Mechs: you rock

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I’ve been doing my first annual on my experimental (didn’t build it so I don’t have the repairman cert for it) under the supervision of an A&P. (He has IA but it’s not required for this.)

I’m reasonably handy and mechanically-minded, but I’ve learned a ridonkulous amount of stuff under the tutelage of the mech. Wish I’d built my airplane but this has arguably been the next best thing. I’m grateful that my local shop is a huge believer in owner involvement with maintenance. My skills have leveled up at least one level here.

It takes a hell of a lot of time and knowledge to earn an A&P and I’m kind of shocked that they don’t make more money than they do at the GA level.

I couldn’t do it every day; I’d go nuts. But as an owner/enthusiast I’ve got mad respect for the things these guys know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some airplanes are just naturally good and never seem to break, others are like petulant children that can't seem to do anything without complaining. Over the years I've found that a lot of that has to do with the operator. But I guess it all depends on the airplane.

It also helps that old man Dick designed a nice airplane that is maintenance friendly.

Show us your safety wire skills. That's the true test of a good technician.

Heh.

I’ve gotten decent at wiring my oil filter properly, but I still take a couple tries to get it right when I’m wiring one drilled bolt to another. I get the direction wrong at least once every time.

Wiring my prop bolts (CS prop) the first time was an adventure.

It also helps that old man Dick designed a nice airplane that is maintenance friendly.

Show us your safety wire skills. That's the true test of a good technician.
I’ve got scars all over my forearms from safety wire installed by lazy mechanics.

I’ve got scars all over my forearms from safety wire installed by lazy mechanics.

There was a mechanic in my area that had some form of blood oriented medical condition, not sure it is was anemia or what, but he used to critique other people’s safety wire and tell you how much a pint of his blood costs so don’t leave any loose uncurled tails.

There was a mechanic in my area that had some form of blood oriented medical condition, not sure it is was anemia or what, but he used to critique other people’s safety wire and tell you how much a pint of his blood costs so don’t leave any loose uncurled tails.
I had a crew chief that would call them meathooks and cut them regardless of who'd safetied it and it would have to be resafetied. My wire twisting skills are pretty solid as a result.

Heh.

I’ve gotten decent at wiring my oil filter properly, but I still take a couple tries to get it right when I’m wiring one drilled bolt to another. I get the direction wrong at least once every time.

Wiring my prop bolts (CS prop) the first time was an adventure.

Prop bolt safeties are window dressing. With the forces involved there, if the safety is the only thing holding the bolt tight, you’re going to have cascading overstress failures in short order. But, we keep safetying them so…

Back