Some people are just • control freaks.

My aunt lived in a retirement community kinda place like that. Their rule was that you couldn't keep your garage door open for an extended period of time if you weren't actively using your garage and my aunt was in charge of policing the street and levying fines for violators. Pretty ridiculous.

Most HOA's have that one rule that you just shake your head about. I was "ticketed" once for parking a brand new truck in the driveway in FL. The HOA told us that "it's to prevent work trucks from parking in driveways." Meanwhile, one house to the left had a plumbing van in the driveway (buy it's not a truck), and to the right was a jacked up Excursion (still not a truck).

I have yet to see an HOA that was worth a damn. Most people who enforce the rules revel in their power.

"RESPEC MAH AUTHOR-RAH-TAI!"

Good lord, I'm so glad we chose not to live in an HOA. Our next door neighbor has a storage unit in their driveway, and their car was parked in the street for almost a year. Our neighbor two houses down parks his work truck in his driveway. Three houses down parks their RV in their driveway. A neighbor behind us parks their car in their yard. I work(ed) on my car in my driveway. The tree in my front has been dead for years. Does this stuff really piss people off that bad?

Oh, and our house value has gone up probably 30% in the last three years.

HOAs can be good, can be terrible, and everything in between. Just depends on the particular neighborhood.

Gee, somewhere safe for kids to gather and play, get some exercise, be out in the sunshine, socialize with other kids, build some coordination skills, bring their dogs, learn to work on their bikes, get some dirt on them and have some fun. Much like we all did when I was a kid. Naaaaahhhh we can't have none of that these days.

Naw man, childhood obesity and video games are waaaayyyy cooler than all of that stuff. :)

HOAs can be good, can be terrible, and everything in between. Just depends on the who is in charge.

FIFY

If you have a HOA board that is resonable and comunicates well with the residents, it can be a good thing. If the HOA leadership is on a power trip and enforces the letter of the law, rather than the spirit, then it can be a nightmare.

FIFY

If you have a HOA board that is resonable and comunicates well with the residents, it can be a good thing. If the HOA leadership is on a power trip and enforces the letter of the law, rather than the spirit, then it can be a nightmare.

Indeed.

I've lived in two that were managed/policed by a property management company instead of the residents and they were fine.

Agree on the correction made. Both sentiments are very true. HOA leadership/members do make or break the organization. The two houses I have, one HOA is reasonable at the TUS location, the other one over in San Tan Valley is much more nitpicky. Luckily have the latter one up for sale.

Good lord, I'm so glad we chose not to live in an HOA. Our next door neighbor has a storage unit in their driveway, and their car was parked in the street for almost a year. Our neighbor two houses down parks his work truck in his driveway. Three houses down parks their RV in their driveway. A neighbor behind us parks their car in their yard. I work(ed) on my car in my driveway. The tree in my front has been dead for years. Does this stuff really piss people off that bad?.

YES! Without an HOA, most American neighborhoods look like crap. Zero pride.

After twenty-two years of trying to convince our HOA, today we finally got rid of the cheap looking individual mailboxes.

Good lord, I'm so glad we chose not to live in an HOA. Our next door neighbor has a storage unit in their driveway, and their car was parked in the street for almost a year. Our neighbor two houses down parks his work truck in his driveway. Three houses down parks their RV in their driveway. A neighbor behind us parks their car in their yard. I work(ed) on my car in my driveway. The tree in my front has been dead for years. Does this stuff really piss people off that bad?

Oh, and our house value has gone up probably 30% in the last three years.
I have a dead tree out in my front yard too. I should probably cut it down before I put my house on the market this Spring/Summer. It will improve curb appeal, if nothing else.
I would think that the oppressive HOA regulations would also drive property values down.
It's a moot point for me I guess,because I don't ever want to live in a neighborhood.
I'm hoping to find a place on a lake or river I can put a floatplane on.

After twenty-two years of trying to convince our HOA, today we finally got rid of the cheap looking individual mailboxes.

Wow ...

No HOA around here, thank God.

Just people minding their own business, bunch of deer, rabbits, squirrel, and the coyotes, fox, and bobcat who eat them. Occasional black bear, too, wanders through to check out the bird feeders and trash can.

Couldn't ask for better neighbors. Every one of them has a maibox, too (we cut our lawns, though).

To each their own.

Nope, none around here in suburbia and everyone takes care of their properties. 22 years of individual mailboxes grinding your gears? No...no, I have better things to worry about.

The appearance of a neighborhood imo seems to be far more connected to the mean annual income than an HOA.

Back