DL feel good story (A330 in Yakima)

One of my favorite parts of the job.

At what point in the boarding process would one ask if their kid could see the cockpit? My daughter would love it but I don’t want to bother y’all or interrupt your calls to ops on guard or hold up the line.

At what point in the boarding process would one ask if their kid could see the cockpit? My daughter would love it but I don’t want to bother y’all or interrupt your calls to ops on guard or hold up the line.
Anytime. If we don’t have time during boarding we will usually tell you to visit on the way out.

But we should always have time.

Barring some major maintenance stuff going on with a Mx tech or two in the cockpit, you’re only cutting in on my YouTube time.

We’ll create time…I will stop whatever I’m doing to show a kid what we do.
This. I will always make time. You never know what that little effort and exchange can do to a young person's perspective on the career. Guys were gracious to me when i was growing up and it's the least I can do to pay it forward. Always ask to visit, maybe they'll even let your little one make a "welcome aboard" PA!

Might be the only time “feel good” and “Yakima” get used in the same sentence
1703488036575.png

Like others have said, come on up. We do it all the time. There is almost always nothing going on at that point, up front. Unless there is something unusual underway.

This 330 into YKM thread is so unbelievably different from the one on APC. I almost never go on there, but I went two days ago because I thought there might be some new rumors about our latest WB order, and I emerged with nothing but a headache.

This 330 into YKM thread is so unbelievably different from the one on APC. I almost never go on there, but I went two days ago because I thought there might be some new rumors about our latest WB order, and I emerged with nothing but a headache.
I’m still shaking my head about it…YKM is the last place I want to take a SJI plane. Went there plenty in my previous life, enough to know you don’t want a widebody there.

I don’t know why we don’t use PAE more often. I had a CATIII my last trip, we could see PAE was the best option, but dispatch was not wanting us to think about it. To the point of lying about it “the fog is moving that way!”…no, no it wasn’t

I’m still shaking my head about it…YKM is the last place I want to take a SJI plane. Went there plenty in my previous life, enough to know you don’t want a widebody there.

I don’t know why we don’t use PAE more often. I had a CATIII my last trip, we could see PAE was the best option, but dispatch was not wanting us to think about it. To the point of lying about it “the fog is moving that way!”…no, no it wasn’t
I’ve witnessed enough •-ery in the OCC to not accept a “paper alternate” until after I’ve asked myself if going there will cause me to make the news. To be fair, and to keep the record straight, the Capt was high mins and SEA was maintaining CAT II or better all evening until that flight showed up.

I’ve witnessed enough •-ery in the OCC to not accept a “paper alternate” until after I’ve asked myself if going there will cause me to make the news. To be fair, and to keep the record straight, the Capt was high mins and SEA was maintaining CAT II or better all evening until that flight showed up.
I have zero doubt you have! Monkey + football comes to mind…

I saw they flew around PAE twice that night, and I didn’t see (at the time I checked, around their arrival time) anything that would have made PAE not available…but I could be wrong on that.

I take that LHR-SEA flight often, and if I’d been on that one…whew, that would have been a night.

Even in my grey plane, only reason I would ever consider YKM over MWH or PAE would be some very specific weather event affecting both of those primary diverts, but somehow not Yakima. Cant imagine taking a WB in there either. We always have BFI as our paper divert at the airline, which is dumb, because it is going to be the same wx. PAE or BLI are generally different enough to matter. And both regularly support airline ops. But I obviously don't make the final call when wearing the short sleeved shirt and tie. And PDX might be better than all of those.

I saw they flew around PAE twice that night, and I didn’t see (at the time I checked, around their arrival time) anything that would have made PAE not available…but I could be wrong on that.

I haven't been around lately, but last I flew, Seatac VOR was OTS, and the alternate missed was in effect on north flow, which is to PAE. Though if it were low vis at SEA, they would have prob been on south flow. But long vectors for the 16's can intercept PAE (it's a waypoint to can add as a txn for the ILS's)

Back