Aviate interview. Weird HR question to discuss.

5ein3

Hello pilots. I'm currently working on CFI and I actually applied and got interview for aviate program.

So until the day of the interview, I heard many examples and expectations from CFI's in my collage. Both someone who have applied, and who is in it. I tried to practice and prepared for it. But unfortunately I did not get in.

During the interview, I had a question saying "Tell me about the time when you made someone respected." At first, I really got confused. Like am I supposed to tell when "I" made someone respect "me"? I asked to the interviewers to make it sure. And they said yes.

I was still struggling and tried to pull out some words from my memories. I told about my experience as I have lived in all over the place in the world so I have an understanding to different people different culture and stuff. and that made someone respect me.

*I'm still 20 and dont have a career with aviation. So HR questions' answers would be mostly from my flight training and my non-aviation stories.

What was I supposed to talk about? What are they expecting from this question? I want to be more prepared for the interview next year so I would like some advices here please .

This (along with basically all TMAAT questions) is the sort of horsecrap interview question that exists to give people a reason to hire whoever they like, discriminate against whoever they don't, and pretend it's somehow based on the applicant's performance. ("This is your job to lose.")

In short: the question is meaningless, airline hiring is bullcrap, and if you try to assign logic to it and try to figure out how
to answer, you're only going to end up upset and frustrated.

If you want to get hired by the airlines, go to an interview prep place and dump a bunch of money so a rich white dude can teach you how to answer questions like a rich white dude. They'll coach you into the character you're supposed to present.

Real interviews in real industries don't use questions like that, but as everyone here will tell you, "shut up and play the game, sling BS like a pro, study the gouge, and win."

Sounds like a question did you ever do something for someone that really knocked it out of the park, and they gained your respect in doing so (whereas before you weren’t seen that way with them).

And I mean, honestly, if this is the level of response we can expect to grade 1 button-mashing attempts to engineer a response from the drooling masses, no wonder they're sure they've got us nailed down and compliant. "I harve many tried times aviate to, but Man have down me on". Lolol, as the cavalry crests the ridge to defend the honor of Innocence Abused. We should just go ahead and surrender to Chat GPT and spare ourselves further embarrassment.

This (along with basically all TMAAT questions) is the sort of horsecrap interview question that exists to give people a reason to hire whoever they like, discriminate against whoever they don't, and pretend it's somehow based on the applicant's performance. ("This is your job to lose.")

In short: the question is meaningless, airline hiring is bullcrap, and if you try to assign logic to it and try to figure out how
to answer, you're only going to end up upset and frustrated.

If you want to get hired by the airlines, go to an interview prep place and dump a bunch of money so a rich white dude can teach you how to answer questions like a rich white dude. They'll coach you into the character you're supposed to present.

Real interviews in real industries don't use questions like that, but as everyone here will tell you, "shut up and play the game, sling BS like a pro, study the gouge, and win."

I know you are angry at the world right now, but that's not an excuse to give • advice to people who are genuinely looking for answers.

First off, the 6 different airline interviews I've done over the past 20 years (one 135, two 121 regional, and three 121 majors) all were mostly conducted by a majority of female, non white employees. USAirways was the least diverse three white dudes (one hr/two pilots) and two (non white) females (one pilot/one flight ops admin).

Secondly I've done one legit interview prep (and worked with a female) and one resume review that was handled by somebody who introduced themselves as they (and was actually named Pat).

That specific question isn't a great one, but it's not about the question but rather the process the applicant uses to answer. And having dine several interviews in the corporate world for my other (and past) day jobs, I've seen more than the majority of places use some pretty ridiculous interview techniques. There have been whole books written about the Google interview process, and I've heard some super strange stories from friends who interviewed at SpaceX.

You've got a lot to offer this community, and I'm genuinely sorry that you've ended up stuck in this career rut you currently are in. But that doesn't give you justification to provide bad advice to others.

I know you are angry at the world right now, but that's not an excuse to give • advice to people who are genuinely looking for answers.

My advice came down to: Get interview prep, don't take the stupid interview questions personally. I consider that good advice, frankly.

First off, the 6 different airline interviews I've done over the past 20 years (one 135, two 121 regional, and three 121 majors) all were mostly conducted by a majority of female, non white employees. USAirways was the least diverse three white dudes (one hr/two pilots) and two (non white) females (one pilot/one flight ops admin).

Five airline interviews (135, 121 regional, three 121 majors). 100% white, 100% male (except for two dedicated HR people). But ultimately it's the process, not the people, that I'm referring to.

That specific question isn't a great one, but it's not about the question but rather the process the applicant uses to answer.

That's the story, but ultimately, what does it actually tell you about the candidate? What does it tell you about their knowledge, skills, personality, attitude or even interpersonal skills that's remotely applicable to the job, the company, or anything else? Almost every horrible captain I've ever flown with has made it to a major at this point.

And having dine several interviews in the corporate world for my other (and past) day jobs, I've seen more than the majority of places use some pretty ridiculous interview techniques. There have been whole books written about the Google interview process, and I've heard some super strange stories from friends who interviewed at SpaceX.

Yeah—there's a reason google is an absolute dumpster fire, and people in the rest of the industry laugh at people who are super proud of being "google engineers." (They do get paid a lot, though!)

You've got a lot to offer this community, and I'm genuinely sorry that you've ended up stuck in this career rut you currently are in. But that doesn't give you justification to provide bad advice to others.

Nor would I. If you disagree with me, that's fine, but calling it bad advice just confuses me. Would you rather have him tie himself in knots trying to figure out why he failed to answer that idiotic question?

Hello pilots. I'm currently working on CFI and I actually applied and got interview for aviate program.

So until the day of the interview, I heard many examples and expectations from CFI's in my collage. Both someone who have applied, and who is in it. I tried to practice and prepared for it. But unfortunately I did not get in.

During the interview, I had a question saying "Tell me about the time when you made someone respected." At first, I really got confused. Like am I supposed to tell when "I" made someone respect "me"? I asked to the interviewers to make it sure. And they said yes.

I was still struggling and tried to pull out some words from my memories. I told about my experience as I have lived in all over the place in the world so I have an understanding to different people different culture and stuff. and that made someone respect me.

*I'm still 20 and dont have a career with aviation. So HR questions' answers would be mostly from my flight training and my non-aviation stories.

What was I supposed to talk about? What are they expecting from this question? I want to be more prepared for the interview next year so I would like some advices here please .

I’m not sure I 100% understand their question. I literally have no idea how to make someone “respected” because it’s an earned attribute not bequeathed upon someone.

Remember, you’re always free to ask “Could you repeat the question please?” And be sure to listen, without prejudice, of what they’re asking before you answer.

Examples don’t have to be aviation in nature and often the best answers aren’t. You’re not a seasoned aviator yet so there should be no expectation that you’d answer any question the way I would after almost three decades as a professional pilot.

But you don’t lose an opportunity over a single question and that’s probably not news you wanted to hear but maybe focus on more of a top-level examination of your performance. The biggest thing is usually listening carefully to a question and answering it truthfully with *specificity* and without using excessive amounts of jargon. Especially company-specific jargon from an operation the candidate doesn’t work for. (Ie: “I’d expand my team and call a red coat”. “Alaska had red coats? What do they do? Untangle logistical Gordian Knots? How does one ‘expand the team’?” Etc.

It’s not the end of the world by any measure and sometimes some of those programs sound like a detriment. Hello Contour Airlines, I’m talking to you! :)

These setbacks can sometimes become the seed of an opportunity - right this very minute, you have a new experience to talk about. :)

I agree with the general sentiment that that is a very strange question to ask - both grammatically and in general purpose...."making someone respected" isn't really a thing I'm aware of in any social dynamic. Maybe among Organized Crime? Don't know. It's bizarre and...unsurprising from Aviate.

Much of the whole "Tell me about a time" thing is as much about your process for accessing and presenting information as it is the answer itself.

You have lots of time - and avenues - to complete your certificates. Take this as a learning experience and use it for a "Tell me about a time you experienced some adversity toward your goals," full communicating that you sought to understand and answer for next time. It might sound trite, but they aren't expecting you - at this level of experience/stage - to answer as if you were Sully.

Congratulations - you have taken a step forward with inserting an interview into your Bag Of Experience.

My advice came down to: Get interview prep, don't take the stupid interview questions personally. I consider that good advice, frankly.

Five airline interviews (135, 121 regional, three 121 majors). 100% white, 100% male (except for two dedicated HR people). But ultimately it's the process, not the people, that I'm referring to.

That's the story, but ultimately, what does it actually tell you about the candidate? What does it tell you about their knowledge, skills, personality, attitude or even interpersonal skills that's remotely applicable to the job, the company, or anything else? Almost every horrible captain I've ever flown with has made it to a major at this point.

Yeah—there's a reason google is an absolute dumpster fire, and people in the rest of the industry laugh at people who are super proud of being "google engineers." (They do get paid a lot, though!)

Nor would I. If you disagree with me, that's fine, but calling it bad advice just confuses me. Would you rather have him tie himself in knots trying to figure out why he failed to answer that idiotic question?
I can appreciate your frustration in getting turned down (ask me how I know!), but don’t become that bitter person who regurgitates negativity and toxicity every chance they get. Flying with people like that becomes exhausting. You’re better than that, and by all accounts I’ve seen people enjoy flying with you.

I’ve spoken with a few Aviate Interviewers (and there may be some on JC so if so correct me if I’m wrong) and they’ve told me the Aviate interviews are tough as an interviewer. The candidates are largely inexperienced with very little adult life experience which makes it tough to develop questions that have the ability to produce insightful responses.

That said, having a virtual “rolodex” in your head of personal stories tied to key words can help. This is what quality prep companies can help with. Not so much changing your personality and coaching you to be someone you aren’t, but rather to help you recall, flesh out, and categorize your own personal experiences.

I’ve spoken with a few Aviate Interviewers (and there may be some on JC so if so correct me if I’m wrong) and they’ve told me the Aviate interviews are tough as an interviewer. The candidates are largely inexperienced with very little adult life experience which makes it tough to develop questions that have the ability to produce insightful responses.

That said, having a virtual “rolodex” in your head of personal stories tied to key words can help. This is what quality prep companies can help with. Not so much changing your personality and coaching you to be someone you aren’t, but rather to help you recall, flesh out, and categorize your own personal experiences.

And make notes and review them often. I recently had a virtual interview for an increase in responsibility at my company. Having my answers written down helped a lot, especially since my interview was at 2:30am local time.

Years ago, in a period of my life where interviews were a thing, I was party to an interview that had a dozen or so questions that were obviously created by some HR department with a sense of self-importance.

It was the day after Saint Patrick’s Day and I was hung over, perhaps still drunk. My feet were so swollen that I wore Sperry Topsiders with my suit, I couldn’t get my Johnston Murphy’s on.

While in the lobby waiting for the interview, I decided that my sweaty face and bloodshot eyes would not present well. Also, I feared throwing up during the interview. I was standing up to leave when my name was called.

No longer caring about the job, I removed my suit jacket and loosened my tie as the interview began. I hadn’t planned on this act of survival being received as an act of confidence.

The interviewers had this long list of dumb questions that only a dull-average HR wonk could create.

I remember my response to one question about handling an employee that needed to be disciplined for some infraction. In my answer, I suggested that the company probably had a policy that included a poorly conceived policy of progressive discipline and I would likely follow that policy. The response drew chuckles - I had an audience. My interviewers hated this crap.

Faced with the next dumb question, I shook my head and said, “next question”.

They laughed and wrapped up the interview. Surprisingly, I got the job .

Last edited:
Years ago, in a period of my life where interviews were a thing, I was party to an interview that had a dozen or so questions that were obviously created by some HR department with a sense of self-importance.

It was the day after Saint Patrick’s Day and I was hung over, perhaps still drunk. My feet were so swollen that I wore Sperry Topsiders with my suit, I couldn’t get my Johnston Murphy’s on.

While in the lobby waiting for the interview, I decided that my sweaty face and bloodshot eyes would not present well. Also, I feared throwing up during the interview. I was standing up to leave when my name was called.

No longer caring about the job, I removed my suit jacket and loosened my tie as the interview began. I hadn’t planned on this act of survival being received as an act of confidence.

The interviewers had this long list of dumb questions that only a dull-average HR wonk could create.

I remember my response to one question about handling an employee that needed to be disciplined for some infraction. In my answer, I suggested that the company probably had a policy that included a poorly conceived policy of progressive discipline and I would likely follow that policy. The response drew chuckles - I had an audience. My interviewers hated this crap.

Faced with the next dumb question, I shook my head and said, “next question”.

They laughed and wrapped up the interview. Surprisingly, I got the job .

Awesome story. I once wore white socks with my black suit cause I forgot my black socks and figured they couldn't see my socks unless I was sitting down and then they wouldn't be in a position to see them. Interviewer told me a year later she hired me cause I was such a dork I'd likely stick around 121 supplemental cargo flying a Convair longer. She was right. Company ended up going out of business and forced me to move on.

I've told this story here before, but I once took a thermodynamics 2 midterm with a pencil that ran out of lead, and transitioned to a pen (my only other available writing device). Engineers in here know what a nightmare taking such a test in pen is. I passed though, somehow

I've told this story here before, but I once took a thermodynamics 2 midterm with a pencil that ran out of lead, and transitioned to a pen (my only other available writing device). Engineers in here know what a nightmare taking such a test in pen is. I passed though, somehow

I never ran out of pencils at test time, just knowledge. I dropped Calc 2 three times before passing with a C. I was required to take Calc 3 but a sympathetic soul let me take a Discrete Math class instead.

I always copied my homework in pen. It was never equated to brilliance.

Anyone who has passed a dynamics class has my utmost respect.

Awesome story. I once wore white socks with my black suit cause I forgot my black socks and figured they couldn't see my socks unless I was sitting down and then they wouldn't be in a position to see them. Interviewer told me a year later she hired me cause I was such a dork I'd likely stick around 121 supplemental cargo flying a Convair longer. She was right. Company ended up going out of business and forced me to move on.

The same HR department that tortured folks with horrible interview questions failed in their primary functions, hiring qualified folks and understanding employment law.

We had a new hire that just wasn’t going to work out, he wasn’t qualified for the job.

It was an at-will state, we should have just terminated him, no recourse and he would have qualified for unemployment.

In an at-will state, a PIP or even telling an employee why they are being terminated can fuel a wrongful termination lawsuit. HR didn’t understand this and got themselves in a legal mess.

HR hit the guy with a PIP and later fired him for not meeting the goals defined in the PIP. Then, not understanding that poor performance was not a “for cause” firing, they denied his unemployment claim.

He cashed a $100k check after showing in court he satisfied the PIP requirements.

He also collected unemployment for a year.

Back