FAA’s diversity push includes focus on hiring people with ‘severe intellectual’ and ‘psychiatric’ disabilities

You have to be broken somehow to look at that thing and not think it’s beautiful.
e22999253ff327cc8f08186ff65950b6.jpg

It’s like the SR-71 in full burner or a Black 70 Chevelle SS doing a burn out… I don’t need to know anything else but the image. It’s just violence, sex, and raw emotion given form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are the RAN in the back, you are in a small closet with windows.

If you are the RAN in the back, you are in a small closet with windows.

I remember in NROTC, we had an admiral once come speak (crazy to think he was active duty at the time), who had once been an RAN during his first tour as a junior officer. He told us a story of doing FCLPs and they had just lifted off following an FCLP pass and something (I don't remember what) went really wrong, all the red lights went off, and he pulled the handle for them. Pilot ended up dying. He obviously didn't. But he commented about how small of a world view he had with those little windows, and how it affected his reaction. Ironic for a photo recon aircraft.

Having worked with these people over the years, I can attest that the following already exists!

“…..workers who suffer “severe intellectual” disabilities, psychiatric problems and other mental and physical conditions….”

Something something A-26
I once got a ride to Reno in an On Mark A-26. I had to find the source of a hydraulic leak (it was a filter bowl that had a crack) before we left KVNY, luckily parts were so common when that stuff was built we had a spare in our hangar and off we went into the wild blue yonder. I was very impressed by that airplane, it had a couple of R2800CBs hanging on the wings and it was no slouch when the coals were put to it. The owner initially seemed enthusiastic about helping us out, by the time we got there (after he flew us around at 20,000' without pax O2) he was insisting we needed to pony up for gas money (he was a billionaire but he never earned a cent of it and thought everyone wanted to take advantage of him) it was awkward, but that's a story for another day. This was in the late '90s and although there was a fairly plush cabin in the aft fuselage the only entertainment was looking out the windows or staring at the pitot/static half of the standard 6-pack plumbed into the aircraft and mounted handsomely into the wood (not veneer) on the bulkhead. I do recall asking my cabin mates to look at their fingernails as we climbed through 18'000' and deciding I'd had enough and I crawled up to the cockpit to have a word with whoever was in charge of this deal. Once I got there I found them all wearing O2 masks. We did get it figured out before we landed at Stead.

You got the need for speed, bruh? :)

All this.

I don’t think people realize many many of their neighbors have some sort of disability.

Everyone wants to live in the world of “Gattaca“ and quasi-Eugenics until they discover one day that they have something someone else would see as “concerning”.

I have a good friend who used to help moderate the website that is a vet, disabled but is a freaking rock star electrical engineer. I could only imagine some blogger saying “The FAA is MANDATED to hire people with disabilities, blarg blarg DE&I blarg”. We‘d be freaking idiots if we didn’t look beyond the title of the article.

”Sorry Mr. Hawking, the lab

isn’t wheelchair accessible”

You got the need for speed, bruh? :)

All this.

I don’t think people realize many many of their neighbors have some sort of disability.

Everyone wants to live in the world of “Gattaca“ and quasi-Eugenics until they discover one day that they have something someone else would see as “concerning”.

I have a good friend who used to help moderate the website that is a vet, disabled but is a freaking rock star electrical engineer. I could only imagine some blogger saying “The FAA is MANDATED to hire people with disabilities, blarg blarg DE&I blarg”. We‘d be freaking idiots if we didn’t look beyond the title of the article.

”Sorry Mr. Hawking, the lab isn’t wheelchair accessible”

The only thing I ever did in my career that I would consider unethical (and more importantly, others would) - was how it began.

I had done a stint during two intern programs for high schoolers that Lehman Bros ran in the 80's. That was big time - go-go Wall Street Yuppie! crap but it was 3 weeks in climate controlled comfort looking pretending to be a big shot in downtown Houston - so I was game. I had a particular skill on the phone and they utilized that and offered me a part-time job when school, etc allowed. So, I got good at "telephone".

When I went deaf I also found myself in a wheelchair and then had a walker. So, I would call places - I would cold call the manager out of the blue not even knowing if they had a job open. I'd pitch the guy on hiring me as a salesman and putting me through Stock Broker training, etc. All of the places. And they were ALL OVER IT. A guy with the balls to cold call them and offer to let them hire him? These guys loved that aggression. I got 8 interviews - and many telling me at the end of the call "Look, the interview is just something we need to do - keep your calendar clear for xyz date". See, I could hear really well on the phone, just in person was bad.

So, I'd get a ride to the interview and 23 year old me would gimp in with my walker, not being able to hear well, with ill-fitting close because I'd lost a ton of weight. You could see the look on their faces. Didn't get one nibble off any of those. Finally, I called an acquaintance and I offered him half of the new agent allowance I'd get in exchange for a job. So, basically I bribed my way into a first job. But DEI is Satan man. We can't let that continue. Or something.

The term you are looking for is "whales f---ing."

Observed over central Afghanistan in fall 2007.

View attachment 76148

We had a guy that liked to use the term “Spit Roast” when we would brief the use the MC-130 to bring the gas down from the high orbit and pass to us.

The AFSOC det commander was NOT alright with that when he found out about it. Guess that’s not going in the J-Brevity anytime soon….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure what i prefer, the TBNT email 2 weeks after app submission, or radio silence after 3 months ;)….

Crazy to think its been a year man..you know that Uno’s is no more :/.
Hopefully something comes along for you.

Man, I can't believe it's been a year. That's a bummer it's gone. Hopefully something good replaces it.

Urban Sombrero is expanding ;) so something good indeed.

And honestly, been having a good time. I can complain, but thats par for the profession, but really…best job I ever had. Though, most stressful 14 months of my life

Urban Sombrero is expanding ;) so something good indeed.

And honestly, been having a good time. I can complain, but thats par for the profession, but really…best job I ever had. Though, most stressful 14 months of my life
I don't know how I feel about Urban Sombrero expanding. After certain hours it feels a little sketchy.

Glad you're having a good time. It really is a good group of people there. I miss it. Don't miss the commuting. Too bad about the stress.

Back