Hackers are taking over planes’ GPS — experts are lost on how to fix it

Ahhh again dodging the question of your career. Ok. Again, I'm a moron so please talk errr type slowly, what brings you to jetCAREERS if you don't want to discuss yours at all.
I am an aerial appliance operator. A button-pushing scrow. Just like all of us. The only difference with me... perhaps... is that I was a pilot once, and young.

View: https://youtu.be/7psvLkKY-SM&t=62

Last edited:
I actually suspect pilotless airliners are a lot "easier" (with huge air quotes) of a problem. Like, it's really cool what they can do, the tech is... bad ass in every conceivable way. But driving is a crazy, dynamic environment. There's a whole group of people who are working on the psychology involved in it all and trying to model that too.

Like, imagine you're waiting to walk across the street. You make eye contact with the driver, he sees you, you see him. How close can you reasonably get to the car now? Humans will get really close even if the vehicle is still moving... really close. Once you've made eye contact there's a social contract made, and you know that the driver won't run you over, so you can get extremely close to the road. This screws with self-driving vehicles, because humans are comfortable being closer to a vehicle or even starting out into the street after they've locked eyes with the driver. How does a robot handle that? And that's just 1 problem.

Largely, I think the result will be, "These should be all on rails so people can't get run over and accidents can't happen" and tech will have "re-invented" the train.

The conference was great, but I remember reading several posters and thinking, "oh, I'm the only airplane person here, because this is a problem we solved in aviation like 40 years ago..."

I think we'll get it right eventually (hopefully) - I think legal responsibility for the performance of your self-driving vehicle will be what drives capability not pure tech. I think the "right" path is what Mercedes-Benz is doing presently. Small iterative steps are better than "all at once" in some applications.

but I thought the consensus on this forum five years ago was that I was a Luddite for saying that…?

oh well.

"Hey BEEF, this is Tara from crew scheduling. We wanted to offer you a 200% credit trip at 2200 tonight that requires celestial nav"

Me contracting out to Atlanta Jets as a navigator so I can fly with @derg
OIG.jpg

Five stripes Beeeoootttchhccchhhh!!!!!!

There are lots of kinds of "intelligence"... Lots and lots. And none of them are any better or worse than any others. Only that our "accepted" economic system judges them so...

Listen to Hal Moore in this video. He sounds very much like another hero we are now dismissing as an "old man". Worst is that we are now dismissing that other "old man" in favor of a new Hitler.

View: https://youtu.be/w00HolLYnGI

The best guidebook to buy is the English printing of Mary Blewit's book Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen. No, I'm not joking about the author's name.

It says the name of the state you live in on the side of the airplane I fly so it stands to reason that I'll be in your hood sooner than later.
I always provide beer.
but I thought the consensus on this forum five years ago was that I was a Luddite for saying that…?

oh well.
You were right! I will say that I think we're further along than the naysayers... but not much further, the stuff now is... really freaking hard. If I said you were a Luddite, you were right, I was wrong, and I apologize. Actually, wait, this is the internet isn't it? I believe I am required to double down and get angry. Ummm, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberry.

Like, I think Mercedes-Benz is pretty freaking amazing if you live in a city where you can take advantage of their truly autonomous settings, but yah.

Me contracting out to Atlanta Jets as a navigator so I can fly with @derg View attachment 75063

Five stripes Beeeoootttchhccchhhh!!!!!!
My favorite stupid navigation-related airplane/dad joke of all time.

Brash • captain walks onto the flight deck of the Lockheed constellation. He walks up to the plotting table and sets down his .45.

"Do you know what this is, you pansy-assed nav?"

"uhhh, that looks like a .45 ACP?"

"That's right, you starry-eyed loser, and it's what I use on navigators that get me lost. I expect the best precision and I don't tolerate unnecessary deviations."

the nav sets his pencil down, reaches down to his flight bag, and pulls out a smaller pistol, and sets it next to the .45.

"what in the hell is that?" asked the captain.

"Well, to be perfectly honest sir, I'm going to know we're lost long before you will."

Like, I think Mercedes-Benz is pretty freaking amazing if you live in a city where you can take advantage of their truly autonomous settings, but yah.

They make the best cars, hands down. Maybe not in the late 90's/early 2000's, and I'm not a fan aesthetically of a number of the current lot, but they are well engineered. My current airport car is a 2003, and it has 154k on the odo. I plan to take her to 250k before I get a new DD, barring some unforeseen incident that is always a possibility around here on that commute.

They make the best cars, hands down. Maybe not in the late 90's/early 2000's, and I'm not a fan aesthetically of a number of the current lot, but they are well engineered. My current airport car is a 2003, and it has 154k on the odo. I plan to take her to 250k before I get a new DD, barring some unforeseen incident that is always a possibility around here on that commute.

My sprinter just ate another 2000$ pump.

Not stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you use a $20 word in a situation that calls for a 5¢ word, it may come off as pompous, especially to those who have to look it up. But sometimes that $20 word carries a nuance that's more appropriate, and nuanced language can be very useful.

But when you use a $20 word in a situation that calls for a 5¢ word, and you use it wrong, you just look like a moron.

That’s only a theory.
I recall a flight many moons ago when I was building my solo cross country time for my private. I took off from KBUR in my trusty 152 and headed up through the Newhall Pass headed to a destination I don't recall. I'd asked for flight following and was tooting along at 100 knots when I spied with my big blue eyes a DC-4 climbing out of Fox field directly at me, it was headed somewhere and there was a chance because of my slow pace we might actually have a microsecond to say hello. I did the Doug Masters move and abused that 152 into a hard bank descending turn and "high G" pullout. It was close, I saw both pilots Wayfarers and they weren't looking at at me. I was understandably a bit upset and once I'd wiped the sweat from my brow and said a prayer to Chappie I was climbing back to my planned altitude (probably 7500 ft) and decided to call SoCal and give them a piece of my mind about flight following. They had no idea what I was talking about, whoever that firebomber crew was they were not on their scope and the controller seemed indifferent. That's when I learned about see and avoid and the fallacy of the big sky theory. I was a very prepared student pilot and I took a moment to have some water and clean my sunglasses and I soldiered on. So this is what VFR means...

Back