SWA TA Discussion

What's the latest on that? I've tried searching but doesn't seem to yield much. I've heard it's changed from 67 +364 to 67???
The house version, which is the only version that has been passed thus far is 67. It is with the senate right now for their version and we dont know if that portion is included. If the senate version doesnt have any age increase included, theyll have to hammer it out in reconciliation to see if itll survive in the final version. Although the President's admin has been against an age increase, I cant see something like this veto'd, especially given the Presidents own age. I've prepared myself for 67, Ill be sick if its 68.

For back story. This 67 was added last minute to the house bill based on congressmen Niehls (R-TX)of amendment. This Congressman's brother is a DL pilot who is in (or the head of)a lobbying group for an age increase.

If you're against an age increase, write your senators. If you've already done the mass union emails, write a personal letter separately. The old dudes are certainly writing, so you may as well.

The house version, which is the only version that has been passed thus far is 67. It is with the senate right now for their version and we dont know if that portion is included. If the senate version doesnt have any age increase included, theyll have to hammer it out in reconciliation to see if itll survive in the final version. Although the President's admin has been against an age increase, I cant see something like this veto'd, especially given the Presidents own age. I've prepared myself for 67, Ill be sick if its 68.

For back story. This 67 was added last minute to the house bill based on congressmen Niehls (R-TX)of amendment. This Congressman's brother is a DL pilot who is in (or the head of)a lobbying group for an age increase.

Surprised they didn’t just make it a nice round number, like 70 :)

Although this time around, with the large number of early retirements and buyouts there were of senior people during Covid and such, would a 67 age increase have the same career impact of a lost decade on the industry, to the degree that age 65 did?

Although this time around, with the large number of early retirements and buyouts there were of senior people during Covid and such, would a 67 age increase have the same career impact of a lost decade on the industry, to the degree that age 65 did?
It wouldnt have the same impact because 2 is less than 5 :) . At my airline, the early outs wouldve all been gone by now anyways, so no change. Some other airlines may have had more aggressive early outs, but I am not aware of it. As long as the wheels keep turning it wont be the huge double wammy 65 was. THe thing that bothers me more than anything is, that ill have to work to 67 to reach my retirement number and all that comes with that. Work longer, less post work life.

It wouldnt have the same impact because 2 is less than 5 :) . At my airline, the early outs wouldve all been gone by now anyways, so no change. Some other airlines may have had more aggressive early outs, but I am not aware of it. As long as the wheels keep turning it wont be the huge double wammy 65 was. THe thing that bothers me more than anything is, that ill have to work to 67 to reach my retirement number and all that comes with that. Work longer, less post work life.

Ha! I was thinking age 70 like I had joked earlier, but wrote 67 for some weirdo reason. Good catch! :)

Good points on the downstream effects of that change, though. Even with what has happened in the industry now compared to back then.

Seems like everyone is likely in the same boat...I wonder if its economic or preparation for 67.
Oooh good question. 65 kept me on the street for years longer. I often wonder had 65 never happened would I have gone back, and be at AA right now instead?
I hope they don't jack around with retirement age again. The only one it doesn't screw is the guy retiring in the next 6 months to a year

Exactly. Go right from the cockpit to the coffin.

My wife is 6 years older than me. If I work until 67, she'll be 73 when I retire. How much fun can we really have in retirement at that age? :(
I think I've mentioned this before but my father retired at 61, and spent the following years traveling, spending time with the grandkids, and whatever else my folks felt like doing. Right after his 65th birthday he got sick with pneumonia and the doctors could't figure out why he couldn't beat it. For over a year he was in and out of the hospital, coughed so much and so bad he broke his ribs. Finally they figured out that he had some kind of immune deficiency and were able to treat it with immunotherapy infusions just in time for Covid to hit and make them live like hermits for another year. We talk a lot about what would have happened had he not retired when he did and worked until 65, would he have made it through that bout of illness, and all the things and traveling they would have missed out on.

He is doing fine now but it has definitely slowed him down these days.

Pro-67 pilots be like, why you still with your first wife? I’m on #3 , check her out, she’s 35 and a FA here…

*proceeds to show pic of her in lingerie*

You aren't the first to observe that particular, peculiar behavior.

In the lingo of the kids, I always thought that was a "weird flex".

Any truth to interviews getting cancelled? I seen a few people mention it today and I’m wondering if SWA is going to wait until the TA passes to see if they can be pickier with their talent. I also noticed the window for this month didn’t open either (don’t ask why I was there).
Here’s the latest info.

“This year will see more measured headcount growth. In fact, our Teams built such a robust hiring pipeline last year that our Q1 2024 New Hire classes are already full, and our Q2 classes are projected to follow suit. Additionally, we’re excited to welcome more Destination 225° graduates this year as that program continues to expand.

To keep reasonable wait times between CJOs and start dates and to prioritize the Candidates that we have committed to, we’re canceling two upcoming interview weeks and adjusting the start dates for some New Hires. You’ll also see we are adjusting our First Officer requisition schedule, as we won’t need to use the monthly cadence we followed last year.

All these adjustments are to provide our Candidates and New Hires with the most professional experience and the correct expectations as they pursue a position at Southwest. You may have a friend or acquaintance who is affected by these shifts. Please let them know that remaining a member of our Talent Community will give them the best access to the latest information when we open application opportunities in
the future. If you have questions, feel free to send an email to PilotQ&A@wnco.com. You will also find updates on the SWALife Pilot Hiring page under My Work >My Resources >Pilot Hiring, and we'll notify you when the next First Officer application window opens.

The very first thing that gets canceled are the "hmmm, the normal sources are petering out" sources. When you see those programs getting "put temporarily on pause while we re-evaluate our needs", that's when it's normalizing.

I was curious what the SWA 225 degree program was. 225 is the heading on the compass rose for South West. They explain that early on for dummies like me.

Well….where’s the pic?
1705208779653.png

Back