Commercial ASEL bust

aloft

Oral went very well, examiner went item-by-item down a checklist of some sort, much more detailed than the PTS. He hit basically everything in the PTS, asking a few questions from every area. He said he was impressed with how well-prepared I was, and that if the flying portion went like that, I was in great shape. It didn't.

We took off from Colorado Springs for the first leg of my planned cross-country, to the Pueblo VORTAC. He said I had to demonstrate computing my groundspeed, yet he let me use DME to measure the distance traveled while timing it on my watch, go figure. Guess he missed that the GPS was showing groundspeed too, I glanced at it and fudged the number by a few knots, and after reporting it to him, he gave me my divert, to the Air Force Academy's auxiliary field, "Bullseye"--which the PUB VOR rose conveniently pointed due North to, and which I dialed in on the HSI and flew straight to. He was all, "how'd you find that so easy?" All the while, I'm having a seriously difficult time maintaining altitude, which was to become the theme of the day.

Then we started the performance maneuvers. Chandelles went fine, no problems. So we moved on to stalls. Again, no problems. Then, on to Lazy 8's. This is where my day went awry.

Lesson Learned #1: sailplane pilots like hot days in mountainous areas for a reason, and that reason is thermal lift. When your task is to maintain altitude within 50 feet, hot days in mountainous areas are not your friend. Maintaining altitude within less than +/-150' was just not possible today.

Having practiced Lazy 8s quite a bit, I'm used to a 250-350 foot gain. On my first one, I glance at the altimeter at the first 90 degree point, and I've gained 600 feet. I'm thinking "WTF?!" No way I can descend that much without the airspeed going through the roof. I finish the first half of the maneuver about 250 ft high. On the 2nd half, performed exactly the same, I gain about 150 ft, and he complains that it's too flat. He lets me try it again, and I eek out a set he deems acceptable.

On to steep turns. I'm having a beetch of a time getting stabilized at maneuvering speed and on-altitude. I finally get it there, and roll into my first turn, only I've shot up 200 ft already, and he says he can't let that large of a deviation go, and that was that. I attempted to plead my case that maintaining +/- 50' just wasn't doable in those conditions, but he wasn't buying it. I asked if I attempt it once more, and he said he'd think about it, but I was to move on to slow flight and stalls. I slowed it down and again was seeing big, quick swings on the VSI and the second I passed 50 feet off altitude, he said "ok, we're done". I could continue or call it a day, but I was going home with a Notice of Disapproval instead of a temporary pilot certificate. I elect to continue, which turned out to be a mistake for reasons I'll explain later.

Went on to do power-off and power-on stalls, no problem. Steep spiral down to set up for a simulated forced landing, he said that was very good. Eights on pylons, my initial pylons were too far apart, he picked out a closer one for me, but no further problems there. So we head back to the airport for landings.

I had a tough time spotting the airport, had to rely on GPS to orient myself, and ended up on a dogleg-to-final for Runway 17L. Normal landing, no problem. Normal takeoff, again, no problem. Tower has me go right traffic, for a downwind between the parallel runways, right over the top of the terminal. Weird, I thought, but whatever. Just as I'm making my initial power reduction, they switch me to the other runway, so now I'm on a wide left downwind for 17R. Soft field landing followed by a soft field takeoff, again, no problemo. On downwind between runways again, tower switches me back to the other runway. Annoying, but whatever. Short field landing followed by short field takeoff, fine. First attempt at a power-off 180 doesn't happen, I initiate a go-around. On upwind, tower tells me to follow a Katana just entering the pattern. No problem, until they make an extended downwind and prevent me from attempting another 180. On downwind, surprise, tower switches me to the other runway once more (3rd time, for those counting). Again, I'm short and go around. Examiner says I've got one last chance at it, and I put it down at what he calls 250 feet long. By that point, I'm like, whatever, I'm so done with this. Oh, and the winds I was trying to do these in:

KCOS 161954Z 18007KT 130V220 10SM FEW100 33/00 A3017 RMK AO2 SLP105 T03280000

And did I mention the continual wind shear alerts from tower? Yeah....

Lesson Learned #2: widely shifting winds make for pretty tough power-off 180s.

So we taxi in, I get the plane fueled up and paid for, and meet him inside. He says everything was acceptable except for my steep turns, slow flight, and the power-off 180, and hands me my disapproved 8710 and IACRA-generated Notice of Disapproval. I'm thinking great, only three things to re-do. Then I look at the Notice. It says I am to be re-evaluated on:

IV. Takeoffs, landings and go-arounds
V. Performance Maneuvers
VIII. Slow flight and stalls

No credit for the soft/short fielders that went fine, no credit for the stalls that went fine, no credit for the Chandelles and Lazy 8s that went fine. In other words, I pretty much have to redo 80% of the checkride, even though only 3 elements were unsat. Shoulda ended the ride right when he said he couldn't let the steep turns go.

Lesson Learned #3: when it's clear you've busted the ride, end it. It's not salvageable, and in a demoralized state, your head's not going to be in it, so why waste the cash? Knock it off and come back fresh and ready to fight another day.

As you can tell, I'm still pretty pissed, but it's only been 6 hours. It sucks that it wasn't me just having an "off day"; I thought I flew pretty well, actually. Had the air just been a little smoother, I'm confident that I'd be celebrating right now. Yeah, I know that sounds like a cop-out but I just don't think that with that much thermal activity and general turbulence, that expecting adherence to +/- 50' is realistic--and the thing is, DPEs are supposed to be able to make a judgment call there, and he kept saying, "well, this is a commercial ride". DPEs should be honest enough to say "ya know, the air conditions are such that there's no way you'll pass today, let's reschedule." But when they have a financial stake, that's just not gonna happen.

Having thought about it, I won't be coming back to the same examiner for the re-check--and not because I'm not happy with today's outcome (and though he made it clear he's not a "big picture" type of DPE). I came over to Colo. Springs to do the ride because I had done most of my commercial training in a 182RG over in Salt Lake, but that airplane went down for maintenance just 4 days before I was to originally take this checkride back in May, and the owner elected to sell it rather than invest in the due engine overhaul. Being unable to find another Cessna retract for rent anywhere in Utah, I found this one here at COS and figured it'd be no problem to hop a flight over here and knock out the ride. Certainly, it'd be cheaper than getting checked out and proficient in an Arrow someplace...or so I thought. Even with buddy passes for the travel, after hotel and rental car expenses, it would've been a wash. So, I'm gonna go home and get checked out in an Arrow, and see if I can't get a re-check scheduled with a local examiner within the next few weeks.

Sorry to hear that man. It sucks to have an off day. He didn't give you any credit for being out of your comfort zone in a new area and all.
Shane

A) you might want to take a ride like that early in the morning when it's calm. If possible.

B) the notice of disapproval might have to say what it says. But, if you do the recheck with the same examiner and haven't done anything to piss him off, I'd think there is a pretty good chance he'll only look for the things he said he'd look for. I'd guess he had to fill out the form a certain way but that doesn't mean he won't hold himself to his previous word.

That sucks Matt.

Nothing you can do about thermals.

Let me know if you need some Arrow time, but I think it will cost you way more to transition to a different airplane and have to learn a whole different set of systems; rather than rescheduling with the same guy and going early in the morning. Even if you have to fly/drive to COS again.

Hey man I feel you. Sorry about your luck. I flew a guy to Stuart for a MEI check and the examiner busted him before they even started, of course he let the student go through THE WHOLE THING. It was a really windy day of like 20K gusts. He busted for 1) even flying 2) not using aileron control on taxi and 3) bad steep turns. So lesson learned: dont be afraid to tell the examiner to park his ass for another day and dont let the WX screw your checkride! Im sure you'll have it on the next try :rawk:

I learned about attempting checkrides in bad wind conditions on my Instrument ride... boy, im never flying in g40 again... at least for a checkride in a seminole haha.

Good writeup though, its clear you understand the maneuvers and what was happening, so I have faith that it was just a bad day wx wise...

like others said, try going up in the AM before the heat can cause the thermals to become unbearable.

Good luck!

Yeah like I said in your post in the General board, the power-off 180 is not a valid test and I think the stupid 200 foot accuracy crap should be removed from the PTS. Even the best pilots in the world can only get it within 200 feet 50% of the time. And some airplanes are designed to float more than others. I think if you get it touched down and stopped within a reasonable disance, and demonstrate you can safely land the thing in the event of an emergency you should get credit. As for the steep turns and slow flight, I'm sure you'll get those knocked out next time, you probably just had a bad day in some rough air. I don't think the examinder can specify specific maneuvers on the disapproval. I think they have to list areas of operations. If you go back to the same examiner for the re-check, they will know what you satisfactorily completed the first time and will usually only make you do the stuff you busted. A lot of people talk about this as being an easy ride, but I think it was one of the hardest ones I've ever had to do. Actually I think CFI was the only one that was harder. Lots of tough maneuvers in this one. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Sorry about your checkride bust. I would encourage you, however, to rethink the lessons you've learned from this experience. I can't tell from your post that you've accepted any responsiblity whatever for the events that occurred.

Your examiner was a very experienced pilot and is probably familiar with the area. He felt that you could have done better with your altitude; he's probably right. He may be giving you good, objective feedback about your skill level in comparison with other Commercial pilots that he's seen and you would do well to listen to him, no matter how painful.

I've seen too many students blame weather conditions, when a greater attentiveness and more aggressive action on their part could have easily kept them within parameters, which is still +- 100 feet on a Commercial, except for slow flight, +- 50. As long as you tell yourself it's not possible to fly with this skill level, it will remain so....for you.

BTW, when you do not meet standards on any maneuver, you fail the area of operation, that's why the examiner put that on your pink slip. The examiner has the right to reexamine you on that entire area; if you go with the same examiner, he *may* retest you only on what you failed.

sorry to hear this man :(

I hate checkrides myself, everything is so awkard in there. I wish it never existed. I usually opt to continue, but I have learned that is a stupid mistake, next time, i'm just going to head back home.

just a curious question, do these hurt you on your interviews? because I know/heard that they ask if you failed any checkrides. I hope they won't mind my private :(

Sorry about your checkride bust. I would encourage you, however, to rethink the lessons you've learned from this experience. I can't tell from your post that you've accepted any responsiblity whatever for the events that occurred.

Nor will you. I performed as well on the ride as conditions permitted, but certain elements like weather were beyond my control--other than to call off the ride and wait for better weather, and that just wasn't an option for me. Unstable air is unstable air, and I defy you, or my DE or Chuck Yeager to maintain altitude within 50' in turbulent air. Hell, we're taught to maintain ATTITUDE in rough air and accept variations in altitude, are we not? (Not that that's what I did, I'm just saying.) I just flew out of COS in a CRJ at noon, and we had the exact same conditions--lots of updrafts and downdrafts. It's just the nature of the beast sometimes, especially in summer in mountainous areas.

Maybe I should say something along the lines of "my failure was due to my inability to maintain altitude in those conditions." But the PTS even states: "The tolerances represent the performance expected in good flying conditions." (Emphasis mine) I'm perfectly capable of performing all the maneuvers to PTS in good flying conditions, and that's all the PTS expects; nowhere does it require performance to a standard in other than good flying conditions, which is the standard my DPE held me to. Then again, what constitudes "good flying conditions" is left to the examiner to evaluate. Maybe I should've given him the controls and had him evaluate them right then and there.

Yeah, I'm still grumpy about the ride. I'll get over it.

I performed well on the ride

You don't have the experience to make that judgement. I'm puzzled you would think otherwise.

Hell, we're taught to maintain ATTITUDE in rough air and accept variations in altitude, are we not?

That's for a thunderstorm. You're grasping at straws here.;)

Your failure won't hurt you when looking for a job, but demonstrating a "nothing is ever my fault" attitude will.

I agree with tgrayson on what he said. You have to have the right attitude and be able to say, weather (not whether) or not, I should have done better than that. However, I also feel you just were delt a bad day to do your ride, but I also agree that unless the examiner has a 90%+ fail rate then if he thought you should be able to do it then it was probably possible to do. A lot of us have done plenty of checkrides in our day, and sometimes you get delt a good hand and sometimes you get delt a bad hand, you just have to shake it off and show the next time ready to beat it. I would however recommend going back to the same examiner and doing it again. I think it will turn out better than going to another one. (IMHO)

Good luck to you and please keep us updated with your situation. CHEERS

But the PTS even states: "The tolerances represent the performance expected in good flying conditions." (Emphasis mine) I'm perfectly capable of performing all the maneuvers to PTS in good flying conditions, and that's all the PTS expects; nowhere does it require performance to a standard in other than good flying conditions, which is the standard my DPE held me to.

I'm with the examiner on this one. If someone is applying for a commercial license, then I'm sure as hell the passengers you fly will want a pilot who can perform in all conditions, not one who can only be relied upon if the conditions are good. Tgray is right on, accept the blame. As a commercial pilot, you must demonstrate mastery of the aircraft in all conditions. Go get'em next time!

While I agree with your premise, the FAA does not support your assertion that the standard is "demonstrate mastery of the aircraft in all conditions", as the PTS makes clear; again, "The tolerances represent the performance expected in good flying conditions."

The issue is not about accepting blame or responsibility for my performance, but one of examiners applying their own personal requirements instead of strict adherence to the PTS. When "good flying conditions" do not exist, the FAA does not expect applicants to meet the published tolerances, and neither should examiners. (It's too bad we don't have any DPEs on the board to offer their $0.02...)

p.s., just so there's no confusion, this is purely an academic discussion; I'm taking my lumps and pressing on--though I won't be going back to Colorado for the recheck, it's simply not cost-effective.

It does get kind of frustrating sometimes trying to figure out what thier interpetations are. Case in point; we have a DPE here that failed a ppl because he did not check his mags before taking off from a confined. He stated it was a safety issue. Nowhere in the PTS does it say to check the mag during the max performance takeoff. It is just something he feels that should be taught and is failing people for it.
Shane

Can a DE decide that the conditions are not conducive to continuing the ride and call it off without giving a pink slip?

It does get kind of frustrating sometimes trying to figure out what thier interpetations are. Case in point; we have a DPE here that failed a ppl because he did not check his mags before taking off from a confined. He stated it was a safety issue. Nowhere in the PTS does it say to check the mag during the max performance takeoff. It is just something he feels that should be taught and is failing people for it.
Shane

That's odd!

"check the mag during the max performance takeoff"

Now, there's one I've never heard of before.

Even though he's talking about helos - me neither!

Can a DE decide that the conditions are not conducive to continuing the ride and call it off without giving a pink slip?

He can issue a discontinuance - happened to my CFII student last week. Weather conditions were getting too poor so he called it off.

You gotta remember I fly piston helo.(although this week I got time in an EC 120). My theroy is that a mag will not go bad on the ground more than likley it will be during the approach. In which case you abort the op.
Shane

Back