use of navaids, pilotage, dead reckoning, etc. (She wanted to hear that any of it can be logged but only certain flights can be used for requirements towards the PPL, i.e. over 50nm from point of original departure.

2b. Question: How many hours of dual XC training does a student pilot need?

• Key word is STUDENT; don’t go right to the PPL requirements because that’s not what she asked. Its states in FAR 61.93b that a students receive flight training, logged it and then an endorsement but never states an hour requirement, which in FAR 61.109a1 it states that they need 3 hours. (So you can give 1 or 10 hours of dual XC training, all you need is 3 to qualify for the PPL.)

• Question: I’m a Commercial Pilot, with Rotorcraft – Helicopter certificate AND a Private airplane single engine land, can you please give me a Flight Review.
    • First I clarified that I can only give on in an airplane b/c that’s what I’m only rated for and the I went to FAR 61.56a – c to explain that I need 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight, but it may take more depending on how I feel on these areas: and I went over a couple points (part 91, emergency Procedures, etc) and then brought up the fact that after the regulations state that I can give a FR in any aircraft (it doesn’t state anything about Category or Class) so a FR in a Cessna 172 will count for the Bell 206Ranger. SHE wanted to hear you say the reason for this to determine qualified as a PIC which is why your giving a FR

• Question: She wanted me to teach a lesson on High Altitude Operations?
    • Remember to ask questions before to determine the student! ONLY commercial students apply, specified because they aren’t in the PPL PTS only the COMM PTS. Take 5-10 min and prepare a lesson plan, and remember to go over what the PTS asks for. USE your notes and the PHAK, after talking about lesson which she said was fine she said that there was more then just Rapid and Explosive decompression, I said it wasn’t in the PHAK and she opened and looked and it wasn’t so, she said that I was fine. (They can’t bust you for not talking about something that wasn’t covered by the FAA Publications!) HINT: I used the FAR’s 91.211 and walked through the parts such as HA endorsement and supplemental oxygen, writing them on the white board to emphasis the points…. SHE REALLY LIKED THAT. (Note: be sure to know how all systems on a pressurized aircraft work, i.e. bleed valve, outflow valve, safety valve, cabin altitude gauge, cabin VSI gauge, differential pressure gauge and how they area)

• Question: What teaching method would you use to introduce Airspace to a new student/s, especially pertaining to class E and G airspace?
    • I said that if this was new information that I would discuss this in a Lecture method, and is the best way to deliver a lot of NEW information, then break down into small groups to discuss the finer points. I went on to discuss E and G airspace. I drew a profile picture and broke the down the airspace INCLUDING the WX minimum.

5b. Question: If I am flying in E airspace, in certain situations why would I have to descend in G airspace and then what would I have to do if I had to fly into and through class E airspace that extends to the ground?
a. MAINLY you have to descend because the weather deteriorated and then explain basic VFR weather minimums and the difference between E and G, I opened the FAR’s again and explained using FAR 91.155 then we would have to make sure that before entering Class E to the ground that we had to get the ASOS weather!!!!!!! SHE WANTS TO HEAR YOU SAY THIS BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY WAY WE WILL KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THE WX IS ABOVE 3 MILES VIS AND 1000 FT CIELINGS (FSS is the other way FWIW). She showed in the same reg 91.157(d) that you can’t land under VFR at any B, C, D or E airspace airport without 3 miles visibility (NOTE: the 1000ft rule is stated on paragraph before in 91.157[c] stating that you can’t land under VFR under 1000 ft ceilings.)

• Question: I am a commercial student getting ready to take my commercial check ride tomorrow, can you help me with some weight and balance question, I know she is going to ask me to ask 150 lbs to the baggage compartment, show me how we would do this.
    • KEEP IT SIMPLE, he is a commercial student ready for his ride and doesn’t need to go through everything that a PPL student would need seeing it for the first time. I went too far in depth, she said it wasn’t wrong but it wasn’t what she was looking for. GO over just how to do a W&B then show how adding the weight would change the CG and show this on the GRAPH. [NOTE: know where to find the actual weight of the aircraft individual to that tail number, it’s in the W&B in the POH IN THE AIRPLANE.]

• Question: Teach me how to do S-Turns?
    • REMEMBER to ask questions: as your student you would introduce this after you have taught heading vs. ground track, rectangular course and turns around a point (which I forgot). Just ask for a few minutes to prepare, she likes to see an overview on the board written out: i.e. pre-maneuver, set-up, performance, common errors and pts standards. REMEMBER to go slow and to teach what happens when the common errors happen (this should all be in your PTA’s to begin with). After she shows a bit of how she would have done it, but ultimately nothing was wrong. She suggested not bringing up the PTS in the introduction as to not add pressure on the student since this is the first time they are seeing this. (I brought it up to show I am aware of the standards set by the FAA)

After this was when I complete the ORAL exam. In between each question was maybe minor questions but they were more of a discussion nature but still act as if you’re teaching at all TIMES. OVERVIEW: be ready for: ENDORSEMENTS, Private Pilot Requirements and Standards, FAR’s, High Altitude Operations, Airspace and be ready for any maneuver!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:rawk:

CFI – A: Flight

BEFORE FLIGHT/BRIEFING:

Arrive at the airport and make sure you have everything you need to fly. She will brief you on what she plans to do with a POA and tells you how she expects things to be done. She starts with low level maneuvers and moves to higher maneuvers.

I had to show here again that the aircraft was good to go to fly with a quick check in the maintenance logs. Then gave her a briefing on the weather and what we can expect (also Winds Aloft, TFR’s, visibility)

I preflight the plane before she arrived and it was a very straightforward and no surprises at all.

FLIGHT:

Started the aircraft and pretended at all times that this was a first time student and that this is her first flight. So I went through things a bit slowly with the checklists.

Remember to talk all the time even when taxiing, she wants to see this.

Give a briefing on how you want to see things, emergencies; positive transfer of control is HUGE!!!! Use what you can as a moment to teach (radio calls, taxi way symbols, other aircraft, etc.)

Normal Takeoff: remember to talk through it, nothing surprising here, pitch for airspeed and explain why you’re doing everything (right rudder, power settings, attitude)

S-Turns: she had me perform and teach to a student, remember correct entry and altitude to be at and how the winds will effect you

Steep Turns: she had me perform and teach to a student at the commercial level, she covered up the AI, DG. Remember to explain why something is going wrong (i.e. gain in altitude, that’s because…. and here’s what we do….)

Slow Flight in to a Power off Stall: she had me perform and teach nothing surprising just remember checklists and explain why we are learning this.
Elevator Trim Tab Stall: She performed while I walked through. She will pitch up a lot! And you have to relax while she acts like student and make sure recovers correctly!

Short Field T/O and landing at KDKB: She flew to airport then I took over but explain proper entry, radio calls for an uncontrolled airport. I landed and taxied back then she took over and flew a soft field T/O and had me critique…she didn’t do anything wrong, just wanted to know when you turn crosswind in the pattern (within 300 ft if staying in the pattern, climb to pattern altitude first before departing)
Power-off 180: I flew and taught how to do one, everything went fine, I was gonna stick my landing point and then she tole me to go around about 5 feet from touchdown...didn't see that coming at all! BE READY FOR ANYTHING. then left the patteren.

Eights on Pylons: nothing special here either, remember pivotal altitude, correct entry points and time between ground reference.

Flew back to KDPA and she flew a soft field landing while you critiqued. REMEMBER TO STAY QUITE!!!

IMPORTANT THINGS:

• remember checklist, especially cowl flaps and when they are incorporated in your flows.
  • Remember what student your teaching to (private commercial)
  • Remember positive control
  • Don’t ride the breaks while taxiing she will call you out numerous times
  • Don’t be scared to ask questions pertaining to how she wants things to be performed (clarifications)
She said she would have done more if I didn't do well on those things but I didn't have a problem...actually nailed all the maneuvers!:tmyk:

Cool. Thanks for the write-up.

If it is Pat, I did not even know that she was still doing checkrides, and with the FSDO for that matter.

My ride is in about a week, books are being hit hardddddd.

yes it is Pat...she is great, she has forgotten more then I have ever known...

Cool. Thanks for the write-up.

If it is Pat, I did not even know that she was still doing checkrides, and with the FSDO for that matter.

My ride is in about a week, books are being hit hardddddd.

Good Luck bro!!!...you have any question feel free to ask this CFI!!!!

Yeah Pats the DO for Sterling up in MKE. I worked with her in the Cit. III when she came through FSI for recurrent. She also flies a Soverign I believe.

yeah the flight was fairly easy...the oral was a bit more brutal then the writeup suggests....those were the base questions but a whole lot of little crap inbetween...

Thanks for the write up I'm getting ready to take the CFI-A ride with the DPA FSDO in a couple of weeks myself.

overall it was 5 hours of oral

I had a tough and tiring oral! More than 8hours! I had my practical test the next day!

1.7 on the hobbs in the plane.
My test continued early next morning and ended in the evening but I had 3 hours of flight.

It was extremely tiring! Mentally torturing. :bang:

I have read many CFI write-up in this forum, mine could be one of the toughest and definitely the longest. Test stretched over 2 days. :aghast: Till now, nobody breaks my record.

Congrats. Makes me so happy I don't ever have to do that ride again.

Back