“Pax airlines are next”

phill1174

Over the last month we’ve (Brown) gotten several emails about some package sorts being completely cut out and flying reduced. I’m personally thinking the seniority list will shrink though retirements and other attrition but we’ll see. Of course there’s always the major doom and gloom folks who think way worse but I’ve been hearing a lot of “Pax airlines are next” from fellow cargo pilots. Kind of grinds my gears because I don’t want to speak bad mojo on anyone else but I’m wondering how many people buy into that? Or is it something folks throw around to make them not feel alone in a “storm”.

It kind of reminds me of the people who’s been hollering about a major economic collapse that we should be well into by now but we’re not. I guess if you say something for so long and loud enough it eventually happens then you can consider yourself being right. I’m thinking maybe I should put some possible career changes I’ve been thinking about on the shelf.

Nervous apprehension of the uncertain future is normal and necessary. Handling and channeling it in a productive way is just as important as the feeling itself. Having a couple contingency plans on the shelf and some money in the bank should always be normal in one's life.

Speaking strictly for me, my contingency plans all involve guns, gold bullion, and alcoholism.

I hate to say it, but the average CEO making 1000 times what the average employee does, housing being unaffordable, AI (advanced algorithms) taking away half of jobs, politicians refusing to acknowledge climate change all while they focus their energies on making sure they legislating to ban drag story time can only go on for so long until it all kinda falls apart.

Really no point in changing careers if nothing functions.

Those at Brown long enough remember the furlough and how hard the union fought it. One thing that came out of it was personal leave without pay and reduced line guarantee. I took a bid period of leave and sadly we ended up furloughing anyway but the furlough mitigation pieces made it into the next contract. For years after the staffing wouldn't allow for personal leave and it was kind of a joke but I've been hearing there have been some slots available lately. Probably more of that ahead and agree that retirements will help a lot. If there is one place that it would be nice to take a couple months off without pay it's Brown.

Bookings have slowed down. In the Q1 call our virtual airline's CFO has said a recession is not if, but when, and that it may be here late 2023 / in 2024 and how he's preparing this place for it.

Those at Brown long enough remember the furlough and how hard the union fought it. One thing that came out of it was personal leave without pay and reduced line guarantee. I took a bid period of leave and sadly we ended up furloughing anyway but the furlough mitigation pieces made it into the next contract. For years after the staffing wouldn't allow for personal leave and it was kind of a joke but I've been hearing there have been some slots available lately. Probably more of that ahead and agree that retirements will help a lot. If there is one place that it would be nice to take a couple months off without pay it's Brown.
There has been some RDG lines offered for the past 2 bid periods. I got the 411 a few months ago on how the company handled the furloughs after the union fought to not have anyone on the street. It was enough for me to understand the company I’m dealing with.

I hate to say it, but the average CEO making 1000 times what the average employee does, housing being unaffordable, AI (advanced algorithms) taking away half of jobs, politicians refusing to acknowledge climate change all while they focus their energies on making sure they legislating to ban drag story time can only go on for so long until it all kinda falls apart.

Really no point in changing careers if nothing functions.
Office jobs will be automated far before we are.

I've been hearing the doom and gloom since I got into the industry. At this point, I don't care anymore.

Busiest transatlantic season in the history of the Air Line, with 75% of the capacity for the summer already sold, but yes, please tell me more.

That said, the boom of “stuff” is followed by the bust of “stuff,” as people spend money going places again, vice buying things.

We’ll see. One noteworthy thing about perceptions of the greater economy is that individuals tend to project whatever their context is onto (or even present it as) the greater, macroeconomic picture.

I think you're right. I suspect most office workers becoming structurally unemployed, which will kill of a spectacular amount of demand for air travel, will endanger airline pilot jobs long before single pilot or pilotless airliners do.

I've been hearing the doom and gloom since I got into the industry. At this point, I don't care anymore.

I'm not worried about us being automated, I'm worried that every time I go on the GPT subreddit people are clearly already being laid off by companies using AI to eliminate jobs or worried about getting laid off in the near future. I'm not talking about the fast food guy taking orders being replaced or other jobs that frankly people shouldn't have to work and are ultimately insulting to the human condition to be trapped in, I'm talking about web designers, like folks with good jobs, jobs that take them on vacation and to trade shows in Vegas.

What worries me way way more than that is that our policy makers and economy can't deal with this. UBI, policitcal and economic redistributive solutions are still a really long way off, but the tech is moving at lightning speed and its honestly too much for an 83 year old senator to comprehend, thus there's not much point in having an airline if no one can afford airline tickets... as goes in our circular economy. I'd love for us to end up with Star Trek, but based on political rhetoric of the last decade in the first world and China I think we'll end up with Mad Max.

HOPE I'M WRONG!

Wait you have a negative outlook on the future?
Is there an outlook that isn't negative?

tonight-doom.gif

What worries me way way more than that is that our policy makers and economy can't deal with this. UBI, policitcal and economic redistributive solutions are still a really long way off, but the tech is moving at lightning speed and its honestly too much for an 83 year old senator to comprehend, thus there's not much point in having an airline if no one can afford airline tickets... as goes in our circular economy. I'd love for us to end up with Star Trek, but based on political rhetoric of the last decade in the first world and China I think we'll end up with Mad Max.

HOPE I'M WRONG!

Absolutely. There's going to be a huge population of structurally unemployed people, many of whom will be homeless. Neither the public or the lawmakers they elect will catch up with reality as fast as people end up obsolete- they'll just want a solution to all the homeless and unemployed people they'll be seeing.

I think the best case scenario is something like the "Terrafoam" system from Marshall Brain's Manna, but I think there's a good chance those who still have jobs will want the structurally unemployed exterminated, and that will be how the government responds.

I'm not worried about us being automated, I'm worried that every time I go on the GPT subreddit people are clearly already being laid off by companies using AI to eliminate jobs or worried about getting laid off in the near future. I'm not talking about the fast food guy taking orders being replaced or other jobs that frankly people shouldn't have to work and are ultimately insulting to the human condition to be trapped in, I'm talking about web designers, like folks with good jobs, jobs that take them on vacation and to trade shows in Vegas.

HOPE I'M WRONG!
I agree with you 100%, I just don’t have the energy for it anymore. There’s a whole lot of things that I think for my generation are going to be a whole lot of “not fun”, which is an understatement, but I also can’t spend my life thinking about them. Best I can do is be appreciative I have a good job I like for now, and try to live within my means for now and save a little money, while still actually enjoying what life has to offer and the position in lucky enough to be in right now to be able to enjoy it.

Also, from someone who admittedly spends too much time on Reddit, get off Reddit. That place can be a hive mind echo chamber of doom that gets repeated over and over based on stuff that got upvoted in the past. (Go check out the coronavirus subreddit).

I agree with you 100%, I just don’t have the energy for it anymore. There’s a whole lot of things that I think for my generation are going to be a whole lot of “not fun”, which is an understatement, but I also can’t spend my life thinking about them. Best I can do is be appreciative I have a good job I like for now, and try to live within my means for now and save a little money, while still actually enjoying what life has to offer and the position in lucky enough to be in right now to be able to enjoy it.

Also, from someone who admittedly spends too much time on Reddit, get off Reddit. That place can be a hive mind echo chamber of doom that gets repeated over and over based on stuff that got upvoted in the past. (Go check out the coronavirus subreddit).
Preach!

Life is better when you don't focus on the negative all. The. Freaking. Time. The world isn't coming to a end anytime soon.

Back