Regional Airline Pilot Life Review v2

Jet

Its been 2.5 years since I was first hired by a regional airline. Before the airlines I worked a good paying desk job for a large company. Now as I look back and after giving up the nice paycheck and home every night to sleep in hotels and fly airplanes, I have absolutely zero regrets. The most important thing I’ve learned in life is that nothing is perfect. This flying job is far from perfect and is not for everybody but there are enough positives to keep me satisfied even after already being displaced, furloughed and underpaid in my recently started airline career.

As I compare flying to my previous life here is what is absolutely priceless to me:

1) Never taking your job home. When you're off, you're off! Work and emails always stacked up in the old job.

2) No Boss! You never have to deal with a boss unless you screw up. My corporate boss was cool but dealing with a boss daily gets old.

3) 5-7 consecutive day stretches off every month with half the month off. This is by far the biggest reason I could never go back to the M-F grind.

4) Promotion is on auto pilot. No need to brown nose and suck up to your boss. When your number is up you become captain.

Schedule:

I am now in the top 40 percent of my base as an FO so I have decent QOL. I can hold a few day trips and a lot of 2 day trips. Now I usually only spend about 6 or 7 nights in a hotel per month. I get a couple weekends off per month and the rest I only work partially. My favorite is actually a late starting trip on Sunday, 5pm report time. To me it still feels like I had the weekend off. The top 10% in base are home every night with all day trips and some with 17/18 days off.

I usually fly about 1-3 flights per day on a trip and every once and a while I fly 4 flights. Here is what a typical 3 day trip looks like.

Day 1: Start 5pm CMH to EWR then 8pm EWR to AUS arrive at the hotel at 1130pm local

Day 2: 5pm AUS to IAH then 7pm IAH to PIT at the hotel at 11pm

Day 3: 5pm PIT to DEN then 630pm DEN to CMH off at 11pm back in base

This trip is worth 16.5 hours of pay. This averages out to 5.5 hours of pay and this is the average you need to keep to have 15 days off and 83 hrs of pay per month. The people that hold 18 days off need to work at least 6.5 hrs a day for 12 days to get paid 78hrs/month. We do have day trips worth over 7 hours, 14hr 2 days, 21hr 3 days, 28hr 4 days but not a whole lot. Most people bid highest daily credit which gives them the most time off. Some people like to relax with easy trips and would rather work a couple more days a month. I try to work higher time trips but I will work more days if it’s a day trip so I’m home at night more.

Here is a typical month:

1 M Work Day 1 of 2

2 T Work Day 2 of 2

3 W Work Day 1 of 2

4 T Work Day 2 of 2

5 F OFF

6 S OFF

7 S OFF

8 M OFF

9 T OFF

10 W OFF

11 T Work Day 1 of 3

12 F Work Day 2 of 3

13 S Work Day 3 of 3

14 S OFF

15 M OFF

16 T OFF

17 W OFF

18 T Work Day 1 of 2

19 F Work Day 2 of 2

20 S OFF

21 S OFF

22 M OFF

23 T Work Day 1 of 2

24 W Work Day 2 of 2

25 T Work Day 1 of 2

26 F Work Day 2 of 2

27 S Work Day 1 of 1

28 S OFF

29 M OFF

30 T Work Day 1 of 3

30 Day Month: 15 days OFF, 15 days Work, 7 nights in a hotel, 23 nights in my own bed

Hotels/Layovers:

The hotels aren’t as bad as the reputation that goes along with the regionals, well at least at my job but YMMV. My company has about 5 awesome hotels that are right in the middle of the downtown district in an upscale hotel, Sheraton, Hilton etc. We also have about 5 hotels that are depressing in a bad area. Most of the hotels are nice hotels but in the middle of nowhere with not much to do unless you get creative and split a car rental with the crew. The average layover is about 15 hours with a few long 24 hour ones and some shorter 10 hour layovers exist.

Pay:

I won't sugar coat this, the pay is the worst part of the job since we aren't paid what we deserve but you can survive with a budget. Straight from my W2's I made $32k first year at one of the lowest paid jet regionals with most out of date contract. This includes a new hire bonus and per diem and not picking up any overtime but I did work a lot on reserve. Year 2 was $37k including per diem with 0 pick ups on my days off.

Recommendation:

I wouldn’t recommend this job to my worst enemy if you plan on commuting. Commuting wears on the soul. Otherwise it’s a great job but it’s not for everybody. I’d also only recommend it to people who can move around at least 2-3 times. If you live in base it’s a good job and with a little seniority it’s even better. Reserve is actually a great thing if you live in base and work at a properly staffed airline but that is something you won't find at a regional these days. The bottom line is that you will never know if this job is for you unless you try it out. Avoid debt and don’t have expectations of getting rich either. After 2.5 years I still enjoy flying and look forward to a river or expressway visual on a gusty day. Good luck to you!

Good to hear. Glad you're having a good time. I definitely agree with you about commuting. My girlfriend and I are both regional FOs, and when we started out we were commuting to reserve on opposite ends of the country. I had to go learn a new plane to get based in the only common base we have, ORD, and now we live in base. It's improved our QOL ten, nay, eleven fold!

I would hate a seniority based promotion system - feeling like your work ethic doesn't matter in the long run ... not for me I guess.

How old are you? I think that's an important thing to cover. My tolerance for work things at 22 was a lot different than at 32.
You can prove your work ethic in plenty of other ways...merit based upgrades usually shows a different kind of work ethic. Brown nosing

I would hate a seniority based promotion system - feeling like your work ethic doesn't matter in the long run ... not for me I guess.

There are some places where the training department "hiring" (promoting people to check airmen and ground/sim instructors) works off a merit based system.

Trust me... it's never the merits of qualification and teaching skills that get people in to those departments.

Can you work all of your trips back to back and take a large chunk of the month off?

Can you work all of your trips back to back and take a large chunk of the month off?

I used to do that as a senior FO in Dulles and it worked out great! Of course as @BobDDuck said, 117 would make that extremely difficult, especially with how short staffed regionals are.

I too will attest to living in base. I used to commute DCA-EWR for a little over a year and it sucked. Only a 40 minute flight but it was still just stressful (commuting in the night before on the 9pm flight, having to go through PHL sometimes because Colgan at the time had a maintenance delay, and having to take Shuttle America through LGA) were just some of the icing on the cake.

Now Dulles based and 3rd from the bottom as a junior captain, even though I have no control of my schedule, I sleep in my bed about 20+ times a month and can usually pull off home reserve depending on the weather and lines for that day. I remember there was a period of where I didn't fly for 12 days and I was home every night, almost forgot I actually had a job the next time I went flying!

Its been 2.5 years since I was first hired by a regional airline. Before the airlines I worked a good paying desk job for a large company. Now as I look back and after giving up the nice paycheck and home every night to sleep in hotels and fly airplanes, I have absolutely zero regrets. The most important thing I’ve learned in life is that nothing is perfect. This flying job is far from perfect and is not for everybody but there are enough positives to keep me satisfied even after already being displaced, furloughed and underpaid in my recently started airline career.

As I compare flying to my previous life here is what is absolutely priceless to me:

1) Never taking your job home. When you're off, you're off! Work and emails always stacked up in the old job.

2) No Boss! You never have to deal with a boss unless you screw up. My corporate boss was cool but dealing with a boss daily gets old.

3) 5-7 consecutive day stretches off every month with half the month off. This is by far the biggest reason I could never go back to the M-F grind.

4) Promotion is on auto pilot. No need to brown nose and suck up to your boss. When your number is up you become captain.

Schedule:

I am now in the top 40 percent of my base as an FO so I have decent QOL. I can hold a few day trips and a lot of 2 day trips. Now I usually only spend about 6 or 7 nights in a hotel per month. I get a couple weekends off per month and the rest I only work partially. My favorite is actually a late starting trip on Sunday, 5pm report time. To me it still feels like I had the weekend off. The top 10% in base are home every night with all day trips and some with 17/18 days off.

I usually fly about 1-3 flights per day on a trip and every once and a while I fly 4 flights. Here is what a typical 3 day trip looks like.

Day 1: Start 5pm CMH to EWR then 8pm EWR to AUS arrive at the hotel at 1130pm local

This trip is worth 16.5 hours of pay. This averages out to 5.5 hours of pay and this is the average you need to keep to have 15 days off and 83 hrs of pay per month. The people that hold 18 days off need to work at least 6.5 hrs a day for 12 days to get paid 78hrs/month. We do have day trips worth over 7 hours, 14hr 2 days, 21hr 3 days, 28hr 4 days but not a whole lot. Most people bid highest daily credit which gives them the most time off. Some people like to relax with easy trips and would rather work a couple more days a month. I try to work higher time trips but I will work more days if it’s a day trip so I’m home at night more.

Here is a typical month:

1 M Work Day 1 of 2

2 T Work Day 2 of 2

3 W Work Day 1 of 2

4 T Work Day 2 of 2

5 F OFF

6 S OFF

7 S OFF

8 M OFF

9 T OFF

10 W OFF

11 T Work Day 1 of 3

12 F Work Day 2 of 3

13 S Work Day 3 of 3

14 S OFF

15 M OFF

16 T OFF

17 W OFF

18 T Work Day 1 of 2

19 F Work Day 2 of 2

20 S OFF

21 S OFF

22 M OFF

23 T Work Day 1 of 2

24 W Work Day 2 of 2

25 T Work Day 1 of 2

26 F Work Day 2 of 2

27 S Work Day 1 of 1

28 S OFF

29 M OFF

30 T Work Day 1 of 3

30 Day Month: 15 days OFF, 15 days Work, 7 nights in a hotel, 23 nights in my own bed

Hotels/Layovers:

The hotels aren’t as bad as the reputation that goes along with the regionals, well at least at my job but YMMV. My company has about 5 awesome hotels that are right in the middle of the downtown district in an upscale hotel, Sheraton, Hilton etc. We also have about 5 hotels that are depressing in a bad area. Most of the hotels are nice hotels but in the middle of nowhere with not much to do unless you get creative and split a car rental with the crew. The average layover is about 15 hours with a few long 24 hour ones and some shorter 10 hour layovers exist.

Pay:

I won't sugar coat this, the pay is the worst part of the job since we aren't paid what we deserve but you can survive with a budget. Straight from my W2's I made $32k first year at one of the lowest paid jet regionals with most out of date contract. This includes a new hire bonus and per diem and not picking up any overtime but I did work a lot on reserve. Year 2 was $37k including per diem with 0 pick ups on my days off.

Recommendation:

I wouldn’t recommend this job to my worst enemy if you plan on commuting. Commuting wears on the soul. Otherwise it’s a great job but it’s not for everybody. I’d also only recommend it to people who can move around at least 2-3 times. If you live in base it’s a good job and with a little seniority it’s even better. Reserve is actually a great thing if you live in base and work at a properly staffed airline but that is something you won't find at a regional these days. The bottom line is that you will never know if this job is for you unless you try it out. Avoid debt and don’t have expectations of getting rich either. After 2.5 years I still enjoy flying and look forward to a river or expressway visual on a gusty day. Good luck to you!

+1

I like the job too. The only place I ever really find the vitriol for the career is on the message boards otherwise people seem pretty satisfied in general, with the normal moaning and groaning in any workplace.

Reactions: Jet
I had 20 days off in February with one 10 day off stretch and 65 hours of credit. Could have had 70 hours of credit if I had wanted to trade some commutability.

But I was also really, really, really senior in base, and had a good night of trading during line improvement.

How old are you? I think that's an important thing to cover. My tolerance for work things at 22 was a lot different than at 32.

It is pretty damn frustrating sometimes. Especially when you've been doing your job for 6 years and the guy who has been doing it for 7 is talking about his vast pool of experience and knowledge as if you have zero...yet still suck at their job because of a terrible attitude.

It is pretty damn frustrating sometimes. Especially when you've been doing your job for 6 years and the guy who has been doing it for 7 is talking about his vast pool of experience and knowledge as if you have zero...yet still suck at their job because of a terrible attitude.

I hate to tell you, but it doesn't get much better at the major level either. There are some captains here who I am in awe of their experience... and then there are some who I wonder how they ever passed their PPL years and years ago.

I hate to tell you, but it doesn't get much better at the major level either. There are some captains here who I am in awe of their experience... and then there are some who I wonder how they ever passed their PPL years and years ago.

That sucks. Unfortunately the 10% rule tends to apply across all walks of life.

I don't mind the crazy as much now that I'm experienced enough to know better. Raising the BS flag is a lot easier after 6 years.

+1

I like the job too. The only place I ever really find the vitriol for the career is on the message boards otherwise people seem pretty satisfied in general, with the normal moaning and groaning in any workplace.

I would agree with this. I'm on day 8 of 9 days off, this is all without even using vacation. I did a lot of snowboarding, drove down to Moab for a couple of days and hiked in the canyons, and just today finished a 13 mile hike/climb up in the Rockies here (west of Denver). I have a hell of a lot of time off, WAY more than when I worked as an engineer. Most importantly, when I'm done with work I don't take it home with me. I've always lived in base, which has been a huge component to my happiness (I've been in three bases and moved all three times). I'm now living in the area where I grew up and spent most of my life (and I LOVE it here!), with a 30 min drive to the airport. I can't complain.

We absolutely should be paid more, but aside from that it's a pretty good gig for me as I finish off year three at Skywest this month. Quite honestly the job is a lot better than my previous charter and corporate gigs. There are definitely times when I get upset at the work BS, but I've seen much of the same crap when I've jumpseated on mainline too.

That being said, I'm doing whatever needs doing to make my time here as short as possible and will happily move on (to a legacy 121) if/when that time comes. But there's absolutely no reason to not enjoy your life until that time comes IMO!

Schedule:

Here is a typical month:

1 M Work Day 1 of 2

2 T Work Day 2 of 2

3 W Work Day 1 of 2

4 T Work Day 2 of 2

5 F OFF

6 S OFF

7 S OFF

8 M OFF

9 T OFF

10 W OFF

11 T Work Day 1 of 3

12 F Work Day 2 of 3

13 S Work Day 3 of 3

14 S OFF

15 M OFF

16 T OFF

17 W OFF

18 T Work Day 1 of 2

19 F Work Day 2 of 2

20 S OFF

21 S OFF

22 M OFF

23 T Work Day 1 of 2

24 W Work Day 2 of 2

25 T Work Day 1 of 2

26 F Work Day 2 of 2

27 S Work Day 1 of 1

28 S OFF

29 M OFF

30 T Work Day 1 of 3

Hotels/Layovers:

Pay:

Recommendation:

Thank you for the very informative post. If you dont mind I will send it over to the wife and discuss the option of a regional job.

Back