Delta Airlines pilot sentenced to 10 months after showing up impaired to fly plane

Oxman

1711282743946.png

SCOTLAND – A veteran Delta Airlines pilot who showed up impaired for a flight from Scotland to New York City was sentenced to 10 months in jail earlier this week.

Captain Lawrence Russell was arrested at Edinburgh Airport last June after passengers had already boarded the flight, the Herald Scotsman reported. His blood alcohol content was more than twice the legal limit for a pilot under local law.

Russell, 63, from Georgia, learned his fate Tuesday, after pleading guilty two weeks ago in Scotland to a charge of reporting for duty as pilot while exceeding the prescribed blood alcohol limit, reported the New York Post.

“Custody is the only appropriate disposal, having regard to the serious nature of your offending,” the judge, Sheriff Alison Stirling, told the fired pilot in Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

“Your offense showed a high level of culpability, and a high potential for serious harm to have been done.”

On June 16, 2023, Russell was scheduled to fly a Boeing 767 — Delta Flight DL209 — bound for JFK International Airport. However, the flight was delayed and subsequently canceled when two bottles of Jägermeister — one half-empty — were discovered in his carry-on luggage during a bag search at Edinburgh Airport, according to a statement by the Judiciary of Scotland.

Law enforcement authorities were summoned since Russell was wearing his pilot uniform with a Delta lanyard around his neck.

Despite a claim that he had not been drinking since the previous evening, Russell was administered a breath test, which he failed. He then agreed to provide a blood sample. During the process, the captain was “upset,” according to the statement.

The test results revealed that Russell had 49mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. The maximum prescribed volume of alcohol for pilots in Scotland is just 20mg, compared to 50mg for drivers, The Post reported.

When Russell was taken into custody he reportedly told law enforcement officials, “I’m terrified.” As a result of his arrest, the flight was canceled.

Russell was terminated from his employment, but has since completed an alcohol recovery program for pilots.

During sentencing, the sheriff/judge acknowledged that Russell was “remorseful for the inconvenience” caused to Delta and the airline’s passengers. It’s unclear where in Scotland he will serve his 10-month jail sentence.

Going to prison is already bad enough, but going to prison in another country is terrifying. It seems he had a real problem if he's carrying around bottles of booze to drink on overnights.

t seems he had a real problem if he's carrying around bottles of booze to drink on overnights.

thor-is-it-though-is-it-though.gif

I don't, but a looooooot of people carry 'flasks'.

Plus, the challenging thing is that it's not illegal and often, in France, you'll raid the local grocery store for some value-priced wine to bring home.

I brought six bottles back from CDG one time, the TSA freaked out and announced loudly, "this pilot has six bottles of wine in his bag" so I called the supervisor over to have a chat about it.

View attachment 77100

Plus, the challenging thing is that it's not illegal and often, in France, you'll raid the local grocery store for some value-priced wine to bring home.

I brought six bottles back from CDG one time, the TSA freaked out and announced loudly, "this pilot has six bottles of wine in his bag" so I called the supervisor over to have a chat about it.

It's pretty normal for our crews to show up at the gate in Japan and Korea with several bags/boxes of duty free booze. That in and of itself isn't a problem (although when they don't declare them when they get back to the US has become an issue), but we all know the guy who either is in a rush to get to the hotel on a short layover to get his drinks in before the clock runs out, or the crewmember that shows up for the van super hung over from their partying the night before.

View attachment 77100

Bringing wine from France is different than lugging Jager around the world.

Agree. I'd rather go to prison in Scotland than the US. Hands down.
Why? Scottish people are scary, I wouldn't assume prison there would be an apartment with a view of rolling hills. I'll continue carefully down the path of never doing things that might end up with me losing my freedom. FREEDOM!!. I'm a 1/4 Scottish. ;)

Why? Scottish people are scary, I wouldn't assume prison there would be an apartment with a view of rolling hills. I'll continue carefully down the path of never doing things that might end up with me losing my freedom. FREEDOM!!. I'm a 1/4 Scottish. ;)

I'll tell you this, I've got a Scottish friend who was former RAF that when he'd get mad, holy cow, it was scary.

I saw him take on two bouncers one night after a few cocktails and it was like a gun-free scene of a John Wick movie.

I'll tell you this, I've got a Scottish friend who was former RAF that when he'd get mad, holy cow, it was scary.

I saw him take on two bouncers one night after a few cocktails and it was like a gun-free scene of a John Wick movie.
People point to Notre Dame's mascot of a Fighting Irish as somehow offensive and the folks in a Scottish pub will chuckle. I'm not disparaging Scottish people, I'm celebrating them. It's the ultimate F around and find out.

Just ask the sheep!

Just to be scolded by a smug British Judge would be punishment enough. Especially if hes wearing one of those white wigs.

Back