Oh RJ N00b (a PSA rant)

I want to know who those idiots are that agreed to go sit in the GFS with their uniforms on! I would've referred them to pro stans!
Probably some CFI’s from the numerous flight schools in FL that require such idiocy.

man, it would be blazing hot. Everyone else in a GA plane would be in shorts and a t-shirt. Then out of the FBO, comes a 4-striper, and a 0 or 1 striper in full pilot gear headed for a Cherokee or Seminole. LOL!

While I would advise to seek more clarification, it does not say "minimum." That is what I mean by the lack of gotcha language and asterisks.

This is what the law calls “marketing puffery,” and it generally isn’t actionable. Unless there’s language that’s incredibly clear, such as “we guarantee you’ll be at United in no more than 24 months,“ then they‘re likely safe.

This is what the law calls “marketing puffery,” and it generally isn’t actionable. Unless there’s language that’s incredibly clear, such as “we guarantee you’ll be at United in no more than 24 months,“ then they‘re likely safe.
Someone has read, and understood, the UCC.

Apparently PSA stopped hiring fresh FOs till next summer. Literally shooting themselves in the foot.
Just about every regional out there right now has the same problem. Wayyyy more FOs than CAs. Hiring more FOs right now just chokes up the training department, then those new FOs can't fly very much because there aren't enough CAs. So those FOs take longer to reach 1000 SIC so they can upgrade, or they get a few hundred hours and are hireable at a higher airline that is also getting kinda desperate for pilots. Most FOs have no intention of waiting to flow in this environment.

Right now PSA (like any other regional that is currently imbalanced), if they are still hiring FOs, then they are spending all that money training those FOs who hardly ever fly in their first year. Many of those FOs are getting frustrated (their words) from the lack of flight time, and a lot of them leave for another airline. So as it is happening now, PSA or amy other regional is just wasting a bunch of money giving each surplus FO a couple hundred hours of 121 time building to future LCC FOs over that first year or so until they leave. And paying them a full 75 hour min guarantee each month while each reserve FO flies 20 hours or less a month. The company is not getting enough flying out of the extra FOs versus the cost of having so many in surplus.

Given the attrition and resulting CA/FO imbalance at the regional level (any regional right now), plotting a flow date for a given person is pretty pointless if it's more than about a year out. Anyone past a year, from what I saw, most are on the "don't wait for flow, try to go to an AA competitor" plan.

The attrition and CA/FO imbalance is going to lead to more massive changes in the regional industry sooner than later. What will that look like? I don't know, but the massive pay thing can only go so far because it gets to a ridiculous $ amount if there is a next round of raises. I expect a bankruptcy or two and some version of mergers or the mythical staple sort of solution to be highly likely. AA in particular needs the WO planes as well as the pilots. They can't just get a suitable number of A320s and 737s fast enough from maxed out production lines if the CRJs and E175s get parked too fast for lack of regional CAs.

The flying will be brought in house more and more by the legacies. The trip degradation for domestic fleets will get worse. Fatiguing rotations will increase. Seniority lists will increase to new records, only to be offset by airlines redlining the operation more and more due to the lack of pilots. People will complain about trips, but ultimately the regionals will shrink dramatically to a reasonable range. Which is what everyone wants.

At this point the only way to avoid the suck of what is coming for domestic flying is jumping to a widebody to avoid this total • show and crap trips for years to come. I don’t see how things get any better anytime soon with this massive problem with staffing and retirements are all going to ramp up more when these early our numbers from covid wear off again.

Or this will continue with great money making opportunities, upgrade opportunities and significant time to bolster up your bank account to dip out of the industry early when Asian carriers (yes, looking at you Cathay) attempt to push ICAO into 1-man augmented ops…

Just about every regional out there right now has the same problem. Wayyyy more FOs than CAs. Hiring more FOs right now just chokes up the training department, then those new FOs can't fly very much because there aren't enough CAs. So those FOs take longer to reach 1000 SIC so they can upgrade, or they get a few hundred hours and are hireable at a higher airline that is also getting kinda desperate for pilots. Most FOs have no intention of waiting to flow in this environment.

Right now PSA (like any other regional that is currently imbalanced), if they are still hiring FOs, then they are spending all that money training those FOs who hardly ever fly in their first year. Many of those FOs are getting frustrated (their words) from the lack of flight time, and a lot of them leave for another airline. So as it is happening now, PSA or amy other regional is just wasting a bunch of money giving each surplus FO a couple hundred hours of 121 time building to future LCC FOs over that first year or so until they leave. And paying them a full 75 hour min guarantee each month while each reserve FO flies 20 hours or less a month. The company is not getting enough flying out of the extra FOs versus the cost of having so many in surplus.

Given the attrition and resulting CA/FO imbalance at the regional level (any regional right now), plotting a flow date for a given person is pretty pointless if it's more than about a year out. Anyone past a year, from what I saw, most are on the "don't wait for flow, try to go to an AA competitor" plan.

The attrition and CA/FO imbalance is going to lead to more massive changes in the regional industry sooner than later. What will that look like? I don't know, but the massive pay thing can only go so far because it gets to a ridiculous $ amount if there is a next round of raises. I expect a bankruptcy or two and some version of mergers or the mythical staple sort of solution to be highly likely. AA in particular needs the WO planes as well as the pilots. They can't just get a suitable number of A320s and 737s fast enough from maxed out production lines if the CRJs and E175s get parked too fast for lack of regional CAs.
I have seen this play out before. PSA focused on CAs and high time FOs in the past. They started hiring new FOs and had class sizes of 2 people at most for months. I certainly can understand a reduction of new FOs but a full stop has never worked well for them.

Lots of CJOs will be heading to other airlines as a result. They aren't going to stick around for 6 months for a regional when there are others just like them.

I have seen this play out before. PSA focused on CAs and high time FOs in the past. They started hiring new FOs and had class sizes of 2 people at most for months. I certainly can understand a reduction of new FOs but a full stop has never worked well for them.

Lots of CJOs will be heading to other airlines as a result. They aren't going to stick around for 6 months for a regional when there are others just like them.
I've also heard the VP said they weren't completely stopping FO hiring, just most. Cadets will still be coming when it is their time during this "pause".

Hey @derg he wants a job at Delta. Will you hire him please…

04/01/2023:

No further updates or posts to this website will be made, as I have completed training at my ULCC, flying the A320. My final comments, put very briefly, will be that the training at my new regional and my current ULCC was again, like comparing a pile of horse sheit, and a pile of gold. My goal now is to join a legacy carrier such as Delta. I will leave this website up to serve as a warning for those wishing to join PSA Airlines. It will stay up indefinitely, until PSA fixes and completely revamps their training department, syllabus, and footprint, and boots those from the department who have no reason being there. I had absolutely no way of voicing my concerns to the department at all, so I had to rely on this website to have a voice. Deuces ✌️

Sounds like his interviews went about as expected.

12/28/2022:

After obtaining about 265 hours of turbine time in the E175, I am trying to move on from my regional. I’ve interviewed in numerous places and hit roadblocks here and there. It seems that when I tell them the 1-2 things that ended the check-ride with our man [name redacted], they don’t believe me, simply because of how minor and stupid the reasons are. They just cannot believe it, even I cannot believe it. This is a common theme among failures at PSA. Failing for minuscule things, things that you would’ve otherwise known on day 1 of IOE or been a debriefing item. This is why I urge everyone to seek out another airline with a better training department as stated above. The FIRST thing you should be looking for in a regional is the training department, then the base, then the pay and contract. Learn from my mistake, because I do not want anyone to go through what I did. If you want an American Airlines wholly owned, seek Piedmont or Envoy.

I am very happy at my regional airline, and do not mind building a few hundred more turbine time here before applying again to the airlines, just to prove to everyone that failures at PSA are mostly BS. I will keep you guys updated on my endeavors! I hope to apply again in a few more months. And for all those who also left PSA, do not give up, there is hope! Some words of wisdom I always told myself throughout this ordeal, “You did NOT fail, the training department failed YOU”.

Hey @derg he wants a job at Delta. Will you hire him please…

04/01/2023:

No further updates or posts to this website will be made, as I have completed training at my ULCC, flying the A320. My final comments, put very briefly, will be that the training at my new regional and my current ULCC was again, like comparing a pile of horse sheit, and a pile of gold. My goal now is to join a legacy carrier such as Delta. I will leave this website up to serve as a warning for those wishing to join PSA Airlines. It will stay up indefinitely, until PSA fixes and completely revamps their training department, syllabus, and footprint, and boots those from the department who have no reason being there. I had absolutely no way of voicing my concerns to the department at all, so I had to rely on this website to have a voice. Deuces ✌️
Like I remember what the heck I was talking about six months ago! LOL.

The booking blotter photo on that website kind of looks like Rich Wyatt, a retired LEO that had a TV show about his store and gunsmith services.

richard.wyatt.mug.shot.jpg

Hi! It’s american eagle calling, my name is 2012, and I’m wanting to let you know to watch out for the A B C gang on the E145! You should know how many lights come on in the cabin if the emergency lights switch is placed in the ON position. Do you have a few minutes to talk?
Back when verbatim meant verbatim.

Back