Derg tells Cherokee to put his money where his pilot selection grievances are

You keep bringing your metaphorical Kazoo to The Boston Symphony and asking the director where you seat is in the orchestra pit.

Hush. You have no domain expertise on the subject.

Using that analogy, it’s funny you think I’m part of the band or even attempting to sit there on the orchestra pit side. No Sir. I was one of the attendees. I got to see it from the side opposite yours. A paying customer.

And I gotta say as a paying customer, the performance was terrible. And some orchestra members have an ego attitude whereas some others did not. It’s all a crap shoot. Keep doing what you’re doing and have you thought about upgrading? is not actionable advice.

In a consequence-free world (which doesn’t exist), there would be maaaaany pilots who would give you an earful on the whole job fair thing. I like how we have certain race or sexual orientation groups, but those job fairs consist of mostly straight white males trying to get a leg up in the industry. It’s hilarious and sad at the same time.

I think there’s a reason she’s staying quiet in this thread. And I can’t say I blame her. The whole process is a gut punching, defeating, demoralizing process. I like how we compare ourselves to doctors for pay, how critical lives are, and risk of loss of life, yet doctors don’t attend job fairs standing in line as 1 of 5,000. We need to stop doing this to ourselves.

Using that analogy, it’s funny you think I’m part of the band or even attempting to sit there on the orchestra pit side. No Sir. I was one of the attendees. I got to see it from the side opposite yours. A paying customer.

And I gotta say as a paying customer, the performance was terrible. And some orchestra members have an ego attitude whereas some others did not. It’s all a crap shoot. Keep doing what you’re doing and have you thought about upgrading? is not actionable advice.

In a consequence-free world (which doesn’t exist), there would be maaaaany pilots who would give you an earful on the whole job fair thing. I like how we have certain race or sexual orientation groups, but those job fairs consist of mostly straight white males trying to get a leg up in the industry. It’s hilarious and sad at the same time.

I think there’s a reason she’s staying quiet in this thread. And I can’t say I blame her. The whole process is a gut punching, defeating, demoralizing process. I like how we compare ourselves to doctors for pay, how critical lives are, and risk of loss of life, yet doctors don’t attend job fairs standing in line as 1 of 5,000. We need to stop doing this to ourselves.

Thank you for sharing yet another "CC Grievance". I'm not going to dance around the elephant in the room with this but you, as a person who has literally purchased every aviation job he's had, unsurprisingly, finds actual interview process… distasteful. I'm not shocked.

In the real world, there's a certain level of auditioning to go through. My company needs north of 1200 pilots this year. There are many multiples of people that exceed competitive minimums for those 1200 spots and you want to find the best candidates and I'm sorry, you're just not going to write a check to get the job here.

"The Process" is 1000x easier than it was in the 1990's. Company-sponsored social media outreach where you can ask direct questions to pilot selection, risk-free. Free job fairs where the company will pick you up at the airport, feed you, talk to you about your qualifications, shake hands with the CEO and drive you BACK to the airport, free of charge and requiring no hotel, the company medical is gone, it's a one day process where you know you'll have a CJO that day instead of waiting a week, paid uniforms and paid hotel accommodations.

That's too onerous for you, Cherokee? Go sit in the corner and think about how silly you sound.

(good grief, it's like there's some weird sexual perversion when you beg for public beat-downs, but we don't kink-shame here)

Thank you for sharing yet another "CC Grievance". I'm not going to dance around the elephant in the room with this but you, as a person who has literally purchased every aviation job he's had, unsurprisingly, finds actual interview process… distasteful. I'm not shocked.

In the real world, there's a certain level of auditioning to go through. My company needs north of 1200 pilots this year. There are many multiples of people that exceed competitive minimums for those 1200 spots and you want to find the best candidates and I'm sorry, you're just not going to write a check to get the job here.

"The Process" is 1000x easier than it was in the 1990's. Company-sponsored social media outreach where you can ask direct questions to pilot selection, risk-free. Free job fairs where the company will pick you up at the airport, feed you, talk to you about your qualifications, shake hands with the CEO and drive you BACK to the airport, free of charge and requiring no hotel, the company medical is gone, it's a one day process where you know you'll have a CJO that day instead of waiting a week, paid uniforms and paid hotel accommodations.

That's too onerous for you, Cherokee? Go sit in the corner and think about how silly you sound.

(good grief, it's like there's some weird sexual perversion when you beg for public beat-downs, but we don't kink-shame here)

Purchased a job? What shelf at Target do I make that purchase?

Yes, what you said is exactly what I had stated before about these shenanigans: supply and demand. Too many pilots for too few jobs. Once you get too many jobs and not enough pilots, then stuff like a 737 type goes away. Or even a college degree. All this happening is because of too many pilots chasing too few jobs. You say 1200 like it means something. UA paused hiring, AA is hiring but more than half are their flow through or military. SW paused hiring. Ditto Alaska, Hawaiian, Spirit (furloughing), FedEx, and other carriers I can’t think off the top of my head. So while 1200 sounds like a lot, it isn’t when it’s the only big game in town at the moment. Of course it’ll be hyper competitive. Supply and demand.

No job purchased here, unless you meant to incorrectly equate jet U as a PFT like Gulfstream Academy. But since you mentioned it, one might say job fair attendance is an attempt to purchase a job. Attendance costs is several hundred dollars when you add the fee to join the particular group, the hotel, meals, taxi, etc. One way or another, the applicant is gonna pay to get hired.

And it sounds like she is sick and tired of this madness. I have to say, I can’t say I blame her. I understand the point of frustration she’s at. And unlike the “tough love” crap that some pulled on her, I’m in her corner on this subject.

Both. You can't change history, my friend.

Ok enough sport-bitching as no one wants to read that.

Let's role-play. I put you in charge of Alaska's hiring. So you're going to be responsible for filling 500 seats with pilots that are going to show up, get through school, protect the brand and uphold your corporate values…
Share with me how you propose to do this from minimums, to competitive minimums, to pre-screening, interviewing and onboarding new pilots.

Paint the picture, for me, of what type of questions you'd ask, what type of background things you'd look for in a great candidate.

I just came here to say “yikes on bikes”. Reminds me of a post we have on our union forum. A member didn’t like what someone posted under his post so he made an entirely new post calling the member out in an attempt to… I really don’t know. Kind of like this post.

I just came here to say “yikes on bikes”. Reminds me of a post we have on our union forum. A member didn’t like what someone posted under his post so he made an entirely new post calling the member out in an attempt to… I really don’t know. Kind of like this post.

Well, I'd like that post to stay on topic because the OP is looking for help and CC continues to inject his grievances.

So now he has the floor without any commands from the moderation team to stay on topic.

I'm dining on some Panang Duck and Mango and Sticky Rice eagerly awaiting his fresh ideas and solutions. Refresh refresh REEEEEfresh.

Well, I'd like that post to stay on topic because the OP is looking for help and CC continues to inject his grievances.

So now he has the floor without any commands from the moderation team to stay on topic.

I'm dining on some Panang Duck and Mango and Sticky Rice eagerly awaiting his fresh ideas and solutions. Refresh refresh REEEEEfresh.
That’s like waiting on a bear to stop crapping in the woods. Get comfortable!

That’s like waiting on a bear to stop crapping in the woods. Get comfortable!

Right? Or like watching your cat do something profoundly cute so you grab you camera, she stops and you're sitting there waiting for her to do it again.

Sport-bitching is easy and fun, but actual solutions? Droll, boring and…. hard.

Both. You can't change history, my friend.

Ok enough sport-bitching as no one wants to read that.

Let's role-play. I put you in charge of Alaska's hiring. So you're going to be responsible for filling 500 seats with pilots that are going to show up, get through school, protect the brand and uphold your corporate values…
Share with me how you propose to do this from minimums, to competitive minimums, to pre-screening, interviewing and onboarding new pilots.

Paint the picture, for me, of what type of questions you'd ask, what type of background things you'd look for in a great candidate.

I’ve already answered that too, but my answer was unpopular.

If I was running the show?

I’m hiring a pilot first. All the other stuff comes second. My cutoff is multiple checkride failures. I’d eliminate at least half that pile. 121 failures? Allowance for just once. And there better be a good reason. Accident history recently (Atlas, UPS, Colgan) has been rife with people who have had a checkered training history and multiple failures. I’m not here to make friends with you, truth is we don’t need that the checkered history - the paying passengers deserve better.

Next, I’d hire based on zip codes. Calls out to those local to ANC and PDX, because at least they have some skin in the game to try and stay. (That said, we had several FOs in PDX who left for United to become permanent commuters). It at least reduces the chances by having long tied locals.

SEA is a tougher one, but I have a catch for that one :)

“I hire you and and give you a class date August 1. Delta calls you, you’re hired, they start you August 1. Are you going to accept Delta or my shop?”

Anyone who says my shop = not hired.

Yeah, that’s some reverse UNO stuff right there. :) the job prep companies won’t even see that one coming. But I know you’re flat out lying. And the newhire attrition rates of 2022-2023 speak for themselves. I dont want a liar newhire.

SFO and the LAX crowd, no real answer there. Those are bases for multiple airlines.

The VX online assessment, by SHL Solutions. Arrange applicants by top score and call the high scorers.

Look at resume application to eliminate the multiple job jumpers. These are the people who change their jobs about as frequently as I chnage my bedsheet. :) Unless they were furloughed, or went for a certain base, I don’t want those who seem to have commitment issues (chances are, it was training issues).

And if there were 10,000 applicants? All the above, plus filter out only those who have time in type on the 737. That iAero guy who’s unemployed? First in line. I’m flying 737s. Why wouldn’t the top of the pile represent those who are already flying what I fly? That’s a job specific-skill. Every other industry asks for a very particular skill set for the job in question. But this last filter is only mid there’s a very large pool of applicant. Not with 500. With 500, reasons 1-4 are enough.

There you go. My answers. Told you, you wouldn’t like em.

:)

I’ve already answered that too, but my answer was unpopular.

If I was running the show?

I’m hiring a pilot first. All the other stuff comes second. My cutoff is multiple checkride failures. I’d eliminate at least half that pile. 121 failures? Allowance for just once. And there better be a good reason. Accident history recently (Atlas, UPS, Colgan) has been rife with people who have had a checkered training history and multiple failures. I’m not here to make friends with you, truth is we don’t need that the checkered history - the paying passengers deserve better.
Define… "other stuff". Not many of the major three would take more than one 121 failure in the last five years anyway.

Next, I’d hire based on zip codes. Calls out to those local to ANC and PDX, because at least they have some skin in the game to try and stay.

Not legal.

(That said, we had several FOs in PDX who left for United to become permanent commuters). It at least reduces the chances by having long tied locals.

Nah, your SEA base has been a great proving ground for another major airline with a base there. Axxxxxx me how I know.

SEA is a tougher one, but I have a catch for that one :)

“I hire you and and give you a class date August 1. Delta calls you, you’re hired, they start you August 1. Are you going to accept Delta or my shop?”

Anyone who says my shop = not hired.

Also, not actually legal to ask. But if you hired based on living in your bases (zip code) you're losing people who actually might want to stay in one of your bases, drive to work and have no interest what the larger airlines have to offer.

Yeah, that’s some reverse UNO stuff right there. :) the job prep companies won’t even see that one coming. But I know you’re flat out lying. And the newhire attrition rates of 2022-2023 speak for themselves. I dont want a liar newhire.

SFO and the LAX crowd, no real answer there. Those are bases for multiple airlines.

The VX online assessment, by SHL Solutions. Arrange applicants by top score and call the high scorers.

For legality, the airline doesn't have access to the raw score for liability. The contractor generally says "pass" or "fail". Otherwise the more data you have on a particular candidates performance becomes actionable. Think about bias and the SAT and look up the word "litigious". I really wouldn't trust an assessment to shine my shoes, but it is what it is.

Look at resume application to eliminate the multiple job jumpers. These are the people who change their jobs about as frequently as I chnage my bedsheet. Unless they were furloughed, or went for a certain base, I don’t want those who seem to have commitment issues (chances are, it was training issues).

4's not a problem as many people who have gone through more than a few regionals get the "have you ever resigned in lieu of termination" question. And if they say "no", in about 30 seconds, you can pull the PRD information to validate the answer.

You've also biased against most military candidates. It's not "UPT, fly jets, separate" as most former military pilots have had a number of jobs and most slowly get shuffled into staff positions and often go non-current…. for reasons that make me want to pull my hair out.

Back to the iAero candidate, he's probably been through multiple carriers as well so your positive bias for him is swiftly negated by your bias *against* multiple carrier jumpers.

And if there were 10,000 applicants? All the above, plus filter out only those who have time in type on the 737. That iAero guy who’s unemployed? First in line.

A type rating isn't a direct determinate of performance in indoc. Statistics show that actually it slightly negative because when "Former Airbus Dude" goes to the 737, he's learning a new skill whereas "Mr. 5,000 hours in the 737" has to unlearn then relearn the procedures and sometimes has headwinds accepting new truisms at the new company.

I’m flying 737s.

Good for youuuuu, gold star!

Why wouldn’t the top of the pile represent those who are already flying what I fly? That’s a job specific-skill. Every other industry asks for a very particular skill set for the job in question. But this last filter is only mid there’s a very large pool of applicant. Not with 500. With 500, reasons 1-4 are enough.

See above.
There you go. My answers. Told you, you wouldn’t like em.

So let me boil this down.
  • Top score on an assessment.
  • Zip code based hiring
  • Asking if you'd stay at Alaska if Delta called (which is odd considering 'zip codes'
  • Bias against "multiple job jumpers"
  • Type ratings
For 'shaking your fist at the man', it seems you'd set up a system where:
  • Go to Emerald Coast for the gouge, you wouldn't know to lie about leaving for American vs staying at Alaska,
  • Rent a PO box at the UPS Store for application purposes,
  • Another consultant to learn how to "ace" the assessment
  • Buy a 737 type rating

This is actually like a return to worst days of the 1990's when it absolutely sucked.

Funny thing about "zip code based hiring" (I'm going to have to use that term now), we try to do it at my reserve squadron. Legal for us, and we are very upfront and honest with folks about their odds if they are trying to be a commuter from the get-go. Unfortunately, you can only do so much. A year or two in, there are a lot of folks who suddenly realize they are generally civilians again and can live wherever they want, and they move away (full disclosure, their lives evolve, they get hired internally at the UAL, FDX, or DAL training center, and it no longer works, as a pretty common example). Totally different scenario, but the point being that promises made in advance of a big new life change are pretty meaningless. And there would be no mechanism for Shop X to retaliate against someone who said they wanted to live in base during the interview, and then didn't. Or moved away later.

Seriously. On the airline side, you'd rent a PO box at The UPS Store. But then that'd be part of 'the game'.

In my own case, when I applied for SouthernJets, my address was in Wisconsin, my license said "town south of Fresno" but our bases were ATL, CVG, NYC, LAX, PDX, MCO, SLC, DFW so I guess I could have passed muster? I had no roots in WI, but I can only imagine the interviewer saying "Come on, you're a 'Sconnie, are you REALLY going to leave?" "Yes" "LIAR!"

Define… "other stuff". Not many of the major three would take more than one 121 failure in the last five years anyway.

The other stuff. You know, Habitat for Humanity crap.

Good if they majors took only 1 failure. In that case, hard limit of 1 121 failure and 2 for Pvt, Inst, Comm, ME.

Not legal.

So here’s the thing. No one knows. That’s the beauty. No one is advertising it. I go through apps, it’s my view of who to call. I don’t have to disclose my applicant selection criteria anymore than Delta does. You asked me what I’d do. I’ll go through those 500 apps and find the ones “I like.” Hint, the address is on the resume. But it won’t be something I’ll advertise. “I liked” these people, and show you the pile.

Nah, your SEA base has been a great proving ground for another major airline with a base there. Axxxxxx me how I know.

I know, you didn’t prove anything ground breaking there.

Also, not actually legal to ask. But if you hired based on living in your bases (zip code) you're losing people who actually might want to stay in one of your bases, drive to work and have no interest what the larger airlines have to offer.

I’m not asking you, I already know. Resumes and online applications have name and address. Losing who? You mean guys who might move to base? If they are driving to work they’re already in base.

For legality, the airline doesn't have access to the raw score for liability. The contractor generally says "pass" or "fail". Otherwise the more data you have on a particular candidates performance becomes actionable. Think about bias and the SAT and look up the word "litigious". I really wouldn't trust an assessment to shine my shoes, but it is what it is.

Same way as VX did then. High pass rates.

4's not a problem as many people who have gone through more than a few regionals get the "have you ever resigned in lieu of termination" question. And if they say "no", in about 30 seconds, you can pull the PRD information to validate the answer.

The PRD is a game changer. It wasn’t always like that. We had PRIA and that relied on applicant self reporting honesty. Pilots can’t be trusted when it comes to this stuff. Atlas was a great example.

You've also biased against most military candidates. It's not "UPT, fly jets, separate" as most former military pilots have had a number of jobs and most slowly get shuffled into staff positions and often go non-current…. for reasons that make me want to pull my hair out.

I forgot to address them, I’d make an exception for military folks, especially those near Whidbey :) McChord. Elmendorf.

See a pattern here? :)

Back to the iAero candidate, he's probably been through multiple carriers as well so your positive bias for him is swiftly negated by your bias *against* multiple carrier jumpers.

We don’t know. Maybe. But his departure from iAero is easily self explanatory.

A type rating isn't a direct determinate of performance in indoc. Statistics show that actually it slightly negative because when "Former Airbus Dude" goes to the 737, he's learning a new skill whereas "Mr. 5,000 hours in the 737" has to unlearn then relearn the procedures and sometimes has headwinds accepting new truisms at the new company.

They’ll adapt. If they can’t fly a 737 at one airline and then not be able to adapt to your procedures, then that’s a failure in your selection process and that pilot is actually a crappy pilot.

Good for youuuuu, gold star!

Gracias.

See above.

So let me boil this down.
  • Top score on an assessment.
  • Zip code based hiring
  • Asking if you'd stay at Alaska if Delta called (which is odd considering 'zip codes'
  • Bias against "multiple job jumpers"
  • Type ratings

As a decent starting point. You asked me how to funnel down 500 pilots, I gave you that.

For 'shaking your fist at the man', it seems you'd set up a system where:

• Go to Emerald Coast for the gouge, you wouldn't know to lie about leaving for American vs staying at Alaska,

But they have to mean it. I could tell.

• Rent a PO box at the UPS Store for application purposes,

No PO Boxes accepted with my app process. It’ll result in a Fix-It email. (See what I did there?)

• Another consultant to learn how to "ace" the assessment

The assessment would have changing math type questions. So it won’t be as simple as an ATP bank of 800 questions.

• Buy a 737 type rating

This is actually like a return to worst days of the 1990's when it absolutely sucked.

No, I’d be wary of those guys who have a type with no time in type. That is a resume and Southwest flex. I meant actually flying on a 737.

Between no more than 2 GA checkride failures. 1 part 121 failure. Physical address close to bases. Currently flying on 737 - typed and time on it, right now current job.

That pool of 500 applicants is now done to, what? 70-80?

Ta dah! Now call them to interview :)

You asked me how to funnel them down. Done.

Overall, you're using single determinate to exclude or include certain applicants. That's not how the system works.

"He's got a checkride failure and I have NONE, why did you hire HIM instead of me?!" — because that's a single determinate in a galaxy of determinates. Maybe he could listen and answer a question whereas the unsuccessful applicant kept calling the interviewer "bro", gave a robust, canned answer to the wrong question and didn't bring required materials.

Not required, not even considered in the process. That's a creation of the "bitternet" - you know, the folks that just sportbitch on the internet about their lot in life. "I didn't volunteer enough is the reason I don't have a job" — 100% of those guys that say things like that, when you do the 'courtesy review' of their application have things they're not telling you about. I will put money on that because that's first-hand experience.

Good if the majors took only 1 failure. In that case, hard limit of 1 121 failure and 2 for Pvt, Inst, Comm, ME.
If you're looking at a private pilot checkride failure, that's moronic.
So here’s the thing. No one knows. That’s the beauty. No one is advertising it. I go through apps, it’s my view of who to call. I don’t have to disclose my applicant selection criteria anymore than Delta does. You asked me what I’d do. I’ll go through those 500 apps and find the ones “I like.” Hint, the address is on the resume. But it won’t be something I’ll advertise. “I liked” these people, and show you the pile.

You do. You do realize that for corporations of a certain size are privy to audits by the EEOC on how they hire and the methodologies? Could you pass an audit? Did you know there are audits?

No, but you can't apply "I bought a King Air, I need to hire a pilot to fly it" methodologies with thousands of pilots. You don't have the time resources.

I’m not asking you, I already know. Resumes and online applications have name and address. Losing who? You mean guys who might move to base? If they are driving to work they’re already in base.

But if they haven't moved to base, you wouldn't hire them. See your previous post about zip codes.

The PRD is a game changer. It wasn’t always like that. We had PRIA and that relied on applicant self reporting honesty. Pilots can’t be trusted when it comes to this stuff. Atlas was a great example.

This has never been the case. PRD > PRIA largely because it cuts some of the tomfoolery out that some carriers pull in terms of retaliatory checkride failures. Do you know about retaliatory checkride failures, where they were prevalent, periods of time to "de emphasize" 121 SIC type ride failures 'for reasons'?

How many PRDs, OPRs or NATOPS folders have you read? Do you know how to actually interpret them?

I forgot to address them, I’d make an exception for military folks, especially those near Whidbey :) McChord. Elmendorf.

Yeah, you've gotten your airline sued a number of times. It's a pattern alright. A "Class Action" pattern.

Is it? Show receipts.

They’ll adapt. If they can’t fly a 737 at one airline and then not be able to adapt to your procedures, then that’s a failure in your selection process and that pilot is actually a crappy pilot.

So will a 250 hour commercial pilot.

That pilot is not a 'crappy pilot'. 320 school kicked my ass because I was trying to fly it like a 330, which is very similar, but at the time flown somewhat differently. Am I a crappy pilot? My second FAA Letter of Authorization to serve as a line check airman disagrees with you. Flex? You bet.

Mad Dog school? A breeze for me. The other guy in my class? Not so much because he flew Super-80's at American and when he wasn't complaining about how American did it, he was screwing up the callouts. He ultimately did fine, but oftentimes previous experience isn't a positive trait.

Why do you think a flight attendant has a better chance of going from accounting to in-flight compared to a flight attendant going from American to United?

It's always OK when you don't have domain expertise to ask questions about 'why'. It's even good to debate as long as you realize you need to also learn and grow after the conversation. When you bring your plastic kazoo to the London Symphony, sometimes it's best to put it away and listen to the performance and expand your musical tastes. But you keep playing that damned kazoo louder and louder and it annoys the hell out of those with actual knowledge and they decide to not even bother offering experienced perspectives.

Thank you for the stick figures and crayon drawings. But don't forget that's what they are, nothing more.

I like how you do the illegal thing because you think you cant get caught

Good if they majors took only 1 failure. In that case, hard limit of 1 121 failure and 2 for Pvt, Inst, Comm, ME.

Same way as VX did then. High pass rates.

Gracias.

As a decent starting point. You asked me how to funnel down 500 pilots, I gave you that.

But they have to mean it. I could tell.

No PO Boxes accepted with my app process. It’ll result in a Fix-It email. (See what I did there?)

The assessment would have changing math type questions. So it won’t be as simple as an ATP bank of 800 questions.

No, I’d be wary of those guys who have a type with no time in type. That is a resume and Southwest flex. I meant actually flying on a 737.

Between no more than 2 GA checkride failures. 1 part 121 failure. Physical address close to bases. Currently flying on 737 - typed and time on it, right now current job.

That pool of 500 applicants is now done to, what? 70-80?

Ta dah! Now call them to interview :)

You asked me how to funnel them down. Done.

Seriously. On the airline side, you'd rent a PO box at The UPS Store. But then that'd be part of 'the game'.

In my own case, when I applied for SouthernJets, my address was in Wisconsin, my license said "town south of Fresno" but our bases were ATL, CVG, NYC, LAX, PDX, MCO, SLC, DFW so I guess I could have passed muster? I had no roots in WI, but I can only imagine the interviewer saying "Come on, you're a 'Sconnie, are you REALLY going to leave?" "Yes" "LIAR!"

Fun fact, I didn't know you guys once had a PDX base

Fun fact, I didn't know you guys once had a PDX base

Yup! But then "Portland" became "Deportland" because if your documents weren't 100% correctly completed, they would send you back to Asia on the next flight and cratered the international operation there because of the book-away factor from the word getting out. It was a gateway city of absolute last resort.

Back