American Airlines Flight 1005 Hits Light Pole At DFW

FO does it on taxi out (always nice when it comes during pushback / engine start ) but we are taught to say “I’m going heads down for a minute”.

I understand that it might be trAAdition to do this, but it doesn't look like this procedure worked out so well here, if in fact the cause was being heads down.

I’ve been hearing it was a new captain doing OE and check airman was heads down with the load close out. No idea if that’s true or not.

Pretty senior DFW captain, and a really, really junior fo from another base.

Pretty senior DFW captain, and a really, really junior fo from another base.
So you’re saying my captains info was wrong?!? Hahaha :p

I’m sure we will hear about it two years from now in the human factors portion of recurrent. But not before then.

Hard to bring chAAnge around here....

Don’t know how true it is but I hear AA is a very CA centered airline when it comes to procedural stuff that at other places FOs would do. An example like CA makes the PA for FAs to be ready/seated for takeoff?

I understand that it might be trAAdition to do this, but it doesn't look like this procedure worked out so well here, if in fact the cause was being heads down.
"As workload permits" the book says.. No one teaches to go and punch the numbers into the box during taxi around the ramp.

Wonder what the procedure will be for those folding wingtips on the 777X. Prob just flip 'em and drop 'em with the flaps during taxi.

I hate to say it, but ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> computer vision <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ would be well-suited to be a virtual wing-walker here. Just plop a few more cameras under some clear fairings and hope the existing compute is sufficient. I mean, I know Lockheed is on, like, v3.0 of DAS and still huffing, but this is a problem that doesn't seem too tough ... unless there are bicycles on the ramp and Uber is involved.

Wonder what the procedure will be for those folding wingtips on the 777X. Prob just flip 'em and drop 'em with the flaps during taxi.

I hate to say it, but ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> computer vision <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ would be well-suited to be a virtual wing-walker here. Just plop a few more cameras under some clear fairings and hope the existing compute is sufficient. I mean, I know Lockheed is on, like, v3.0 of DAS and still huffing, but this is a problem that doesn't seem too tough ... unless there are bicycles on the ramp and Uber is involved.

Or you can just taxi on the yellow line. If something like this was invented, some captain would be using those cameras to monitor how close the wingtip is to the ground on crosswind landings and filing ASAP reports about how dangerous their FO's are because based on their judgement the wingtip was less than 34.5" from the ground which is a 15.1 degree bank and the limitation is 15.0"!!!!!!!!!

trAAdition

Whenever I see that, I think of this:

C7FF9F1B-A81A-4464-8D0D-07ED882E9F3A.jpeg

Back