FAA’s diversity push includes focus on hiring people with ‘severe intellectual’ and ‘psychiatric’ disabilities

This forum turns more and more into APC by the day lol except we kinda just all know eachother a little better

One big happy dysfunctional family

Would the Whale presence specific to the Essex have been just to maintain a sole role Nuclear strike capability? I don’t know what the timeline was from A6 introduction in the Fleet to full assumption of the capability as the Nuclear option. I know the A7 was nuclear capable, but same thing not sure when exactly from its inception it assumed that capability.

I remember them talking about how Tomcats didn’t operate from the Midway for the same weight and size issue, which given the fact their wasn’t a gap in capes between going from 4/7 to the Hornet I don’t see that being an issue. And the A7s were definitely Nuke capable by the that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAH squadrons deplored with a squadron of up to nine planes on a single carrier.

Whale Dets came when VAQ-130 was the only EKA-3B squadron and sent Whales to Yankee Station. These Whales were not nuclear capable.

The A-6 and F-4 were nuclear capable, as were the VAH Whales and A-4’s. The Whales replaced the Savage, which were the Navy’s first nuclear bombers. Prior to that, the Navy put some one-way-only nuclear capable P-2’s aboard as a stopgap.

By the late 1960s most of the Whales were either tankers, or combo ECM/tankers in the VAH squadrons, from what I’ve been told.

In 1967, VAW-13 became VAQ-130 and traded their EA-1F’s for EKA-3B’s and KA-3B’s. Until EKA-3B airframes were available, VAQ-130 sent dets to Yankee Station carriers (and Da Nang) as they had previously with Spads. New VAQ squadrons were established as airframes were received.

No VAH units deployed with EKA-3B’s. VAH-123 became the RAG for EKA-3B crews but didn’t have any EKA-3B’s. Crews trained in straight Whales and modified C-1’s for ECM training.

In 1967, VAW-13 became VAQ-130 and traded their EA-1F’s for EKA-3B’s and KA-3B’s. Until EKA-3B airframes were available, VAQ-130 sent dets to Yankee Station carriers (and Da Nang) as they had previously with Spads. New VAQ squadrons were established as airframes were received.

No VAH units deployed with EKA-3B’s. VAH-123 became the RAG for EKA-3B crews but didn’t have any EKA-3B’s. Crews trained in straight Whales and modified C-1’s for ECM training.

I guess very early in the war, until maybe about 1966ish, VAH squadrons were actually doing bombing missions over North Vietnam?

Same. I was always "of course racism and any kind of discrimination is wrong" from 0-age 23. At age 23 I was stricken with physical maladies out of the blue that completely re-worked the course of my life - against my wishes. One of the things I was able to be introduced to is WHY discrimination is so bad (and potentially soul killing). 0-23 was rote, age 23 on was a deeply personal knowledge. I would never appropriate MLK Jr day or tell anyone I understood what integrating Little Rock Central or sitting at a lunch counter while rednecks beat you was - but I have tasted discrimination and it is personal.
Some things you simply cannot understand until it happens to you. And that's "ok" - life is supposed to be like that I suppose. One of the things we all have to learn is that we cannot understand and know how everything feels. As time goes on I see this more and more everywhere - with people scowling at each other for various perceived faults, when really, we should walk a mile in the other person's shoes.

Now, it seems likely to me, that about 10-20% of people are •, sure - and I can try to walk a mile in there shoes but only because then I'm a mile away from them and they are barefoot - but in so many cases I feel like a little compassion goes a long way. Nearly every issue where there's some • screaming can be re-examined through the lens of "oh I wonder what it's like to be that person" and I find that why they act the way they do makes much more sense. Regardless, the burden is on us as people to evaluate each other through the lens of compassion and an attempt to understand not to judge - no matter the issue. That's easier said than done with that 10-20% of dbags, but yeah, we owe it to ourselves to at least try.

I guess very early in the war, until maybe about 1966ish, VAH squadrons were actually doing bombing missions over North Vietnam?

Yes, but I think they were done by 1967. I recently bought Rick Morgan’s A-3 Units of the Vietnam War. I need to do a little reading. My Whale knowledge pretty much follows my dad’s VAW/VAQ trajectory.

Yes, but I think they were done by 1967. I recently bought Rick Morgan’s A-3 Units of the Vietnam War. I need to do a little reading. My Whale knowledge pretty much follows my dad’s VAW/VAQ trajectory.

If you haven’t found it yet, there is a YouTube channel that does some incredible detail discussions on that period of 50-70ish tactical development.

It’s interesting from a pioneering jet age of SAC tactics or deep dives into the dissection of the MiG-21 and other stuff we got from the Israelis.

Example of one of the episodes.

View: https://youtu.be/Nou-325wLV0?si=zw1QS4RFsljNHS_l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We need more A5 Vigilante talk here if we’re talking 1960’s Navy planes, esp the prettiest of them all.

Oh man… he’s long gone but there was an old Vietnam era vet in Airwarriors.com that talked about being LSO quail’s for the Vigi… magnificent story teller.

Edit: found the old thread… Tell us a Story A4's

Every time I went to Key West I saw that thing sitting on its perch…. Looked like it was screaming to be going Mach 2 and being held in place like somebody paused time.

Last edited:
We need more A5 Vigilante talk here if we’re talking 1960’s Navy planes, esp the prettiest of them all.

IMG_0306.jpeg

Oh man… he’s long gone but there was an old Vietnam era vet in Airwarriors.com that talked about being LSO quail’s for the Vigi… magnificent story teller.

Every time I went to Key West I saw that thing sitting on its perch…. Looked like it was screaming to be going Mach 2 and being held in place like somebody paused time.

We had one at SFB, and it’s just such a gorgeous plane…looked like it could be an 80’s design. It and the F8 are two of my top Navy designed planes…just stunning pieces of work.

As a kid, my favorite plane was the Vigilante.

You have to be broken somehow to look at that thing and not think it’s beautiful.
e22999253ff327cc8f08186ff65950b6.jpg

It’s like the SR-71 in full burner or a Black 70 Chevelle SS doing a burn out… I don’t need to know anything else but the image. It’s just violence, sex, and raw emotion given form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And what happened to VAH squadrons? They were redesignated as VAQ squadrons, RVAH squadrons, or disestablished.

As a kid, my favorite plane was the Vigilante.

I believe they stopped taking the Whale to the boat after the Nimitz VQ Whale accident in ‘87?

We used to have 4 Whales based at DVT here, doing flight test work along with a couple of civilian F-8 Crusaders and two EA-7L Corsairs.

IMG_4340.jpeg

Don't worry, A4's isn't gone, he just went elsewhere. Still kicking, albeit a lot older now. Retired NWA whale driver (the other whale) most recently, which was decades ago I believe.

There is a Fallon gate guard too, that is painted in mid-Nam era camo green. Kinda wild color scheme for that jet. But like you all are saying, the A-5/RA-5C is the hottest looking jet to ever have wheels I'd say.

Back