Commercial ASEL bust

the thing is, DPEs are supposed to be able to make a judgment call there, and he kept saying, "well, this is a commercial ride". DPEs should be honest enough to say "ya know, the air conditions are such that there's no way you'll pass today, let's reschedule." But when they have a financial stake, that's just not gonna happen.

The DE is never to make a judgement call for you. You are demonstrating PIC qualities and the PIC of the flight makes the call - not the "passenger", which is officially what his position is - FAR 61.47.

Yeah, I understand your feeling "pressured" by a DE wanting to do the ride, but it is always your call.

And I'm not just dumping on you, in case you're feeling that way - I am intending to point out that serious mistake so you won't do it next time.:)

You can't win em all. (Even USC can't win em all)

Everyone is upset if and when they fail a checkride. I agree with what people said about just booking another trip down to the same DE. You should have just discontinued after you took off and realized you couldn't hold altitude on the way to the practice area or after you looked at the metar and pireps of turbulence in the area but we can go woulda shoulda coulda all day. Just keep your head up and give it another go.

Also don't worry about the failed checkride in airline interviews, they just want to hear what you learned from it. And like said before they aren't looking for someone who blames everything but himself. Take it like a man (Ex. I couldn't hold altitude due to the up and down drafts and learned alot about....etc....) They want to know how it bettered you as a Pilot, not what a • bag your examiner was. They could give 2 sheets.

Keep your head up and give it another go.:nana2::nana2:

While I agree with your premise, the FAA does not support your assertion that the standard is "demonstrate mastery of the aircraft in all conditions", as the PTS makes clear; again, "The tolerances represent the performance expected in good flying conditions."

The issue is not about accepting blame or responsibility for my performance, but one of examiners applying their own personal requirements instead of strict adherence to the PTS. When "good flying conditions" do not exist, the FAA does not expect applicants to meet the published tolerances, and neither should examiners. (It's too bad we don't have any DPEs on the board to offer their $0.02...)

p.s., just so there's no confusion, this is purely an academic discussion; I'm taking my lumps and pressing on--though I won't be going back to Colorado for the recheck, it's simply not cost-effective.
It makes it a judgment call for the DPE, not you. He decides what the conditions are and how they should affect the flight.

Back