“Pax airlines are next”

Over the last month we’ve (Brown) gotten several emails about some package sorts being completely cut out and flying reduced. I’m personally thinking the seniority list will shrink though retirements and other attrition but we’ll see. Of course there’s always the major doom and gloom folks who think way worse but I’ve been hearing a lot of “Pax airlines are next” from fellow cargo pilots. Kind of grinds my gears because I don’t want to speak bad mojo on anyone else but I’m wondering how many people buy into that? Or is it something folks throw around to make them not feel alone in a “storm”.

It kind of reminds me of the people who’s been hollering about a major economic collapse that we should be well into by now but we’re not. I guess if you say something for so long and loud enough it eventually happens then you can consider yourself being right. I’m thinking maybe I should put some possible career changes I’ve been thinking about on the shelf.

When I read this I thought "oh the UPS pilots must be in contract negotiations." Since the economic doom experts come out of the woodwork during contract negotiations. Surprisingly the UPS pilots do not appear to be in contract negotiations since the contract was extended until 2025.

Checking out the banter on my airlines internal forum the economic doomers are taking quite the beating. Since the recession that still has not materialized was a major talking point for those pushing a yes vote in the most hostile way possible.

Checking out the banter on my airlines internal forum the economic doomers are taking quite the beating. Since the recession that still has not materialized was a major talking point for those pushing a yes vote in the most hostile way possible.
Anyone who roots against the American economy — especially as an American — is an •.

(Am I allowed to say that here? Apparently not. Butthole it is.)

Oh look. The angry 18%. Still not over it.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
All I’m saying is it’s what you make of it.

The 82% aren’t talking a beating. The angry 18 are angry because they are too senior to leave and throw tantrums when someone else gets even one penny more.

Meanwhile, some of us are absolutely milking it. I have no less than 14-15 days off and my Jan-June credit YTD is 643. Absolutely making bank. Or I could complain nonstop I guess. I’d rather work the system and make cheddar instead.

Absolutely. There's going to be a huge population of structurally unemployed people, many of whom will be homeless. Neither the public or the lawmakers they elect will catch up with reality as fast as people end up obsolete- they'll just want a solution to all the homeless and unemployed people they'll be seeing.

I think the best case scenario is something like the "Terrafoam" system from Marshall Brain's Manna, but I think there's a good chance those who still have jobs will want the structurally unemployed exterminated, and that will be how the government responds.

Ha that's really dark, like way darker than where I go. I mean I'm annoyed that Atlas robots will one day patrol our streets but ya, that's dark lol.

I agree with you 100%, I just don’t have the energy for it anymore. There’s a whole lot of things that I think for my generation are going to be a whole lot of “not fun”, which is an understatement, but I also can’t spend my life thinking about them. Best I can do is be appreciative I have a good job I like for now, and try to live within my means for now and save a little money, while still actually enjoying what life has to offer and the position in lucky enough to be in right now to be able to enjoy it.

Also, from someone who admittedly spends too much time on Reddit, get off Reddit. That place can be a hive mind echo chamber of doom that gets repeated over and over based on stuff that got upvoted in the past. (Go check out the coronavirus subreddit).

I don't focus on it, but like hearing some infantilized senator talk for the 15 minutes you listen to NPR in the car about trans kids playing football or whatever is frustrating, and I like reddit for the specific subs, analog photography, rock climbing, white water kayaking, BMW motorcycles and other things I'm into, but I see some of the more macrostuff too, probably not too good to see if everyday but oh well. And trust me, I'm 35 years old with the opportunity to make 300k as a 737 cap, pinch me I'm freakin dreaming.

Preach!

Life is better when you don't focus on the negative all. The. Freaking. Time. The world isn't coming to a end anytime soon.

I'm not so much focusing on it as much as I'm driving down the street just looking out the window of my car, admittedly I'm not doing the suburb thing... I like the city and riding my bike everywhere even though there's always city problems.

Office jobs will be automated far before we are.

I've been hearing the doom and gloom since I got into the industry. At this point, I don't care anymore.

Um, most office jobs have already been automated.
Seriously
As have 95% of I.T. jobs.
Those transitions to automation are not the future, they're the past

All I’m saying is it’s what you make of it.

The 82% aren’t talking a beating. The angry 18 are angry because they are too senior to leave and throw tantrums when someone else gets even one penny more.

Meanwhile, some of us are absolutely milking it. I have no less than 14-15 days off and my Jan-June credit YTD is 643. Absolutely making bank. Or I could complain nonstop I guess. I’d rather work the system and make cheddar instead.

I must have Schrodinger's seniority then:

Too senior to leave but not senior enough to avoid downgrade.

I must have Schrodinger's seniority then:

Too senior to leave but not senior enough to avoid downgrade.

It happens. This is an anomaly, not the norm. Street CAs at legacy carriers and sub 4 yr Alaska upgrades? The norm is usually 5+ yrs. Alaska historically (from. What I understand) had always been a 7-8+ yr upgrade.

Back