Latest offer from FedEx management: We know it sucks here, we worked out an offer for you guys to go to PSA instead!

GypsyPilot

Mohawk Town
I’m not kidding unfortunately. This is from our VP of Flight Ops:

—————————————————
As I recently communicated, our Flight Operations are significantly overstaffed. Air cargo demand remains down, with decreased revenues and volumes similar to 2019 levels. Consequently, Bid Line Guarantees on most of our fleets are at or near minimums and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future. This low demand is not unique to FedEx but is an industry-wide issue impacting the major cargo carriers. For example, just last week, UPS announced it was revising its annual outlook downward because of the slowing global economy.

As you may have noticed, the passenger industry is not facing the same issues, and those carriers continue to hire pilots at a pace we haven’t seen in recent history with no apparent end in sight.

With that in mind, I want to make you aware of an opportunity that is intended to address the booming demand for passenger carrier pilots and that could help with our overstaffing at the same time. For years, we have had a very good relationship with American Airlines, and they have a healthy respect for the quality of our crew force. In light of their need for additional crew members, they approached us with a unique opportunity for FedEx pilots to be hired via an expedited interview process directly into the Captain seat at their wholly-owned subsidiary, PSA Airlines. The program is available through December 1 and highlights include:

• A $250,000 signing bonus
  • Years of Service credit for Part 121 flying
  • Guaranteed flow to American Airlines

While I understand that this is not something that will appeal to every pilot, for those of you who are frustrated with current flight hours, career progression, or have just been on the fence about available options, you may consider this unique opportunity enough of an incentive to make a move. Frankly, I was pessimistic about how attractive the opportunity might be when first approached, but the details are compelling.

More information can be found here: https://psaairlines.com/fedex-pilots.

I have always been passionate about our pilot hiring process and the selection of crew members for the future of FedEx. I know we have done that well. But sometimes career and family priorities change, and I understand that too. Just the other day, I received an email from a two-year legacy pilot (father flew here) who has made the difficult choice to leave FedEx for a passenger carrier. It was painful to read, but he believes he is making the best decision for his family situation, and I support him wholeheartedly.

A slowing economy, large customer contract negotiations, and slowing pilot retirements with an already overmanned crew force have forced me to accept the fact that I might be seeing more folks that I once personally called to offer a position at FedEx accept offers elsewhere. I have no doubt that FedEx will continue to navigate the turbulent market conditions that are inherent in this business and will remain a great place to work for pilots and others in the long term. That said, I certainly understand if some of you decide that your particular circumstances are leading you to pursue opportunities somewhere else.

This is not an entirely unfortunate option.

Does a furlough from FedEx serve the crews better financially?

Interesting that they didn’t make a program like this with their feeder airlines such as Empire with ATR flying, perhaps as a bullpen to getting back to the FedEx mainline. Almost like a cargo version of Jets4Jobs…..just with turboprops…or even add jets.

I guess wouldn’t be as lucrative.

I’m so tempted to try to go back to United. But it would be just my luck to quit and then have a “lost decade” event happen. I think I’m stuck here with golden handcuffs, financially and seniority wise.

I’m so tempted to try to go back to United. But it would be just my luck to quit and then have a “lost decade” event happen. I think I’m stuck here with golden handcuffs, financially and seniority wise.
Orediggers gotta stick together, it’s probably not a good fit for ya but I’d be happy to help on the Air Line side

Last edited:
I’m not kidding unfortunately. This is from our VP of Flight Ops:

—————————————————
As I recently communicated, our Flight Operations are significantly overstaffed. Air cargo demand remains down, with decreased revenues and volumes similar to 2019 levels. Consequently, Bid Line Guarantees on most of our fleets are at or near minimums and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future. This low demand is not unique to FedEx but is an industry-wide issue impacting the major cargo carriers. For example, just last week, UPS announced it was revising its annual outlook downward because of the slowing global economy.

As you may have noticed, the passenger industry is not facing the same issues, and those carriers continue to hire pilots at a pace we haven’t seen in recent history with no apparent end in sight.

With that in mind, I want to make you aware of an opportunity that is intended to address the booming demand for passenger carrier pilots and that could help with our overstaffing at the same time. For years, we have had a very good relationship with American Airlines, and they have a healthy respect for the quality of our crew force. In light of their need for additional crew members, they approached us with a unique opportunity for FedEx pilots to be hired via an expedited interview process directly into the Captain seat at their wholly-owned subsidiary, PSA Airlines. The program is available through December 1 and highlights include:

• A $250,000 signing bonus
  • Years of Service credit for Part 121 flying
  • Guaranteed flow to American Airlines

While I understand that this is not something that will appeal to every pilot, for those of you who are frustrated with current flight hours, career progression, or have just been on the fence about available options, you may consider this unique opportunity enough of an incentive to make a move. Frankly, I was pessimistic about how attractive the opportunity might be when first approached, but the details are compelling.

More information can be found here: https://psaairlines.com/fedex-pilots.

I have always been passionate about our pilot hiring process and the selection of crew members for the future of FedEx. I know we have done that well. But sometimes career and family priorities change, and I understand that too. Just the other day, I received an email from a two-year legacy pilot (father flew here) who has made the difficult choice to leave FedEx for a passenger carrier. It was painful to read, but he believes he is making the best decision for his family situation, and I support him wholeheartedly.

A slowing economy, large customer contract negotiations, and slowing pilot retirements with an already overmanned crew force have forced me to accept the fact that I might be seeing more folks that I once personally called to offer a position at FedEx accept offers elsewhere. I have no doubt that FedEx will continue to navigate the turbulent market conditions that are inherent in this business and will remain a great place to work for pilots and others in the long term. That said, I certainly understand if some of you decide that your particular circumstances are leading you to pursue opportunities somewhere else.
What in the deuce?!

I hear that there are some openings in the FedEx corporate flight department.

What shocks me is that they have one of the most devoted pilot groups I've ever heard of, almost like a collegiate sports team and then the VP of Ops drops THAT grenade?!

That is some dissociative disorder-level social blindness.

I don't even work there and I'm both embarrassed and angry.

If any of you guys have had enough, hit me up, I'm more than happy to help if I can.

(I need to check my blood pressure because this REALLY pissed me off)

They have such a great relationship with American, that American was only willing to offer their pilots a job at a regional instead of direct to mainline?

What a joke. If I was a fedex pilot, that alone would prevent me from ever setting foot on an AA jet again as a paying passenger.

They have such a great relationship with American, that American was only willing to offer their pilots a job at a regional instead of direct to mainline?

What a joke. If I was a fedex pilot, that alone would prevent me from ever setting foot on an AA jet again as a paying passenger.
This is not an AA problem.

Back