Cessna N564HV - WN2493 - San Diego 8/11/2023

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:11-AUG-2023
Time:19:06 UTC
Type:
Silhouette image of generic C56X model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Cessna 560XL Citation XLS+
Owner/operator:Hy-Vee Inc.
MSN:560-6211
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:None
Category:Serious incident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Approach
Nature:Unknown
Departure airport:Des Moines International Airport, IA (DSM/KDSM)
Destination airport:San Diego International Airport, CA (SAN/KSAN)
Confidence Rating:
CR3.svg
Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Narrative:
A Cessna 560XL Citation XLS+ (N564HV) corporate jet and Southwest Airlines flight WN2493, a Boeing 737-700 (N7734H), were involved in a runway incursion incident at San Diego.
Preliminary information suggests that WN2493 was cleared to line up on runway 27 by San Diego Tower: "Southwest 24-93 Olympic Tower, traffic on five mile final and two five zero at one one, runway 27 line up and wait."
Two minutes later, with WN2493 still on the runway, N564HV radioed the Tower controller, asking if they were still cleared to land. The controller then issued instructions to N564HV to go around.
The Citation executed a go around, overflying the Boeing 737 by about 100 feet.

WN2493 subsequently departed normally and the Citation landed 14 minutes later.

I don't know if it's an urban legend but I've heard a few times they send pizza to the tower cabs.

With how tight it gets there, I’m surprised this even made the news. A busy, single runway class B, and the preferred runway has a parking garage in the way of a true stable approach… Go-arounds are pretty common with the spacing between arrivals and departures.

A fun sporty one there is the LOC/DME-A into NZY next door, in the weather. Flying the LOC to 27 at SAN over the parking garage and all, then a visual left turn at MDA to land on RW 18 at NZY, or enter a south pattern for 29. Always a fun one to fly that keeps the skills up.

Back