American Airlines Flight 1005 Hits Light Pole At DFW

The ERC will accept that you thought you were on the taxiway line, when instead you were on a different yellow line that denotes the edge of the ramp.

The ERC will not accept that you were hauling ass on the ramp while making this mistake.

EDIT: After watching it again, this video looks like it was sped up. Maybe he wasn't hauling ass.

The ERC will accept that you thought you were on the taxiway line, when instead you were on a different yellow line that denotes the edge of the ramp.

The ERC will not accept that you were hauling ass on the ramp while making this mistake.

EDIT: After watching it again, this video looks like it was sped up. Maybe he wasn't hauling ass.
“That is the fastest one of those airplanes has ever moved during taxi. Oh wait. The video seems sped up.”

I know a captain who hit poles on two occasions.

Conveniently, he wasn’t a very nice person.

Fake news aspect to everything.. First one, is believing that carriers like the Big 3 taxi at anything beyond a snail pace.

Back in the days of Mesaba we used to go into this tight gate in Dayton. There was a light pole by this gate with a number of rings painted on it. The rumor was each ring was from someone hitting the pole, kill rings if you will.

I’ve been hearing it was a new captain doing OE and check airman was heads down with the load close out. No idea if that’s true or not.

I’ve been hearing it was a new captain doing OE and check airman was heads down with the load close out. No idea if that’s true or not.

We’re pretty much forbidden unless we’re parked/brake set or on a long straightaway outside of the ramp area.

I know a captain who hit poles on two occasions.

Conveniently, he wasn’t a very nice person.

We have a similar guy here. He also falsified his asap about the incident.

The solution is simple. Rubber light poles.

Pretty much everything installed at an airport that sticks up is designed to be frangible. In this case the pole disconnected at its base instead of requiring enough force to snap it or pull it out from the foundation.

We’re pretty much forbidden unless we’re parked/brake set or on a long straightaway outside of the ramp area.
FO does it on taxi out (always nice when it comes during pushback / engine start ) but we are taught to say “I’m going heads down for a minute”.

Back