DL feel good story (A330 in Yakima)

I’m still shaking my head about it…YKM is the last place I want to take a SJI plane. Went there plenty in my previous life, enough to know you don’t want a widebody there.

I don’t know why we don’t use PAE more often. I had a CATIII my last trip, we could see PAE was the best option, but dispatch was not wanting us to think about it. To the point of lying about it “the fog is moving that way!”…no, no it wasn’t
How about Moscow

the pilots are LONG gone by the time anybody in poor people class get to the front.
It’s the same at the eskimo. I tell the FO they should just bail but I like to stick around till the end because stuff can happen and I kinda think the capt should be the last person off. It’s also a bit of solidarity with the FAs because they have to stick around till the end.

How about Moscow
“Pullman/Moscow Regional Airport”, you just read that in the ASOS voice…ha!

I really did not like that airport (esp with the old runway…calling large aircraft and radio remote for traffic). I used to teach that PUW was just like a special qual airport…you could get into a bad spot there in the winter.

I’d take a plane into Tri•ties if I had to go anywhere in central WA…Spokane would be my first choice anywhere east of the Cascades

“Pullman/Moscow Regional Airport”, you just read that in the ASOS voice…ha!

I really did not like that airport (esp with the old runway…calling large aircraft and radio remote for traffic). I used to teach that PUW was just like a special qual airport…you could get into a bad spot there in the winter.

I’d take a plane into Tri•ties if I had to go anywhere in central WA…Spokane would be my first choice anywhere east of the Cascades
Just don’t land on the taxiway

We ended up overnighting in PUW on a complete •show of a trip last spring. It wasn’t an optimal place to be stuck in a Learjet, could definitely see logistical challenges for a 737 much less one full of people.

Yakima though….I flew in there a handful of times at the old job, usually to do a checkride. Some good street tacos to be had and that’s about it.

*edit* the first :15 is me blasting off at some point in my FAA observed checkride last summer.

Last edited:
I think the problem with that is that on some airlines (looking at you, United) the pilots are LONG gone by the time anybody in poor people class get to the front.
Making a conscious effort to stick around (time permitting) to say bye usually gives me a little more faith in humanity. As a whole people are pretty gracious and friendly, even when things didn’t go 100% smoothly.

Just don’t land on the taxiway
That happened right after I got my letter from the FAA, and happened to a fellow LCP that was in training with me/awaiting his letter…it was a pretty bad situation all around. They had a lot of cheese holes lined up for them

We ended up overnighting in PUW on a complete •show of a trip last spring. It wasn’t an optimal place to be stuck in a Learjet, could definitely see logistical challenges for a 737 much less one full of people.
Since the runway got lengthened and realigned I've seen a 737 sports charter out of there.

It’s the same at the eskimo. I tell the FO they should just bail but I like to stick around till the end because stuff can happen and I kinda think the capt should be the last person off. It’s also a bit of solidarity with the FAs because they have to stick around till the end.

Most guys tell me this as well, but it is somewhat entertaining because I am sort of slow and methodical about closing out my side, making sure I don't leave a mess (of the instrument panel/radios and the actual area), and don't leave anything behind. By the time I'm done, the worker bees have already entered the forward lav, and I am now stuck for the next 5-6 mins, awkwardly hunched over by myself, looking through the peep hole until I see something other than the lav door. By then, it is really only the final stragglers in the back still getting off. So I just end up standing by the A and D anyway, and wait until they are gone. Even if I get out of there ASAP at the first hole in the deplaning circus, by the time I get changed into normal human clothes, I'm gonna be riding the train with the whole crew back to the main terminal and probably the bus to the employee lot too.

Most guys tell me this as well, but it is somewhat entertaining because I am sort of slow and methodical about closing out my side, making sure I don't leave a mess (of the instrument panel/radios and the actual area), and don't leave anything behind. By the time I'm done, the worker bees have already entered the forward lav, and I am now stuck for the next 5-6 mins, awkwardly hunched over by myself, looking through the peep hole until I see something other than the lav door. By then, it is really only the final stragglers in the back still getting off. So I just end up standing by the A and D anyway, and wait until they are gone. Even if I get out of there ASAP at the first hole in the deplaning circus, by the time I get changed into normal human clothes, I'm gonna be riding the train with the whole crew back to the main terminal and probably the bus to the employee lot too.

I ALWAYS feel like I’m forgetting something when I leave an airplane.

I ALWAYS feel like I’m forgetting something when I leave an airplane.
The range of emotions experienced when you feel like you've left the ejection seat armed is a special prison. I get the same feeling to this day when I'm on my way off property from flying a 737 and it is for absolutely no good reason.

The range of emotions experienced when you feel like you've left the ejection seat armed is a special prison. I get the same feeling to this day when I'm on my way off property from flying a 737 and it is for absolutely no good reason.

hah, I double check the arming handle as the last thing I do before climbing back down the boarding ladder, every time. Knock on wood, I have never left it armed. Though I have trapped on an aircraft carrier with it safed up, hours after doing it in country while taking a piss. From that night onward, I always remove my kneeboard and put it up on the glare shield to remind myself that the seat is safe.

At what point in the boarding process would one ask if their kid could see the cockpit? My daughter would love it but I don’t want to bother y’all or interrupt your calls to ops on guard or hold up the line.
At the end of the flight for me.

Honestly, with these stupid Tic Tok trading card things, it’s become a huge distraction during preflight. I had no less than 5 grown adults just walk into the cockpit on a flight out of DFW just to get a card.

After the flight, who cares? Come on up.

Honestly, with these stupid Tic Tok trading card things, it’s become a huge distraction during preflight. I had no less than 5 grown adults just walk into the cockpit on a flight out of DFW just to get a card.
Yeah, it’s crazy how popular those have become. it’s taking on cult like status. I’m sure other airlines will follow soon.

Yeah, it’s crazy how popular those have become. it’s taking on cult like status. I’m sure other airlines will follow soon.
Unless the air line pulls a stunt to reenergize it, it’ll be done by spring. I’ve been handing out old not-hologram cards and acting like they’re vintage. People act like they’ve found a secret portal. Before the recent craze, I’d hand a card to a kid and look at me like I gave them a head of broccoli.

That said…I walked into the CPO and collected a full set for each of my kids just in case they go full on tulip-mania (which they probably won’t, there is no scarcity beyond pilots cluelessly bumbling around not knowing what pax are even talking about).

Back