PSA Gouge

TexasFlyer

Living the Dream (well at least trying to)
I been receiving many PM's on my Interview experience and since I am quite busy I will post the gouge here so you know what to expect.

First. You can stay at the suggested hotel, or find your own. I stayed at the suggested hotel. I think there may be better deals out there with some research, but not being familiar with CLT I went the suggested route. Just if you get in after 9pm don't expect to find anything in the area for dinner other than pizza delivery to your room. So yep. That was dinner.

The overall feel was very laid back. Everyone is extremely nice and welcoming at US Airways training facility.

The written test is not something to study for. If you been flying, you should do okay. Some questions are ATP based and others are their own questions. A few are tricky, so read all four choices. Overall. AIt is very very basic. Questions are literally like, "what does ALSF-2 mean," and "what is the fuel reserve for a commercial carrier" and "what does MEA guarentee" and questions on reading a TAF and questions about reading a Jepp approach. So if anything, just brush up on basic knowledge and beome familiar with Jepp Approaches. Then you will do fine on the written. Oh. There was one decent planning question (use the 3:1 rule).

The sim is a simple desktop sim. They are just looking for basic attitude flying skills and instrument scan. If you can play flight simulator with a yoke and throttle you'll do fine. It is just take off, some vectors, a couple questions like what radial are you on and how to enter a hold, and then intercept the ILS and fly it to mins.

The panel interview was with HR and a pilot. Very basic HR questions like why PSA, why did you become a pilot, tell us about your most recent flying job, etc. I had no technical interview, although I was prepared for such in case I was asked about the BE 55 I been flying. The only semi-technical questions in the interview were these two questions. I was asked to brief the Jepp Approach that was given to me. I never briefed a Jepp Approach since I use NACO, but the flow was fine on how the Jepp chart was set up. Then I was asked what does MSA mean, so I answered. Then asked how much clearance above obstacles does it give you, and I answered. Then asked how much distance it provides and I went blank when on the Jepp chart it did not list it like on the ones I use. So I told them I don't know, but I will guess 20 since unlike the charts I use Jepp does not list the distance below the segment MSA circle. I answered wrong. Answer was 25nm. Bet I never for that now!

After my wrong answer I was then told to wait in the hallway. I was hopeful, but really did not have a feeling either way on what they would decide. Actually, was not real sure why I was outside in the hall other than I knew they wanted to chat about me without me listening.

After 10 minutes they called me in the room and offered me the job. That made my day. I cancelled my future Express Jet interview since PSA became my first choice for personal reasons and I accepted the first class date offered. Had a brief conversation to present one logistics issue I have in October, but that was resolved so I left happy. They seem to really care about their pilots in comparison to some other companies. So I think I made a good choice given other potential options I had on my plate.

Conclusion. Very relaxed interview. No pressure. Just be yourself. The written and sim seems pretty standardized. The panel interview I feel has some standard HR questions with the approach brief, and then a just go with the flow of the candidate element as it really did seem more of a general get to know you conversation over a hard core technical interview.

To prepare I suggest this.
1) Skim everything explained for the professional pilot (it is an iPad App now!).
2) Be familiar with Jepp Approaches.
3) And if you have enough time on your hands, review ATP questions. Skip all the problem and math based questions. Just review the Regs and Weather and General Knowledge parts of the ATP. I suggest the Dauntless ATP Written iPad App for this as I like that one the best in preparing for interviews.
4) Just get a good nights rest.

I wish you all the best of success.

Thanks for the insight.

I'm at 1100 TT and 350 XC. Still working on building hours.

I believe this is my first post? Anyways, thanks again.

Darren

Congrats, I did my first airline interview with PSA and was hired but went with another airline.

About 4 weeks I think. But I also started calling into their HR and leaving messages at week 3 which may have "forced the hand" a bit. I don't advise doing that unless you know what you are doing though (15 years in executive recruiting taught me how to work the way into almost any interview process).

I will add to this thread rather than start a new one. I was just interviewed and hired yesterday and I'll just hit the high points and some more specifics.

1. They point blank tell you that the goal is to offer you a job THAT DAY, and its up to you not to screw it up.

2. On the written test.
A. Study the approach [LDA 19 at DCA] you want to know your step downs, MSA circle size and what it gives you, procedure if going missed before the MAP, and calculate your PDP (planned descent point).

B. What would decrease the anti-ice holdover time. (Heated type II)

C. Know how to plan a descent. You need to lose 10,000 feet and your GS is 400kts. They want rate of descent and when to start the descent. (formulas are FL to lose = 10 multiply by 3 = 30 miles to descend. Rate of descent = 1/2 of the GS and then add a zero. 400/2 = 200 add a zero is 2000.) So your answer is 30miles at 2000 fpm.

D. You want to know about squall lines, turbulent cloud types, what to do in severe turbulence, what is dutch roll.

E. The rest of the questions were not notable and not at all difficult. You must score 80% or better to continue. (one guy did not make it past this)

3. The SIM is an Elite PCATD which is basically MS Flight Simulator with a yoke, peddles and a radio stack. It is set up as a MD-88. The SIM guy tells you that they are looking for basic attitude flying and scanning skills. (Translate: Always be correcting because the SIM is brutally touchy, they want to see you recognize and correct deviations. I repeat for emphasis, THEY WANT TO SEE YOU RECOGNIZE AND CORRECT DEVIATIONS. I must have said "correcting" about 30 times during the session.

A. Take off and climb at 20 degrees for the first 1000 feet, then accelerate to 250 and climb at 10 degrees up to 6000. Level and maintain 6000, once settled in, you will turn to headings at both a 30 degree bank and then a 45 degree bank. Then at some point he will freeze the SIM and ask you to identify where you are in relation to the VOR. You have a HSI and RMI, so its pretty simple. You will then be asked to copy hold instructions. Read those back and then he will ask how to enter the hold. Answer that and the SIM is re-positioned for you. You will be asked to brief the ILS 36R at CLT, then you will fly the ILS 36R at CLT. This you start on an intercept course and at 200 kts. You will slow to 180, then 160, then 140 as the SIM instructor makes configuration changes for you. Fly this down to some point that he is satisfied and the SIM freezes and you're done.

4. Panel Interview
HR Questions
Why PSA?
Why you?
What makes a professional pilot?
Most important aspect of a successful team?
How do you feel about SOP's?
Favorite superhero and why?

Chief Pilot Questions
Read this TAF
LDA 19 at DCA, where is the MAP? What does MSA give us? Anything else? How big is the circle?
Pick and aircraft to talk systems. I chose Twin Comanche and he was well versed on that one. We discussed the fuel system and some cross feed scenarios. Then we talked about the landing gear system and some emergency scenarios and how to handle those.
Next we talked about my lack of recency. He point blank told me. "Sell me on the idea that you can only fly 5 hours in the past 4 years but walk into 121 training and succeed." So I sold him.
We then discussed family, financial, reserve realities and what I did to prepare for those realities.
Asked why I left another carrier in 2007 and what I did to not make that a repeat.
Asked to step into the hallway as they talked about me.
5 minutes later I was invited back in and offered the job on the spot. I was given the option of August 5th or August 26th. I chose the later class because I need to tie up loose ends with my trucking business.

That's it, I hope it helps.

If you take anything away from this. THEY WANT TO HIRE YOU.

Great job bud! So happy you are back! When I see ya out dinner is on me! Thanks again for your help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1700/700 been out of flying for 4 years. I was contacted about a week after applying.
I asked what their hiring plans were, and was told 2 classes of 8, twice a month through the end of the year. They have their own SIM and they prefer smaller classes because its easier to work recurrent and upgrades in also that way.
There are rumors of growth but like anything is aviation, believe it when the planes are on property.

T
1700/700 been out of flying for 4 years. I was contacted about a week after applying.
I asked what their hiring plans were, and was told 2 classes of 8, twice a month through the end of the year. They have their own SIM and they prefer smaller classes because its easier to work recurrent and upgrades in also that way.
There are rumors of growth but like anything is aviation, believe it when the planes are on property.

Thanks! Awesome insight....

Back