Thank you. You've given me a ton of useful pointers and information about how to proceed.
Anytime.

Pretty sure once you visit a regional/ULCC/cargo.
Wear a suit if possible,hand your resume. They will probably give you an offer lol. There is such a shortage on the regional/ULCC/Cargo side, they will probably give you offer, pending you due a 5 week course (even tho it’s a tour).

Having a associate degree for dispatch as a career, may be a waste of time(depending on who you ask) The market is still decent , head towards the tail end of the frenzy, in two years there may not be as much openings.

Having a associate degree for dispatch as a career, may be a waste of time(depending on who you ask) The market is still decent , head towards the tail end of the frenzy, in two years there may not be as much openings.

Having a degree in something isn't a bad idea, especially when trying to get on with a major. I mean, I do have many co-workers without one, but especially when starting out without much experience, every legitimate bullet point you can add on your resume helps.

Having a degree in something isn't a bad idea, especially when trying to get on with a major. I mean, I do have many co-workers without one, but especially when starting out without much experience, every legitimate bullet point you can add on your resume helps.
With how competitive it is to get on a major airline, a degree helps set you apart, even if it's not aviation related

To echo all the other comments in this thread, definitely do your best to get a tour of any SOC. That will allow you to get a real sense of the job and environment and also network a bit if it’s an airline you’d be interested in working at.

I’m sure you’ll come to realize the career itself is very rewarding once you get to you major LLC/legacy. With less hours worked per year (average 1800-1980 hours a year) and typically a lot of time off, you don’t really feel overworked unless you pick up a ton of overtime.

As for the job itself, I think it’s very rewarding especially when you’re planning/flight following longer flights. It feels good knowing that transcon or longer flight you planned worked out well and you got the people to their destination without any significant weather events/issues. Especially planning routes around thunderstorms and watching it all unfold like a well written play.

With how competitive it is to get on a major airline, a degree helps set you apart, even if it's not aviation related
Agree it doesn’t hurt to get a degree, but at least in a different field (but imagine you waste 4 years of your life and money and once you work your regional job,you don’t like it lol)

Even if you shadow someone (you’re not on the hot seat , so you don’t how it really feels to be a dx. I’ve be seen multiple people pay 5k for school or when to a College program for aviation and quit within a few months)

At the end of the day, if you meet the requirements you have a chance (also BIG thing is networking , it’s just who you know)

OP, you sound like a well spoken guy. A bit wordy, but it reminds me of old school forums. Dispatchers can be an odd bunch, but really aviation is that way anyways so you’ll fit right in. Get your certificate, and hit up SkyWest or Breeze for some regional experience.

Also, this is probably up your alley with reading and info you’re looking for.

The Joint Responsibility of Flight: A Closer Look at the Role of a Dispatcher

PS: for entry level cargo, look at smaller scale ops. UPS and FedEx (maybe Atlas) will likely crush your entry-level dreams.
That was a great read, and thanks for the recommendations. I'm still learning about how cargo would differ from passenger planes (and commercial?) but one thing I read somewhere was that they tend to fly at night, which gives me pause. I'm going to continue reading on this forum and piecing together the information I need, but if you know about a link or a thread where I can get a better view of how cargo compares to passenger (and other differences) I'd love to read it.

To echo all the other comments in this thread, definitely do your best to get a tour of any SOC. That will allow you to get a real sense of the job and environment and also network a bit if it’s an airline you’d be interested in working at.

I’m sure you’ll come to realize the career itself is very rewarding once you get to you major LLC/legacy. With less hours worked per year (average 1800-1980 hours a year) and typically a lot of time off, you don’t really feel overworked unless you pick up a ton of overtime.

As for the job itself, I think it’s very rewarding especially when you’re planning/flight following longer flights. It feels good knowing that transcon or longer flight you planned worked out well and you got the people to their destination without any significant weather events/issues. Especially planning routes around thunderstorms and watching it all unfold like a well written play.
Well that makes it sound rather exciting for me. I don't mind working hard in the early part of the career at regionals. In a way that just makes it more interesting. The main appeal of having more time off is simply being able to live life, but I'm sure any career would ask someone to put in the work at the beginning and earn the benefits of seniority. To be candid, I would want new guys to do the same thing, so they could at least appreciate the benefits for what they are.

That was a great read, and thanks for the recommendations. I'm still learning about how cargo would differ from passenger planes (and commercial?) but one thing I read somewhere was that they tend to fly at night, which gives me pause. I'm going to continue reading on this forum and piecing together the information I need, but if you know about a link or a thread where I can get a better view of how cargo compares to passenger (and other differences) I'd love to read it.

This won't be a concern as much at the regionals, but if you do get on at a major (passenger or cargo), there is a fair chance you will spend a couple years on overnights. Case in point, I just woke up. I actually don't mind them, but just for you to be aware.

I'm actually now wondering if it's a good idea to gain experience at different sorts of regional airlines. For example, learning cargo, and supplementals (I think that means international flights?) and other things. I like to get a varied experience, which is part of why I had such a mixed bag of work I've done. (My resume is full of holes like swiss cheese).

From my look at things so far, it sounds like there might not be any urgent opportunities to get into a major airline in the coming years anyway, so that might work out just fine for me as I can spend more time getting experience. But is it a good idea?

This won't be a concern as much at the regionals, but if you do get on at a major (passenger or cargo), there is a fair chance you will spend a couple years on overnights. Case in point, I just woke up. I actually don't mind them, but just for you to be aware.
Yeah I understand. I know that's part of the risk I'd be taking, which is something I think about a lot as I research more about the field.

Well some say luck a skill, about positioning yourself for an opportunity, and I can't do that if I'm ignorant. So, I'll try my best.
I've made bad investments before and lost thousands of dollars so though I'm more cautious about spending money without thinking twice, it also won't kill me if I get it wrong again.

Overall, it's not a no. Not yet, anyway.

I'm actually now wondering if it's a good idea to gain experience at different sorts of regional airlines. For example, learning cargo, and supplementals (I think that means international flights?) and other things. I like to get a varied experience, which is part of why I had such a mixed bag of work I've done. (My resume is full of holes like swiss cheese).

From my look at things so far, it sounds like there might not be any urgent opportunities to get into a major airline in the coming years anyway, so that might work out just fine for me as I can spend more time getting experience. But is it a good idea?
What @manniax said a degree will look good , yea it’s really competitive .@manniax is been in this forum for a while , you can’t go wrong with @manniax advice

But let’s say you work at a regional , become a supervisor or a trainer. Then you move to a LCC/supplemental and get the wide body ETOPS, that may be more attracting (plus you got military on your resume, plus you will meet friends that are already in a major that’s a good way for an attractive resume)

What @manniax said a degree will look good , yea it’s really competitive .@manniax is been in this forum for a while , you can’t go wrong with @manniax advice

But let’s say you work at a regional , become a supervisor or a trainer. Then you move to a LCC/supplemental and get the wide body ETOPS, that may be more attracting (plus you got military on your resume, plus you will meet friends that are already in a major that’s a good way for an attractive resume)
I was about to talk about the degree thing, since I was looking at a degree program in a university that does Aviation Management with a minor in Dispatch. I thought about just getting student loans and going that route, especially because it sounded interesting to manage an airport. However a dispatcher online told me that airport managers usually become dispatchers, not the other way around so I ended up scrapping the idea.

Alternatively, I get enthusiastic about geography (and would like to major in transportation geography, then get a masters in regional/city planning, and a doctor in autonomous air vehicles (in the sense of the DOT's UAM document to the FAA, with the UAM Urban Air Mobility concept of operations (2.0_0). That was sort of a life plan altogether. I figured if a career as a dispatcher can become flexible enough as a schedule, I can complete my education in things I find interesting and challenging, rather than adapting my education to work.

Realistically though, I am more likely to get my education after stabilizing my income and lifestyle, not before. I wish I did things differently, but I had no way of knowing where life would take me, so that's just how it is. I can get an associates in geography (I'm not far off from graduating at a local college). That's it for now, though.

My replies might be confusing and I apologize for that. I should have paid closer attention. Aside from that, though, I'm thankful to everyone who has responded and to be honest, it's a lot of information that I'm going to process for a bit. I think I have a better idea of what would be smart to do, my own practical actions are clear to me, and now it's on me to learn and make some moves.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Woohoo! I got a phone number from one of the instructors at the college and called him right away. He gave me some next steps and some interesting information about the history of the class here. He seemed like a very practical and knowledgeable guy, no b.s.

So, this summer I'm taking a fundamentals class called Private Pilot Ground School which teaches "The basic principles of flight, meteorology, navigation, communication, weight and balance, aircraft systems and instruments, performance, flight procedures, airport operations, air traffic control, and regulations will be explained. The course provides the necessary information that will enable the student to be eligible to take the Private Pilot, Sport Pilot, and basic Certificated Ground School Instructor knowledge exam."

Anyway, he liked that I called and said even if the class is full he will let me take it. By next summer I could very well have my cert. I think I'm okay with the slow pace too.

And, discussing it here and getting some real talk helped me get the confidence to just do what I can to move forward, which turned into a result so quickly that I'm surprised. Thanks again, everyone.

I see some similarities between you and I when it comes to your approach, desire to learn as much as you can about it before diving in, and your overall way of wording things. And I learned I was autistic about 2 years ago. (Well after being established in the field.) Might be the case for you too. Who knows? If so, I find it has been a huge benefit to me. I'm very detail oriented, able to deal with seemingly monotonous tasks if it involves something I'm very interested in, and I have a hyperfocus to learn as much as I can about interests of mine. I think you'll do well if you keep working hard.

I see some similarities between you and I when it comes to your approach, desire to learn as much as you can about it before diving in, and your overall way of wording things. And I learned I was autistic about 2 years ago. (Well after being established in the field.) Might be the case for you too. Who knows? If so, I find it has been a huge benefit to me. I'm very detail oriented, able to deal with seemingly monotonous tasks if it involves something I'm very interested in, and I have a hyperfocus to learn as much as I can about interests of mine. I think you'll do well if you keep working hard.
I don't know but I could be! I am aware I'm kind of strange but to me I'm just me. As long as it's a benefit in the field then I'm good with it.

I'll work hard. Let's see where I go.

Realistically though, I am more likely to get my education after stabilizing my income and lifestyle, not before. I wish I did things differently, but I had no way of knowing where life would take me, so that's just how it is. I can get an associates in geography (I'm not far off from graduating at a local college). That's it for now, though.

Any degree is good, including an associate's. If you're close to finishing that I would get that done and get your license and start applying away. Just be willing to move! Also, I don't know what airline you're working as a ramp agent for, but some places do like to hire dispatchers internally (especially WN and DL) although they don't do it exclusively. So that might be worth pondering as well.

OP, you sound like a well spoken guy. A bit wordy, but it reminds me of old school forums. Dispatchers can be an odd bunch, but really aviation is that way anyways so you’ll fit right in. Get your certificate, and hit up SkyWest or Breeze for some regional experience.

Also, this is probably up your alley with reading and info you’re looking for.

The Joint Responsibility of Flight: A Closer Look at the Role of a Dispatcher

PS: for entry level cargo, look at smaller scale ops. UPS and FedEx (maybe Atlas) will likely crush your entry-level dreams.
Thanks for the feedback on my communication. I've tried quite hard to communicate well all my life. In some ways, it has benefitted me. In other ways....not so much. Can you tell me more about why you think SkyWest or Breeze are good starting points as compared to other regionals?

(Also, thanks for the link. It helped me get some details the clarified what dispatching is all about.)

I didn't understand the last part of your reply though. What is it about UPS, FedEx and Atlas that would crush my dreams with entry level cargo?

Any degree is good, including an associate's. If you're close to finishing that I would get that done and get your license and start applying away. Just be willing to move! Also, I don't know what airline you're working as a ramp agent for, but some places do like to hire dispatchers internally (especially WN and DL) although they don't do it exclusively. So that might be worth pondering as well.
Can they also consider the employees of business partners for internal hiring? (I work for a company that contracts with the airline).

Back