Constantly sick airline pilot

...And then there is the germ factory of DH's in the back. That's when I always get sick... 60% of the time it happens every time. Just riding in the back is like eating off the floor of a plague tent in the 14th century.

...And then there is the germ factory of DH's in the back. That's when I always get sick... 60% of the time it happens every time. Just riding in the back is like eating off the floor of a plague tent in the 14th century.
No doubt. When I deadhead I am inevitably sitting right in front of somebody coughing their fool head off for two hours. 🤢😷

I considered posting this on the airline page, but since this is related to friendly fire incidents from my 5 year old I’ll post it here

I just finished IOE as a direct entry captain at a regional (first airline) after starting training in September. We moved from AZ to VA for this job and to be closer to family so there’s a new environment component to this. My son started preschool in August and since then I have been sick 5 of the last 7 months with everything he’s brought home, and I’m now sick again literally after getting over my last cold 2 weeks ago.

My question is two fold. How am I ever going to survive as an airline pilot if I can’t go more than a few weeks without getting sick? And someone please tell me this is normal and won’t last forever with my son bringing home the plague every other week.

Very tired and frustrated feeling like I can’t be reliable (especially since my company sends me a reliability report with every sick day).

Any other airline pilots with young children experience this?
I'm not an airline pilot. Still managed to watch the family, including self, get ill enough to use sick days on the job when the kids brought something home from public school. "Bugs" gonna' spread 'cuz it's what they do; unpleasant reality🤷‍♂️

+
I actually do have allergies. By the way, why does every CA either own an Alpaca Farm or have so many domestic animals that they leave somewhere between a Selleck and a Connery's worth of hair in the seat on every leg? I tend to sniff my way across the country between competing pollen zones and thanks to the sheer amount of fur people leave up front. I also have a fine tuned nonsense detector when it comes to allergies vs. sick. I always know when someone is sick, trust me no one uses that many tissues or napkins if it's just allergies. If you are gonna come to work sick, face forward and don't blow the germs all over the flight deck.

Zap got it right also, the flight deck is disgusting. I wash my hands with the vigor of a germaphobe. Never touch my face. Never, ever touch my eye. For instance, think about people's aim in the lav, then you walk right through it and grind it into a carpet that's never cleaned. Scrape it all over the stirrups. Rinse and repeat 5 times a day. I think that's why we all usually end up with the constitution of teachers or hospital workers after we've acclimated for a few months to the daily grind.
+1 point for Part 91 ops.

if youre not working out regularly and taking vitamins id suggest starting there. make immune system stronk
decreased alcohol consumption for better sleep helps too
the past few nonrev adventures ive worn a mask since i knew id likely be in degraded immune system mode from lack of sleep. idgaf what I look like, its priceless to not be sick when you have limited time with loved ones

if youre not working out regularly and taking vitamins id suggest starting there. make immune system stronk
decreased alcohol consumption for better sleep helps too
the past few nonrev adventures ive worn a mask since i knew id likely be in degraded immune system mode from lack of sleep. idgaf what I look like, its priceless to not be sick when you have limited time with loved ones
Yup taking vitamins. Not working out as much as I used to but I’m still pretty active. Don’t drink. Nothing seems to be standing up to whatever is going around out here. If I start getting sick from deadheads I might consider masking again, but so far it’s all been kiddo.

I thought last year was far worse, this year seems like it’s been back to the pre-Covid average frequency of kids bringing home respiratory crud

Ours was a small sample size. And we also live on an island that didn’t have covid for like a year. So maybe different experiences up here

Back