A little rant….

Nothing will ever beat the Airnet Right Now video
It's weird. It's using c 2007 content, posted in 2014, and referencing ops from the 90s. That's the only thing I found odd. Personally, I'm not sure any of those time indices matter much. I suspect it's been and remained much the same over the entirety of potential time frames.

It's weird. It's using c 2007 content, posted in 2014, and referencing ops from the 90s. That's the only thing I found odd. Personally, I'm not sure any of those time indices matter much. I suspect it's been and remained much the same over the entirety of potential time frames.
Wellll the original was posted on another video sharing website (forget which) circa that 2007 date. I think the YouTube upload was from someone unfamiliar with the operation, hence the reference to the 90s and the 2014 posting date.

Nothing will ever beat the Airnet Right Now video
1710569293647.jpeg

The person that posted that videos his daughter. Found another one of her's on YouTube. It's Hank's retirement video from 1995. It was great, too!

Sadly, it sounds like he flew west in 2007.

The G concourse (wasn't called that then, just had numbers) in MSP is functionally the same in 2024, except they removed all the cool airplanes from the ceiling and stored them away in Southernville.

You really knew your place on the aeronautical totem pole when you parked at gate 89.

The G concourse (wasn't called that then, just had numbers) in MSP is functionally the same in 2024, except they removed all the cool airplanes from the ceiling and stored them away in Southernville.

You really knew your place on the aeronautical totem pole when you parked at gate 89.
MSP is a real nice airport but it just isn’t the same without the rows of Saabs in bowling shoe livery. I was 18 when they retired the Avro but for some reason I don’t remember them like I do the Saabs.

After Airnet hosted the NIFA nerdcon in 2007 I wanted nothing more than to be a starchecker and fly the mighty Learjet. I passed my interview and sim check the next year and was placed in the pool. The Learjet ride to and from the interview only solidified what I wanted. Well, you know better than most what happened next.

I did get to play freight dawg quite a bit up here in AK, occasionally even in the Chieftain (still the most fun airplane I’ve flown). I did eventually get the LR-JET SIC type in the pocket rocket 31, and got a whopping 2.7 SIC checkout in the 35 when the previous gig had the brilliant idea of using it as a backup airplane. But the vast majority of my jet time is in the much more docile and civilized (read:boring) 45. Funny how things go I guess.

MSP is a real nice airport but it just isn’t the same without the rows of Saabs in bowling shoe livery. I was 18 when they retired the Avro but for some reason I don’t remember them like I do the Saabs.

When I first had my ass kicked off planet, Mesaba had Metros and Fokker F-27s (the whistle pig) and Express 1 was running Jetstreams. Mesaba was down at gate 1, while Express was down with the rest of the scooter trash at gate 89. Mesaba went through some Dash-8s change of clothes before they got to the Saabs, and I think Express went Saab as well.

You can still watch Bemidji launch all the Queenairs left in the world at 0700 every morning, though, same as it was 30 years ago.

Back