Delta Airlines pilot sentenced to 10 months after showing up impaired to fly plane

With stuff like HIMS, it’s absolutely idiotic he’d choose this path in life. People before you fought for your right to get help for this very problem.

Oh well. Enjoy prison.

With stuff like HIMS, it’s absolutely idiotic he’d choose this path in life. People before you fought for your right to get help for this very problem.

Oh well. Enjoy prison.

I mean, I think the folks who have an actual problem, i.e. alcoholism, aren't really interested in what HIMS has to offer, unless of course, they have that come-to-jesus moment that other addicts sometimes (hopefully) have

I mean, I think the folks who have an actual problem, i.e. alcoholism, aren't really interested in what HIMS has to offer, unless of course, they have that come-to-jesus moment that other addicts sometimes (hopefully) have

I'm not the right guy to comment. I've never tried beer, alcohol, wine, etc, my entire life. Even if I did, I can't imagine risking that stuff on work overnights. Maybe on a multi-day overnight, but most domestic overnights that are under 20 hrs? Eek.

Derg and BobD writing that guys can buy wine bottles and stuff it in their carry on pilots bags? I didn't know that, and personally I think that sounds nuts.

I'm so serious about my job, I look at the clock just to make sure I can consume a Coke Zero ;)

Completely legal. Some airlines even have crew duty-free stores where you can buy… ALCOHOL and they’ll deliver it to the aircraft.

“Crew-ty Free”, as some call it, is literally right next to the dispatcher desk in AMS has an amazing selection of value-priced liquid gold to take home to enjoy like an adult.

Just don't try bringing alcohol to the plane in some airports in China. They're weird about it. Wine is OK though apparently.

Even if I did, I can't imagine risking that stuff on work overnights. Maybe on a multi-day overnight, but most domestic overnights that are under 20 hrs? Eek.

Derg and BobD writing that guys can buy wine bottles and stuff it in their carry on pilots bags? I didn't know that, and personally I think that sounds nuts.

I'm so serious about my job, I look at the clock just to make sure I can consume a Coke Zero ;)

I agree 100% with your first statement. But remember that you are a rational person, not affected by addiction to alcohol. Some of these folks are not. That isn't to excuse what they do, but it is to say that of course it doesn't make sense to any of us.

I do know folks who routinely bring special beers or other liquor home with them. I know it is allowed, but for me, it isn't a spotlight I want to potentially cast upon myself, much less give passengers in the area (regardless of carrier), the impression that we've been drinking. Even if it was totally legal, well within the regs, and not affecting performance. There are enough nervous flyers out there, no reason to give the paying public (who fund our livelihoods) a reason to doubt our professionalism. That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed a beer with dinner on a layover when it isn't an issue, but I've yet to taste the nectar of the gods delicious enough to need to bring home with me on a work trip. Spoiler alert, they are all the same, wherever you live.

I agree 100% with your first statement. But remember that you are a rational person, not affected by addiction to alcohol. Some of these folks are not. That isn't to excuse what they do, but it is to say that of course it doesn't make sense to any of us.

I do know folks who routinely bring special beers or other liquor home with them. I know it is allowed, but for me, it isn't a spotlight I want to potentially cast upon myself, much less give passengers in the area (regardless of carrier), the impression that we've been drinking. Even if it was totally legal, well within the regs, and not affecting performance. There are enough nervous flyers out there, no reason to give the paying public (who fund our livelihoods) a reason to doubt our professionalism. That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed a beer with dinner on a layover when it isn't an issue, but I've yet to taste the nectar of the gods delicious enough to need to bring home with me on a work trip. Spoiler alert, they are all the same, wherever you live.

It’s pretty common for all 4 pilots on a double-augmented long haul trip to be carrying bags of booze to the airplane returning to the US.

Completely legal. Some airlines even have crew duty-free stores where you can buy… ALCOHOL and they’ll deliver it to the aircraft.

“Crew-ty Free”, as some call it, is literally right next to the dispatcher desk in AMS has an amazing selection of value-priced liquid gold to take home to enjoy like an adult.

Well • I’m going to start giving yall a shopping list next time anyone has a Europe-JFK flight

I'm not the right guy to comment. I've never tried beer, alcohol, wine, etc, my entire life. Even if I did, I can't imagine risking that stuff on work overnights. Maybe on a multi-day overnight, but most domestic overnights that are under 20 hrs? Eek.

I’m not going to bring my own bottles from home on layovers but I just bought 3 bottles of wine in Buenos Aires that would have cost $450 in the states for $150 down there. It’s quite common to buy liquor around the world because you get a pretty solid deal.

Coming home from South Africa my Briggs & Riley probably weighs 75 pounds. Primo high quality wine for $7 a bottle.

I don’t know anyone who actually doesn’t have at LEAST a bottle of local wine when departing a oenologically rich country.

I’m bringing unique Soju back from Korea, if there’s a Hibiki or a Yamazaki I find in Japan, it’s coming back too.

Ireland would offer you a bottle of Irish Whiskey entering AND exiting as crew members.

Well • I’m going to start giving yall a shopping list next time anyone has a Europe-JFK flight

You could get a 750ml bottle of Russian Standard Platinum at “Crewty Free” in the KLM flight crew lounge for like 12 Euros back in the day.

Speaking of that, you couldn’t bring booze OUT of Moscow, but you could only buy it at a crew-only special kiosk just past the flight crew secondary security.

Booze in your bag and your level of sobriety are not related at all.

I’m not going to bring my own bottles from home on layovers but I just bought 3 bottles of wine in Buenos Aires that would have cost $450 in the states for $150 down there. It’s quite common to buy liquor around the world because you get a pretty solid deal.

It’s cheaper and you can find some cool stuff that you can’t find back home.

Back