Career thoughts

Would you

• Stay in the charter, grow and upgrade there

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Go be a yellow bus driver, better recession survivability and it's a proper size plane

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Get on with a W/O with a flow

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • CRJ200 make the real pilots. So does the permanently sucky weather and 0.7 long taxi in ORD

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

BigZ

I am very happily employed at a charter shop, not looking to drop everything and jump the boat, this is more of a "what would you do" kind of a discussion since I'm a INTJ and constantly shuffle possibilities in my head, and discussions like this might surface something I didn't think about.
So, here's the starting data
36 1/2 yo, 1330tt. Of that 330ish jet SIC. Need to get a degree since my foreign college doesn't count for shizzle.
Strong spiritual attachment to Florida where I've lived for a while, presently work and overall enjoy the weather and such. Wife likes FL, but not quite as much.
Family in Chicago, where wife has a great career at UAL HQ, she enjoys it, that sort of thing tends to pay better than the FO flying does. I very much dislike living up there (did it for 12 years, yuck), wife disliked it too, but to a lesser extent.

For the purposes of this discussion let's assume the end goal as retiring a widebody CA in 28 1/2 years.

Present shop - pays great (as compared to other FO jobs of similar experience level. Or even to Flex, same equipment. Might be a hair under NJ), great team, with the guy ahead of me going into upgrade next week I'll be the most senior FO in the company, not that it directly affects anything at this time. No official word on it yet, but I doubt it I'll see an upgrade before 2500 or so hours. Street CA ad was for 3k. As of right now, that's all light jet. There's one midsize fbw minibus on property, so right seat in that is a very maybe maybe. I'd guesstimate 500-600 hours of flight time per year. Maybe a bit less when the dust settles and we're fully staffed.

Two or three options outside of the current job that I was wondering about

Spirit - granted, hiring at 2k hrs might not be there a year from now (best case of me getting there with 1000 jet sic) if the TA is reached, but on the bright side the paycheck matches what the airplane says on it and I believe it might be a better place to be stuck in should the economy go tango uniform. FLL and ORD bases help too. Training would be a b***h with no prior 121, but I'm a tough cookie. Upgrade of 6+ years for current hire with no additional orders sucks though. All the chances to be hunting for a legacy job when a bunch of regional guys with tpic will be doing the same.

Envoy - again, MIA and ORD bases help, so does the flow. Paycut would be even more painful though over the first few years. Things are peachy now, but I've been around long enough to remember 2008 and after.

Air Whiskey. Woohoo 19yo CRJ200 and UAL CPP. Woohoo Chicago. But as a current airman trainee I can more or less just waltz in there. Great company, but not sure what the future holds for them. Thought of being stuck there for 8 years does not appeal much.

So, a poll. Opinions are valued too
Might be useful further down the road for other guy's thinking about mainline via corporate and or ulcc etc.

If you think you might even possibly want to do Spirit it’s pretty presumptive to turn it over in your head unless you actually have an offer.

I'd have a shot at it now if I met the mins. Year from now - who knows. With a new contract the competitive mins will most likely go way up.

Envoy has a Miami base? @learhawkerbe400 ?

Small 145 base since September. Supposedly very obtainable on the FO side

Low total time and no degree hurts you the most. Flying corporate doesn’t help to build time I’m sure. Get your degree and ask yourself what you want to do for the next 29 years.

Low total time and no degree hurts you the most. Flying corporate doesn’t help to build time I’m sure. Get your degree and ask yourself what you want to do for the next 29 years.

Degree is work in progress, not arrogant to the point of thinking I can pull a legacy off without one.
Flight time for now in corporate isn't bad, average 50+ a month, last month was 70+. Compared to the 150 hrs a year in the previous gigs that's an improvement.

I know ORD works, it just amazes me how more often then not it takes longer to taxi to a runway than it does to fly to Indy

Well if you’re building time like that and you’re happy with the company- I wouldn’t move anywhere.

Well if you’re building time like that and you’re happy with the company- I wouldn’t move anywhere.

That's more or less my thinking
Just wanted to see if there's some tribal knowledge on what I might be missing out on bypassing a regional

That's more or less my thinking
Just wanted to see if there's some tribal knowledge on what I might be missing out on bypassing a regional

Very few people bypass the regionals. Many have tried, almost all have failed. Those who don't fail end up taking longer to reach their goal than those who just went to a regional to start with.

I'm one of these people, and going to Ameriflight before ExpressJet resulted in me being furloughed for 2.5 years, and spending a total of 10 years at the regionals.

If you want to work for a mainline carrier, go to a regional.

The 200 really isn't that big of a deal. People are so dramatic about that airplane. In the reality the biggest complaint is the cabin temp in the summer. I like the 7/900 overnights at my base, so I use to bid specific for that reason. After I realize you can have a better QOL not caring about equipment, I stopped being so picky. To each their own though.

Anyways, I'd do a flow if you don't plan on going back to school. If you can go straight to Spirit I'm sure it's a better QOL than a regional. Not sure how plausible that scenario is.

I'd start weighing your options based on your life, instead of equipment. Just my opinion on what I'd do. 200 isn't the most attractive airplane over the E175 for me, but my QOL is much better than if I went for the nicer airplane. Food for thought.

Envoy has waaaay better pay than Spirit for the first few years, offers a FL base, and with a true flow no need to really worry about a four year degree.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably apply for Envoy and Spirit and go to Spirit if they ever call. Also jetBlue has a large FL presence.

Because of your age you probably won't be able to hold widebody CA at a legacy before you retire unless you got on property in the next year or two, so you might want to scratch that one off your list.

I don't know what INTJ is, are you not happy with your current career path?

Envoy has waaaay better pay than Spirit for the first few years, offers a FL base, and with a true flow no need to really worry about a four year degree.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably apply for Envoy and Spirit and go to Spirit if they ever call. Also jetBlue has a large FL presence.

Because of your age you probably won't be able to hold widebody CA at a legacy before you retire unless you got on property in the next year or two, so you might want to scratch that one off your list.

Well screw that, I demand a tray table and a wide body! :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTJ

We're the weird kind of peoples living among y'all.

I’d agree w the above. If you are really shooting for the goal of being a major airline pilot, I’d go to envoy. The ORD connection, the no degree thing, and your wide body goals lead me to that answer. If you think you could be satisfied with a career with a national:lcc airline like spirit or JetBlue that may be more rewarding than flying for a regional.

As much as I respect @wheelsup comments most of the time, you're 36 dude. No one knows what the next ten years has in store for the majors. You have almost 30 years before retirement, I think your chances of being a WB CA are better than that..

Back