Some people are just • control freaks.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
I like fixing old cars and am planning on building an airplane in my garage, so maybe I'm a little biased, but these "neighbors" overstepped their boundary. I would file criminal charges and sue to have the aircraft assembled/repaired with a new annual. (See article below)

Town full of jackasses dismantle man's plane in his driveway.

You may recall the story of one Long Island man’s struggle to keep his small plane in his driveway. In that story, I was very pro-guy-with-plane, and I still am. Sadly, though, the town of Oceanside, Long Island, ended up being quite anti-guy-with-plane, and recently his plane was dismantled and removed.

NBC4 tells the story of Harold Guretzky, 70, a man with a tidy little airplane named Spirit of Oceanside. Lacking money to rent a hangar, he kept it in his driveway. The airplane blocked no traffic and was completely within the boundaries of his property.

After some of his neighbors started to complain, he began to recieve summonses to remove the plane - he got up to 17, but he maintained the plane was not an issue. Guretzky analogized the airplane in his driveway to a boat, which was considered just fine in the neighborhood, and I think it’s an entirely valid comparison.

One neighbor, Vincent Labruzzi, referencing the boat analogy, said:

“There’s just no reason for it to be here. It’s not a boat you can put in the water. You can’t go down the street and take off, so what’s the point?”

This drives me bats**t. Vince, in case you haven’t checked, the street isn’t water. You can’t just take a boat out to the street and take off, either. I mean, technically, you can take a small plane onto the street and take off, something you sure as hell can’t do with a boat.

And, there is a reason for the plane to be there: the man owns it. It’s his plane. That’s his driveway. End of story.

Another neighbor had this to say:

“It’s a relief to the entire area. It’s very dangerous.”

What? Dangerous? The • are you talking about, neighbor? How is the plane any more dangerous than any other stationary thing parked in someone’s driveway? It’s not like the plane was just left running, its propeller gleefully decapitating toddlers. It was just sitting there on his property.

I suppose I should also note that Guretzky did threaten anyone who tried to take apart or move his plane with a crossbow. I mean, he was out of the country at the time, and no crossbow has that long a range, so I’m not sure how serious a threat it was, but it did come up.

According to NBC4, he said:

“I’m glad I’m not there. If I would be there — I have a crossbow — anybody who comes near that airplane, I’d shoot right through their [expletive] chest.”

Now, sure, crossbow threats don’t help anyone, but even with that in mind, I’m still on Guretzky’s side here. Before the comments start coming in, yes, I am a homeowner. My house is not, shockingly, a filthy •hole in the burned-out remains of a battery factory. It’s in a nice little neighborhood. I understand property values and not making your neighborhood look like a trash heap and being respectful and all that. I promise.

That said, I have no • idea how or why anyone would have such an issue with an airplane in a driveway. Why does something somewhat unexpected have to translate to “eyesore?” Why can’t it be novel, and interesting? An airplane in a driveway I think gives a neighborhood character, distinction, and makes it exciting.

I would be delighted if my next door neighbors, who are a married couple that both are helicopter pilots, decided to park a chopper in their yard. My kid would be thrilled, I’d love looking out the window and seeing that – what’s the problem?

Clearly, many people, including enough citizens of Oceanside, Long Island, disagree with me. But I’m going to stick to my guns (or maybe crossbow) and say this is idiotic. The plane wasn’t some rusty derelict, and if you think it’s an eyesore, I think the ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

The fact that the town could be forced into forcibly dismantling a guy’s private property (and sending him the bill for the work) just because some people don’t like it, for reasons that are subjective at best, is absurd. This is the sort of thing that, as gearheads, we all need to oppose.

It’s a plane, but it could have been an unusual car, or a car trailer, or something else. We’ve seen this happen in those other contexts already. People with stunted, limited ideas about aesthetics shouldn’t have the right to dictate to others what may or may not be on their property, provided it’s causing no one harm.

There’s gated communities with HOAs and all kinds of restrictions these people can move into, and let their eyes atrophy from a monotonous onslaught of beige nothingness, never seeing anything unexpected until they day they die, unremarkably, commonly, and without any good stories to tell.

• ‘em all. The guy should have been able to keep his plane. The town was out of line to break apart the plane, and everyone who complained to the city was wrong, too. They have every right to not like it, and they can complain all they like to one another. But unless they want to buy Guretzky’s house, that’s all they can do.

I don’t condone crossbow threats, but I feel like I understand the desire.

The town would have to have a legal basis for citing Harold for keeping his plane in the driveway. Should that make him a scofflaw, too bad on him, whether you think the ordinance is silly. The ordinance would also have to enable the town to correct the violation and bill the property owner. The Court of Popular Opinion isn't the venue here. If there is no legal justification, Harold will soon own the Town of Oceanside.

My town has a no-boats-in-front ordinance - the boat and trailer can be parked on the side or rear of the property, but no part of the boat, even the trailer tongue, can stick out beyond the front line of the house or garage, etc. Also applies to RVs, camper & utility trailers, etc. Too bad, but it's the law. If we don't like it, we can try to get it changed. Many have poured concrete pads to support the toys.

Wondering if it's a deed-restricted community. Given that boats are allowed, perhaps not.

One of the places in FL where my Dad lived, you couldn't park a pick up truck - yes, a light S-10 pickup - in your driveway. Had to be garaged.

This is one of the few reason that I do not miss living there. People like this. I lived in a smaller town next to this for many years. The sense of entitlement is HUGE. It's very much a upper middle class "I'll do what I want" area. So arrogant.

Last edited:
Barring any zoning, HOA, or deed restrictions I can't see this being an issue. I know of several people that trailer their airplane home and park it in their driveway. There's one here in Point that everyone thinks must have crashed, lol. If there was no legal basis for what the city did I hope Harold files a lawsuit and wins big, let the neighbors complain when their tax money goes to the settlement.

When I read the title of this thread I thought the OP was writing about the lead pilot at my base. ;)

We can't have overnight parking on the street, boats in the front yard, cars on blocks or visible garbage cans when it's not trash day.

But I knew this when I purchased the some and signed my copy of the CCR's.

Dang. As an Air Force brat, my childhood was in base housing. I forgot how much living in a neighborhood sucks. We had all those restrictions too, plus a few more like the lawn had to be cut below a certain height, sidewalks had to be edged, and there were weekly or monthly yard inspections.
I'm glad I live out in the country with no neighbors and can do whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want, for as long as I want to. In the summer I work on my cars in the driveway.
A couple of years ago, I was in the process of installing a Corvette engine in my hot rod when I got deployed. I came home a year later and it was still in the driveway, up on jackstands, everything just how I left it, like a time capsule.
I don't think I could live in a city or a neighborhood. I'd always be getting angry about stupid rules. Haha.
On that note, I think I'm going to go outside now, start a campfire, shoot my guns, then cook some lunch on my fire after it dies down to hot coals. I love campfire cooking!
I've been noticing a few rabbits running around again, maybe I'll go hunting too. Those pests are no good to my wife's veggie garden.

Last edited:
I'm kind of torn on this one. Being an airplane guy, I'd see no problem with having an airplane in the driveway.

However if you think about and compare it to other recreational activities it is a different situation. I'm not much of a motorhome or swamp buggy kind of guy and wouldn't want those vehicles sitting in the driveway for months at a time, or permanently.

So if the local municipality passed ordinance to remove it, then he should. His neighbors are real special for doing it while he was out of town.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

We can't have overnight parking on the street, boats in the front yard, cars on blocks or visible garbage cans when it's not trash day.

Can you have pink flamingos in the front yard? :)

Here's one for you. According to the covenant in my hood, no fencing can extend forward of the back corners of the house, so only back yards can be fenced in. Sounds reasonable.

My back property line just so happens to fun along the front yard of the guy who lives behind me. if I fence my back yard, it will extend to the front of his driveway. So, they don't want me to fence my back yard. However, I want to put a work shed and keep a boat in my back yard, but I can't until I fence it in to hide them. Oh, the conundrum.

If they deny me the ARC review, I guess I'll have no choice but to sue the HOA.

On the one hand, HOAs etc are the devil. On the other, if you make a deal with the devil when you move in, there's no real excuse for not knowing the rules.

On the one hand, HOAs etc are the devil. On the other, if you make a deal with the devil when you move in, there's no real excuse for not knowing the rules.

There is that, and in my case I'm fully complying with the tenets of the HOA. They, however, do not address my unique situation which, by me complying puts my neighbor in non compliance. Guess it's time for some precedent making case law.

Also re: HOAs
IMG_2746.GIF

¿que?

I live on a corner lot of a cul de sac facing the main road and the the other guy's house is perpendicular to mine.

Gotchya.

Through the great power of Google (ALL HAIL GOOGLE, SO SAY WE ALL!) here is an example of a few "flag lots"

IS13rhi6nvqsj00000000000.jpg

Wondering if it's a deed-restricted community. Given that boats are allowed, perhaps not.

One of the places in FL where my Dad lived, you couldn't park a pick up truck - yes, a light S-10 pickup - in your driveway. Had to be garaged.

My aunt lived in a retirement community kinda place like that. Their rule was that you couldn't keep your garage door open for an extended period of time if you weren't actively using your garage and my aunt was in charge of policing the street and levying fines for violators. Pretty ridiculous.

I lived in a nice little community in Gilbert that had the overnight parking rule. Every once in a while I'd get woken up by a tow truck patrolling the street at 2AM looking for violators. It's a good rule.

Of course, now I live in east Mesa, where my neighbor has his Jeep Wrangler parked in his front yard and everyone drives a bro'dozer.

Back