Constantly sick airline pilot

averettpilot

I considered posting this on the airline page, but since this is related to friendly fire incidents from my 5 year old I’ll post it here

I just finished IOE as a direct entry captain at a regional (first airline) after starting training in September. We moved from AZ to VA for this job and to be closer to family so there’s a new environment component to this. My son started preschool in August and since then I have been sick 5 of the last 7 months with everything he’s brought home, and I’m now sick again literally after getting over my last cold 2 weeks ago.

My question is two fold. How am I ever going to survive as an airline pilot if I can’t go more than a few weeks without getting sick? And someone please tell me this is normal and won’t last forever with my son bringing home the plague every other week.

Very tired and frustrated feeling like I can’t be reliable (especially since my company sends me a reliability report with every sick day).

Any other airline pilots with young children experience this?

I considered posting this on the airline page, but since this is related to friendly fire incidents from my 5 year old I’ll post it here

I just finished IOE as a direct entry captain at a regional (first airline) after starting training in September. We moved from AZ to VA for this job and to be closer to family so there’s a new environment component to this. My son started preschool in August and since then I have been sick 5 of the last 7 months with everything he’s brought home, and I’m now sick again literally after getting over my last cold 2 weeks ago.

My question is two fold. How am I ever going to survive as an airline pilot if I can’t go more than a few weeks without getting sick? And someone please tell me this is normal and won’t last forever with my son bringing home the plague every other week.

Very tired and frustrated feeling like I can’t be reliable (especially since my company sends me a reliability report with every sick day).

Any other airline pilots with young children experience this?
Hahaha sir, just pray you kid don't see this lol. Jokes apart!

You mention closer to family in VA. Have you lived there before? I'm guessing not with a kid. Did the kid not get sick in AZ? I hate to say it, but the answer might be to live in AZ and commute. Or, maybe put the kid in a school where he won't get sick (homeschool?). Just weird if he gets sick in VA but not AZ. Might be something to look into as why that would be.

I’ve got youngish kids (5 and 8), and this fall/winter has been pretty annoying, compared to the last few years, in this sense. I’m 100% now, but I’d say that throughout most of Nov/Dec/Jan i had a low grade something that kinda went away and then I had it again a few weeks later. Basically just a really persistent cold, occasional cough, and intermittent periods of just feeling low energy. We all tested negative for covid several times. I think it’s just some crap going around the schools, and it’s been pretty bad this season. I wouldn’t stress, personally.

You mention closer to family in VA. Have you lived there before? I'm guessing not with a kid. Did the kid not get sick in AZ? I hate to say it, but the answer might be to live in AZ and commute. Or, maybe put the kid in a school where he won't get sick (homeschool?). Just weird if he gets sick in VA but not AZ. Might be something to look into as why that would be.
We grew up in VA. Moved to AZ in 07 and came back June of last year. He was part time preschool last year and would get sick about as often, difference was I didn’t catch hardly any of it. Either I don’t have immunity to east coast bugs anymore (and of course he wouldn’t) or my immune system is that of a child’s now.

Can’t do homeschool as we both work. He’ll start kindergarten next year. Hopefully it won’t be as bad. Commuting is a nonstarter. Everyone says it sucks and I believe them.

Just have to hope next year is better but man this sucks!

So not discounting the idea that sick kids will get you sick, because the will, but it’s entirely possible you aren’t sick. Even being originally from VA and living in AZ for a few years, those biomes are completely different and you might be getting your ass kicked by sinuses. Probably not, in light of your most recent post, but before you start getting too despondent try taking some Allegra for a month or two and see if that helps.

I’ve got youngish kids (5 and 8), and this fall/winter has been pretty annoying, compared to the last few years, in this sense. I’m 100% now, but I’d say that throughout most of Nov/Dec/Jan i had a low grade something that kinda went away and then I had it again a few weeks later. Basically just a really persistent cold, occasional cough, and intermittent periods of just feeling low energy. We all tested negative for covid several times. I think it’s just some crap going around the schools, and it’s been pretty bad this season. I wouldn’t stress, personally.
I thought last year was far worse, this year seems like it’s been back to the pre-Covid average frequency of kids bringing home respiratory crud

So not discounting the idea that sick kids will get you sick, because the will, but it’s entirely possible you aren’t sick. Even being originally from VA and living in AZ for a few years, those biomes are completely different and you might be getting your ass kicked by sinuses. Probably not, in light of your most recent post, but before you start getting too despondent try taking some Allegra for a month or two and see if that helps.
Oh I’m sick alright. I take allergy meds daily. Had sinus surgery three years ago and for two years after I was sick maybe once. Thought that was the cure to all my problems because before I would catch cold more than the average person, or at least more than the people in my circles. This past year though has been brutal. Honestly, it’s probably from the stress of moving across the country, switching from 135 to 121 (and being a captain to boot having never been a 121 FO), being in training for 5 months, and then the kid being sick every couple weeks.

It’s just been brutal. Being fired for getting sick was a legit concern at some of the 135s I worked at which was one of the reasons I made the switch (among other reasons), so I have scar tissue from that and can’t help but worry my job is at risk here too. So far nobody of any authority has mentioned anything, but if I don’t kick this one by end of tomorrow I’m gonna have to call out sick again. Just not good for someone new to a company. I’d be skeptical of me if I were them.

Bold of you to assume that as a junior airline pilot you'll see your kids enough for them to get you sick
All it takes is those couple days I’m home apparently. He got me right before I headed to indoc. Got me in the week between indoc and sim. Then he got me the couple days between sim and my first IOE trip. Need to figure out how to stagger the schedules I guess.

My first couple years at a regional I was sick A LOT. At least we had a punitive attendance policy that made me fear for my job. After a few years, I’m almost never sick. Maybe one sinus infection a year, but that’s it.

Oh I’m sick alright. I take allergy meds daily. Had sinus surgery three years ago and for two years after I was sick maybe once. Thought that was the cure to all my problems because before I would catch cold more than the average person, or at least more than the people in my circles. This past year though has been brutal. Honestly, it’s probably from the stress of moving across the country, switching from 135 to 121 (and being a captain to boot having never been a 121 FO), being in training for 5 months, and then the kid being sick every couple weeks.

It’s just been brutal. Being fired for getting sick was a legit concern at some of the 135s I worked at which was one of the reasons I made the switch (among other reasons), so I have scar tissue from that and can’t help but worry my job is at risk here too. So far nobody of any authority has mentioned anything, but if I don’t kick this one by end of tomorrow I’m gonna have to call out sick again. Just not good for someone new to a company. I’d be skeptical of me if I were them.
Well damn. It was worth a shot for an easy solution.

hate to be that guy...but plan on being sick every 6-8 weeks (or at least staying home because your kid is stick). I used all my sick time every year when my daughter was in preschool...now that she starts kindergarten in the fall, it's been less frequent (once ever ~4 months)

good luck

hate to be that guy...but plan on being sick every 6-8 weeks (or at least staying home because your kid is stick). I used all my sick time every year when my daughter was in preschool...now that she starts kindergarten in the fall, it's been less frequent (once ever ~4 months)

good luck

This.

People will irresponsibly bring their sick kids to "daycare", preschool, kindergarten, whatever... because of: Toxic Work Culture (and a whole bunch of other reasons) and the inability to be able to actually take sick time as sick time.

They will then infect your kids, the teachers, aids, etc. and etc.

In my experience, operators at the regional level will escalate chronic illness call outs quickly - even though the IMSAFE checklist that usually resides on the 1st page of many manuals says Don't Fly when ill. Check your manuals about what they say for how many sick calls before conversations, letters, and HR get involved. Make sure that you have FMLA/Intermittent FMLA set up. Check the state law for your working location... for instance here in Cali we have 'Kin Care' - which is legally protected non punitive sick time to take care of your sick family. Talk to the Union. (If you don't have a union, start a organizing drive.)

Thank you for flying not sick.

This.

People will irresponsibly bring their sick kids to "daycare", preschool, kindergarten, whatever... because of: Toxic Work Culture (and a whole bunch of other reasons) and the inability to be able to actually take sick time as sick time.

In my experience, operators at the regional level will escalate chronic illness call outs quickly - even though the IMSAFE checklist that usually resides on the 1st page of many manuals says Don't Fly when ill. Check your manuals about what they say for how many sick calls before conversations, letters, and HR get involved. Make sure that you have FMLA/Intermittent FMLA set up. Check the state law for your working location... for instance here in Cali we have 'Kin Care' - which is legally protected non punitive sick time to take care of your sick family. Talk to the Union. (If you don't have a union, start a organizing drive.)

Yup. I’m super lucky to have an understanding job and I push myself more than they do. Frustrating knowing we do the right thing and keep our kid home when she’s sick and others don’t. We dealt with strep a couple months ago. Right after we got enough antibiotics going to send her back I was talking with another parent about how it seems like they’re always getting sick. The conversation was something like: “Oh, ours are always a little sniffly. We took (kid) in when it didn’t clear up. Turns out it was strep.” I should take up contact tracing…

Airline cockpits are a Petri dish. Morons come to work sick, cough and snot all over the cockpit, and then leave it for the next crew to enjoy. Rarely does the flight deck get properly cleaned and disinfected.

You will get sick but your immune system will get stronger.

This.

100% agree. I was dropping my son off and overheard a parent say “well if he starts to feel bad or complain call me”. She already knew he wasn’t feeling well and still took him in. Not to mention all the kids with snot smeared all over their face and coughing everywhere.

My company sends out reliability reports that tell you how many points you have and a scale of what point levels trigger certain events. I’m currently at a verbal warning but have yet to receive one. I’m told to ignore these reports though as they’re more meant for the FAs and office personnel.

As far as flying sick, I don’t even know how people do it. I think my immune response tends to be more severe than most so I couldn’t bear to fly even if I wanted to. Hard pass for me.

Airline cockpits are a Petri dish. Morons come to work sick, cough and snot all over the cockpit, and then leave it for the next crew to enjoy. Rarely does the flight deck get properly cleaned and disinfected.

You will get sick but your immune system will get stronger.

This is sad, but honest.

”Don’t mind me, I have allergies” is basically “Hi Derg! You’ll be sick in 48 hours! I’ll be at home on off days, you’ll go home and get your wife sick right before vacation!”

I actually do have allergies. By the way, why does every CA either own an Alpaca Farm or have so many domestic animals that they leave somewhere between a Selleck and a Connery's worth of hair in the seat on every leg? I tend to sniff my way across the country between competing pollen zones and thanks to the sheer amount of fur people leave up front. I also have a fine tuned nonsense detector when it comes to allergies vs. sick. I always know when someone is sick, trust me no one uses that many tissues or napkins if it's just allergies. If you are gonna come to work sick, face forward and don't blow the germs all over the flight deck.

Zap got it right also, the flight deck is disgusting. I wash my hands with the vigor of a germaphobe. Never touch my face. Never, ever touch my eye. For instance, think about people's aim in the lav, then you walk right through it and grind it into a carpet that's never cleaned. Scrape it all over the stirrups. Rinse and repeat 5 times a day. I think that's why we all usually end up with the constitution of teachers or hospital workers after we've acclimated for a few months to the daily grind.

Back